beta light tarp and other ultra light shelters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am another person who casts their vote for a Shires Tarptent. We own the Rainshadow and have used it exclusively since we got it this season. It holds my husband, my LARGE 80+ dog, myself, and our gear very nicely. We have stayed dry in rain and wind.
http://www.tarptent.com/tt3.html

I am surprised to here this comment from one poster:
On the downside, I was unable to use my trekking pole to pitch it, so I had to use the supplied collapsible pole.

I'm not sure what TYPE of trekking pole the above poster uses but I don't even bother to pack the supplied front pole...I ONLY use one trekking pole for the front which I have found to be stable and secure even in wind. I have pitched this tent with BOTH Lekki and Black Diamond Poles...the rubber tips of the poles DO have to be removed but when they are removed the tips fit just fine in the grommet hole. When pitching this tent on a tentplatform you might not always be able to pitch the tent for optimal conditions and best ventilation since the limiting factor is the tent platform itself NOT the tarptent. When camping in the woods with this tent and pitching with the small end into the wind I give this tent supurb marks...even in the rain and wind.

We own the sewn in floor..completely zipped model and I have only great things to say about this tent...it's WONDERFUL to have complete rain and bug protection for such little weight. I will also say that even in the rain we had only minor condensation...the ventilation on this tent when pitched properly is FANTASTIC!!!!

Last edited:
I haven’t used it much yet but so far the Tarptent Cloudburst has worked pretty well for me, too. Set-up is easy, even on a platform. Ventilation is great. Had quite a bit of condensation one night but everything was wet – the platform and my pack outside were also soaked. Despite all the moisture, everything stayed dry inside because the tent is so roomy that even with two people nothing was brushing up against the sides or top.

..other ultralight shelters

ecc--

Look at this website http://royrobinson.homestead.com/index.html
and scope out the ponchotarp with bugcage. If both you and your husband have ponchotarps, you can pitch them face-to-face with one pair of hiking poles for support and have a rather spacious tent with open front. About 10 oz per person, works for me. Very similar silnylon poncho tarps are available from Campmor if you're not into sewing them.

Walt

I made a very light "bivy" with WP floor and sides but breathable water resistant top and detachable bug mesh hood. It weighs 6.8/5.5 oz with/without mesh top attached (velcro). Also made a medium sized shaped tarp out of a sil-nylon poncho. It's about 8-9 ft. long and about 6-8 ft. wide, weighs about 18 oz with all lines attached. My "system" is thus considerably less than 2 lbs. and permits a wide variety of combinations to achieve near perfect climate control comfort. This fits in well with my ultra light fine tune-able sleep layering system (another topic). Was hoping to be able to use the "tarp-o" as a hiking poncho but my shelter requirements made it too large for that, plus I didn't like detaching and re-attaching all the lines. However it does serve well as a hunker down and wait it out stationary poncho.

Sometimes you just have to think outside the box and/or make your own stuff...

I just got the Black Diamond Firstlight. I've only used it 2 nights thus far but so far, really great. What I love about it:
1) Light, about 2lb 10oz (I'm saving almost 5 lbs over my SD Omega, itself a good tent)
2) Freestanding, pitching is a breeze vs. tarps and the hoop styles tent, especially on platforms (like I encounter in the Whites most often)
3) Single wall that breathed really, really well. It was just me solo one night but it was a pretty humid night and it was farily dry inside
4) It packs tiny.
5) I like floors and nets and do not like bugs and camp mice with me where I'm sleeping
6) As it gets cooler (when I do most of my trips), I think it will get better as it will be more suited to the climate and it will be a killer winter tent.

Question marks?
1) It's technically not waterproof (ultra water repellent). It rained pretty good for about 2 hours on my second night with it and drizzled the rest of the night. No leaks, but you have to wonder.
2) Pricey. I paid 270 online (can't remember which place).
3) No vestibule. They nail you for that extra. This is primarily my solo shelter so it's a damn palace for that. For 2 of us, it will be tight but I can't imagine carrying my heavier tents anymore.

Hope that helps.

Mark Driscoll said:
Hi,

Has anyone tried the MSR Missing Link or any of the other MRS light weight tents. I looked at the Tarptents that Johnnycakes talked about and they look good. I think the small added weight of the 3 man is the way to go.

Mark

check out this thread on another BB. MSR Missing Link

I guess I'm at a loss here...If I paid $250+ for a tent and the grommets pulled out with seemingly little effort, why not send it back and get a refund?

Expressing your dissatisfaction with a product would help a company with refining their design, and would lead to better products for us, the consumers...no?

Like sli74 I also like a tent for many of the same reasons he mentioned. I went w/ a north face canyonlands. 3 lbs. 12 oz. packed weight. Its 98x 42 w/ 38 inch peak height. it also has a 9 sf. vestibule which is the length of the tent and about 10" to a foot out. I leave my boots and all my cook gear and such in the vestibule and all my other gear in the tent , I am 6 ft. tall and 210 and have plenty of room. just my 2 cents :D

Trekking poles

Ann,
I use a Komperdell ski pole as my hiking staff and the metal tip of it is a bit large and short for the gromet. Nevertheless, I don't consider it a hassle to carry the pole provided with the Tarptent. I'm sure it does work with other types of poles. Just not with mine.
ecc