Beta on the Apostle Islands/Keweenaw Waterway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxs

Reaction score
Jim and I are really thinking ahead to next year. we are looking at a multi week trip to the upper peninsula of Mich and to Wisconsin that will involve paddling, hiking and possibly mountian biking. We are interested in paddling around the Apostle Islands. I read the information on the NPS website. I am looking for other recommended reading and personal experience. I have also looked into the Keweenaw waterway website but have not purchased the map yet. Looking for similar information here; literature or personal experience. I realize the Keweenaw waterway encompasses a large area. We are looking for information to try and pick a particular area to paddle. Oh yeah, looking multi day trips with camping.

For relevant background reading and appetite whetting: The Fourth Coast

Since you seem to have the time, a trip into Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park is recommended.

Weather is a major consideration for paddling on Lake Superior. Here's some weather data for locations of interest. Pay close attention to forecasts -- summer and fall storms are capable of a violence rarely seen here in New England apart from nor'easters. (My mom, dad and uncle got knocked down by a storm while sailing on the lake -- she learned what a keel's REAL function is as a result.) EDIT: Here are water temperature charts.

Last edited:
Yes I've read about the weather on Superior. I've done hiking along the lake; Isle Royale and Pukaswa in Ontario and have experienced bad weather on the land. Lucky for me, Jim is a master chief boswains mate in the USCG. On the water since age 18 and anal about the weather. He's done alot of SAR work and is not one to let us take chances. We have ocean kayaking experience behind us which should be helpful