big idea-skiing thru the pemi? any interest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one would sure have do do a lot of backtracking to tft if shoal pond were blocked at one of the crossings. It sounds like its best to wait for a lot of snow later in the season. It probably isn't even doable now, I bet all the crossings are open. I wonder how deep it is up there. It sounds like most of the water flowing into stillwater junction area comes from the shoal pond brook? I would think one would ski 2 mph or 2.5 mph out there. Is that unrealistic?

> one would sure have do do a lot of backtracking to tft if shoal pond were blocked

Agreed. Was just noting it as an alternative. However, if one became concerned by the time one reached the decision point, one could take it without penalty. It is certainly worth carrying copies of the guidebook descriptions of both trails.

> It probably isn't even doable now

Agreed. Too much ice, not enough snow, too much rain/meltwater.

> ski 2 mph or 2.5 mph out there

Perhaps. Remember, the average speed has to take into account snow conditions, all stops, and time wasted route-finding, playing with gear, eating, etc. 21 or 25 miles is also a long way--one has to pace for the full trip. (Nice thing about going solo--you can set your own pace without regard to others. For whatever reason, my longest hikes and skis have been solo.)

I have skied Lincoln Wds Tr to the bridge at Franconia brook in 3/4 hr (4mph) ( 20 or 40lb? lb pack), but it was a long time ago and a nearly level set track.

On my 25mi loop the total was 25mi/17.5hrs = 1.5mph with a 20lb pack. IIRC, it took me about 2hrs to go from the suspension bridge to Lincoln woods (5.4mi/2hrs = 2.7mph) at the end of the ski. 9hrs from the parking lot to the juction of SPT and EPT (includes a 20min foot problem stop, route finding difficulties, a sidetrip across the river and back to check out the snowshoer's tracks, a bunch of trail breaking, and skins for some of the steeper climbs) and 8.5 hrs back to the parking lot (more trail breaking, skiing by headlamp). All of these times were with very good ski conditions and waxed skis.

If the trail had been broken and I hadn't had to waste any time (1st aid stop, skins, route finding etc), I probably would have been able to save 1-3 hrs.
Still that would have been 25mi/14.5hrs = 1.7mph. (BTW, I'm not the fastest skier around...)

I guess that 2 to 2.5mph is possible with strong skiers, good conditions, appropriate gear, and minimal delays. From N-to-S, there is no difficult skiing or route finding (SPT route) so darkness should not be a problem if you bring headlamps. (My original hope had been to get back to Crystal Brook by sunset...) From S-to-N, parts of the section between Zealand Pond and the summer Zealand parking lot might be a little difficult under headlamp.

I did take a double lunch, which worked out well. Brought my standard amount of water (1.5l) figuring that I could resupply from the streams, but there was no accessible open water. Ran out on the way back--should have brought 2.5l.

Doug

sounds like shoal pond trail is easier and safer as long as brook is covered, even though its longer?