Best Skivvies/undershorts/underwear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 10 years ago EMS carried cordoura shorts with a built in mesh liner, just like a men's bathing suit, elastic waist, so no need to deal with seams, zippers, buttons, etc. (why do they make it so hard!!) Unfortunately, they do not make them anymore and the last pair I remeber seeing like this were made by Northface and Ragged Mountain carried them.

The New Balance outlet in Allston, carries men’s and women’s nylon shorts with built in undies for around $10 a pop. They're longer than your typical running short (I'm 6'-4" and the XL size goes well below the middle of my thigh) and are therefore more comfortable to wear hiking or around camp. On backpacking trips, I'll pack two or three pair and rotate to keep "my boys" happy. I also wear them in the water, although the lighter colors can be a bit revealing when wet.

sp1936 said:
The best underwear is no underwear. :D

"I'm out there Jerry ... and I'm loving every minute of it!"

No thanks. I prefer briefs. Want to keep my "boys" in there place. Luckily no problems here with plain old cotton.

Good question ....

I've tried a couple different combos, and I've been happy with the Ex-officio wicking undies. But since I like wearing undies most as a friction layer between my hip-belt and skin, I've been thrilled with the new Mountain Hardware "Pack" pants. They have an unbelievably comfy lining right where the pants would rub. They were a little expensive for my tastes, but damn are they comfy and I'll likely buy more.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/action/catalog/DisplayStyle?id=843

And for you who prefer the "kilt" look (?!), they even have similarly-lined hiking attire: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/action/catalog/DisplayStyle?id=39

Ok...I'll be the first guy to mention the Thong word.
That and a little powder.
... ok more information than you'd like to know ?? Well I didn't say it was a pretty sight. (we are talking under clothes)

Look at it this way.. remember those old National Geographics...they didn't show a bunch of women runnng around in thongs...it was the men folk wearing them... I'd say they had things pretty well covered...err I mean figured out..

Kilt Curious

Okay,

This kilt idea has me curious. I have seen the Mt. Hardware Kilt and liked the ones at utilikilt. But really, how are they to hike in and what kinds of looks do they get?

Peace

Rev. T

I like to wear lycra running tights (mid thigh shorts) under my shorts, or sometimes just the lycra running shorts with a longer t-shirt. I don't chafe when I wear them. I fina I always chafe with my ex-officio shorts with a built in liner - The problem I find with some built in liners is my pants ride lower over the course of a few hours and cause the liner to start rubbing between my thighs, rather than staying in place. I have found that the best pain relief (and chafe preventer) is good old Desitin used for diaper rash - It smells like codfish a little bit, but it really helps to heal.

"Don't you see Elaine? The only thing that separates him from us is a thin layer of Gabardine...."

Last edited:
You can purchase some HIND shorts at EMS. They have a built in liner and work wonders. I even bought a pair of HIND running shorts.

I also recommend EMS Skivvies. They are new this season (or at least appear to be). They are a techwhick-like boxer but wick away sweat masterfully. Also a great thing.

And if your looking for a lube of some kind to prevent chaffing... Albee turned me towards this stuff called "Body Glide." It can be found at most running stores. You rub it on like deoderant to chaffing prone areas and you hardly even know its there. Chaffing.. no way!

;)

I have a couple of pairs of Patagonia poly briefs. They wear quite comfortably with no riding up or wedgies........they are expensive but my experience with Patagonia is that their products last forever.

Rev T.....I have seen Barry Sr. in a kilt and he wears it well. I suppose some of the looks he has gotten are not unlike these: :eek: :D :confused: :p

I'm a fan of tight cotton/lycra shorts (mid-thigh) with a nice slathering of J&J Clean and Clear. It tingles (who can say no to that?), but doesn't sting, lubes well, and prevents clogged pores. It's my cycling lube of choice...

Waumbek said:
Ditto Grumpy on the cornstarch. It's so good that oncologists recommend it to radiation patients for burns and irritation. Cheap. In a crunch, edible too (I think).
Only edible BEFORE you apply them to the chafing areas....

Reverend-T said:
This kilt idea has me curious. I have seen the Mt. Hardware Kilt and liked the ones at utilikilt. But really, how are they to hike in and what kinds of looks do they get?

What kind of looks do you get?

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/kilt.jpg

What I wear: Running shorts. At least in the warmer weather. I find them a bit cool in winter.

Last edited:
A kilt in black fly season? Yeah, right. EMS, North Conway, was carrying shorts with liners last year. Exofficio, is what the inside label says. Very light weight,soft, cargo pockets, built in belt and thigh draw straps and liners. They dried very quickly, were comfortable. Find a nice stream, take a plunge and in five minutes they were dry. I believe they were about $40. As a runner I always had problems, so they seem to work well for me.

I have discovered after much looking around and failed tries that the BEST undies for me are actually Victoria's Secret "Body by Victoria" synthetic low rise bikinis. On sale, during the semi annual sale, they run about $6 each, they are comfy, prevent chaffing better than most others I have tried, can be washed and dried very quickly, are lightweight and come in many pretty colors (that's always a bonus) :D

Cotton causes issues and the no undies thing, well let's just say I am an undies girl. I used them on the Long Trail and they worked wonderfully. They also have the advantage of being synthetic, cuz you know cotton kills ;)

sli74

P.S. Anti-perspirant prevents chaffing, use it liberally anywhere you chafe, just keep that stick separate from the other :D

sli74 said:
the BEST undies for me are actually Victoria's Secret "Body by Victoria" synthetic low rise bikinis. :D
Brian, you are a lucky, lucky man, I repeat, a lucky, lucky man!!!!
(as I slowly get down to the kneeling position)
Repeat after me: "All Hail Brian!!!!!!"

Thanks for making my day today Seema - You'll give me something to smile about as I bike to work this morning and plan my dinner discussion with my wife. (Picturing self later pleading to wife, "But, Honey, see, Seema wears them hiking..... Y'know, Cotton Kills and she would know....")
:)

Last edited:
I've tried several types of underwear and prefer the Smartwool Boxers.