"Bi"pyramids in the snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
The original plan called for a trip over the Tripyramids by way of Scaur Ridge and down the South Slide with AMSTony and Alpinista. However, as I got closer to the Livermore trailhead, it seemed as though that plan would be altered. There was this white stuff all over the ground, and it was cold! The higher up I looked, the more white stuff there was. As a lifelong summer hiker, this was the latest in the year I had ever hiked. Tony and I planned this one a few weeks ago, thinking a mid-fall hike would be OK weather wise. The weather was fine, clear and crisp. Well....cold. I was in shorts and had to zip the legs onto the shorts. Ditched the baseball cap and donned a ski hat and gloves. Ever the fashionista, Alpinista was styling, all color-coordinated :) . Tony and I looked like, you know, two guys out hiking :eek: .

We met up with Geneva and Sal and their husbands (whose names escape me, sorry guys!) and set off down the Livermore Trail about 9 AM, making excellent time. On to the Scaur Ridge Trail, which started off nice, but the fun soon ended. Icy rock slabs, wet roots and blowdowns were the obstacles. The temperature didn't seem to drop and we had a casualty to the cold. Alpinista's feet were getting colder and she decided to head back. As she carefully made her way down, the rest went just as carefully up. We arrived at the summit of North TriP and were met with some nice views. We figured that we would only to North and Middle today, the South Slide figured to be too icy to go down. Tony and I put on stabilicers, dropped our packs and scooted over to Middle TriP. I have never used traction devices before, and was impressed with how they worked. At Middle TriP, we met three hikers who came up the South Slide and were celebrating a 48th peak. Congrats, that was a tough way to finish up. We took a few pictures from Middle, and played what mountain is that over there, which would have been easier if anyone was motivated enough to take out a map :D .

Back to North TriP, then down the icy slabs, which wasn't bad with the stabilicers on. Once off the slabs, we took off the traction and made our way down. The snow cover didn't melt off until we were almost back to the Livermore Trail. We got back to the parking lot about 4 PM, covering 13 miles in about seven hours. Alpinista was waiting for us, all comfy and cozy in the car. Once again I looked in my trunk, and found that the trail gnomes had left beer!

I had a great time, great views, and certainly look forward to hiking with Tony and Alpinista again soon. I took a few pictures, and would have taken more, but the camera kept freezing on me.

Bobby, Tony, Sal, Geneva and the gang -- it was a blast hooking up with such an amazing crew!

I was glad I ended up turning around. Not only were my feet soaked but I was just plum pooped after the slog back along the Livermore trail. I couldn't believe how much of the snow had absolutely disappeared on the way back down. It looked like a completely different trail!

Pix will be posted tonight...

Bobby, Tony, and Alpinista - it was great hiking with you guys! We were a little surprised at all the snow, especially at such low elevations, but it was a beautiful sight! Bobby, congrats on #19!

sal

Yep, I had a great time this weekend with this hike and this crew! Approximately 13 miles, 3000 feet elevation gain and SNOW! Not much but enough (2"-4", ice) to make it interesting and fun. The wind and cold was RAW as soon as you stepped into the open on the summits. The views were great.

If your heading to the higher peaks from now on make sure you go prepared with stabilicers or yak tracks and cold weather gear.

Last edited:
I was one of the 3 hikers on middle try

Bobby and crooo- I was the hiker finishing my 48th on middle Tripyramid on Saturday-It was one of the few times I did not ask if other hikers I meet if they post on VFTP- A friend emailed me to ask if I was one of the 3 in your post-thanks for the honorable mention, congratulations and taking our summit photo- enjoyed leap frogging with you on the way down- hope to bump into you again…. Marty

great trip report!!!

Bear tracks

Sal's husband Mark spotted bear tracks in the snow just off the trail. Did anyone else see them? We never would have known he'd been there if it hadn't been for the snow. Very cool!

Congratulations to Bobby, Mark, and Dan for adding a couple more peaks to their lists. And a big congrats to zman for #48!

The snow added to the challenge of a long hike, but it was a great day!! So nice to meet some new folks. See you again on the trails!

Geneva

Ooooo thanks for the report, I am doing a rematch of the tripyramids peak on 11/4 for my NH48. I biked livermore in August (before I knew about the NH48, let alone its no bike on livermore trail rule!) so I gotta redo it. Dont know if I am crazy about climbing the slide at this time of year or if I will bypass. I have stabilicers but.. That slide is pretty steep!