Best Snowshoes when Crampons would be better

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Desalad said:
I understand that there are situations that are appropriate for both. My intention is that I want to buy a pair of snowshoes, and can't also afford to buy a pair of crampons.

I have enough experience to know that they co-exist for a reason. I'm going to check out the MSR Lightning Ascent's.

Thanks
Good Luck. The woods are so full of great hikes that won't require crampons... not saying you won't ever need them but if you can only have snowshoes right now it won't limit you from doing plenty of fun hikes.

-Dr. Wu

If you get the plastic MSR's you can save enough for some crampons for the few times you will need them. They are $140.

Garden Rake

HAMTERO said:
If you get the plastic MSR's you can save enough for some crampons for the few times you will need them. They are $140.
You can also rent crampons. Also, do you have a spare garden rake -- I bet you could fashion yerself a nice pair of crampons with a few spares!

-Dr. Wu

As far as Sherpas go, they do quite well on steep terrain, but as was stated before, you can't buy them anymore. However, you'll find a recently posted thread on this board ("Hope for lovers of Sherpa snowshoes" - sorry I don't know how to make a link to it) describing a replacement "Sherpa" snowshoe and binding that looks to be identical, from IRL. If you go with Sherpas, I guess that's where you would want to buy them.

Thanks again. I've been hiking/camping in the winter for several years, each time renting snowshoes from REI. They have sufficed. One year I bought crampons to supplement the rented snowshoes. The crampons broke (Black Diamond Contact Strap - the rear hard plastic binding sliced in half by one of the points on my opposite foot) so I returned them.

Now I'm looking to buy some equipment, one piece at a time.

Thanks again.

Desalad said:
I understand that there are situations that are appropriate for both. My intention is that I want to buy a pair of snowshoes, and can't also afford to buy a pair of crampons.

I have enough experience to know that they co-exist for a reason. I'm going to check out the MSR Lightning Ascent's.

Thanks

The lightning's look interesting, but I think a better choice would be the Denali ascents or the EVO ascents. I think they're cheaper and a bit more versatile with the differing length tails you can buy....