Best Skivvies/undershorts/underwear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend-T

Reaction score
Okay,

This may be a delicate topic, but I am looking for the best hiking underwear for three season hiking. I have tried underarmor, and generic wicking boxer breifs, as well as plain old cotton. All produce chaffing in.... :mad: lets just say.... all the wrong places :eek:.

So does anyone have a good reccomendation for guys' hot weather hiking undershorts?

Peace

Rev-T

The best underwear is no underwear. :D

To prevent chafing, lubricate. Vaseline is foul and hard to wash off; avoid it. There are many water-soluble lubricating sticks and creams available. Mueller's Runner's Lube is the best, if you can find it. Bodyglide is readily available at many places, including REI.

Steve

When I got back into hiking about two years ago I started out "commando" but after the first long, hot hike had to walk like John Wayne for a day or two because of the chaffing :eek:

Since then I wear tight fitting wicking boxers then throw a little baby powder in for good measure. Not had a chaffing problem since.

The legs have to be long enough to cover the rub zone and have to fit tight. That way your skin does not rub against the boxers, the boxers rub against your shorts.

The usual disclaimer applies, Your Mileage May Vary. Stocks can go down as well as up. The grass is... ok, enough.

Bob

Lightweight running shorts with the built-in briefs have worked for me. Most types are pretty minimalist and are made to avoid chafing even for running marathons.

shorts

I am someone who has that problem quite often and have tried many different types of underwear. I started using TNF shorts ( I think they are the class V shorts but mine dont have cargo pockets like the new ones do) with a built in mesh underwear and am happy to say that I very seldom have the chaffing issues anymore, it seems the airflow of the mesh keeps things a little drier but the built in breif gives seperation so you dont have the commando issues. Hope it helps. Mike D.

Generally, I weah Nike perfo'mance boxah briefs. I got 'em wicked cheap at Walmaht! :) When it's warm I'll wear a pair of mesh-lined quickdrying shorts. They keep me cool and dry, I can jump into any swimminghole, and my boys are well supported. :D As far as the chaffing goes, I haven't had it but, I hear many who swear by Runner's Lube.

Time for some females to chime in...

Calling all female hikers...This topic of conversation came up this past weekend between my husband and I on the trail. We have some long thru hikes coming up and I am undecided what to do in the "panty" department...What are the preferences out there among women: comando? silky? cotton? something to wash and wear or pack multiple pairs?? Any advice and/or input?

go commando

none - more problems than they are worth - and to combat swampass - put a buttload (literally) of vaseline or diaper rash cream in the "areas" -

this isn't a joke and works like a charm

I like using shorts with built-in undies, either nylon or mesh....very comfortable and no issues whats so ever. If I am wearing pants than I just go o-natural.

MEB
I was in REI this weekend with my wife with the idea of getting her trail ready for day hikes. She was not impressed by what she saw. She is always in the gym doing aerobics,

So what are these shorts with built in undies? Where do you find them? How are they different from everyday nylon panties.
I wear wicking briefs and have no problems hence my ignorance.

Thanks

Shorts

Hi Puck,

First, I think there is a great market opportunity out there for someone to desgin comfortable/functional hiking wear! About 10 years ago EMS carried cordoura shorts with a built in mesh liner, just like a men's bathing suit, elastic waist, so no need to deal with seams, zippers, buttons, etc. (why do they make it so hard!!) Unfortunately, they do not make them anymore and the last pair I remeber seeing like this were made by Northface and Ragged Mountain carried them. I recently bought just a regular pair of nylon gym shorts that had the built in nylon undie...I actually bought them at Target! I wore them this past weekend backpacking and they were very comfortable, no chaffing or wedgies, and they dried out very quickly. The reason I like to go with the built ins is that they seem to stay put, so no wedgies, and its much easier to deal with one piece of clothing as opposed to two.

I hope this helps and good luck shopping!

MEB

Here's a thread I started on the subject of chafing that went on for a while:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5039&highlight=chaffing

After a few John Wayne imitations of my own and a reading of that thread and thinking about the problem here's what has worked for me so far:
At home before driving to the TH I wash the target area with soap and water then towel dry. Next I apply over-the-counter cortisone cream and unscented deodorant (in no particular order). Finally, I wear tight boxers as described in a previous post on this thread. No more John Wayne!
One last thing, in summer I usually carry spare boxers that I put on once I arrive at the summit.

Double Bow said:
Thanks for the warning Neil! I'll be sure to leave the summit before you get there!:D
LOL! I guess I shoulda mentioned that I take for cover THEN change into fresh underwear. Incidentally, chafing is more of a guy problem because the male pelvis is narrower and our legs tend to be thicker.

I'm an underwear gal all the way. Not a fan of reusing the same liner over several days of backpacking and underwear helps the aforementioned "area" stay relatively "fresh." I also pack baby wipes and use 'em at least once a day and dry off after. That really helps the chaffing issue (we gals get it too). Like a mini bath.

As was mentioned, commando can cause chafing too from the pants or shorts.

I have gone the next step to going with a kilt worn traditionally.
No chafe at all and when you summit, you just let the breeze dry you out for the trip home. (makes bladder calls a bit easier as well.)

I Feel So Low Tech

For 3 season, I just use good ol' cotton. Never had a problem. I do carry an extra pair & change with the sox. But, having read this thread, now I have more gear to buy!

Couple of summers back I picked up some briefs by Exofficio. They're a silky, mesh-like weave that seems to dry out WICKED fast. Best stuff I've ever used.