Bike Week

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
How crazy is it to consider coming to the Whites during the last weekend of Bike Week? The current plan is to park around the Basin or Lafayette Campground on Friday morning and return to the car Sunday afternoon.

Dunno, it seems to always rain then. :) I've been in the Whites during "bike week" because I think I had a coupe of pressie traverses for the TBS that coincided with "bike week". You'll hear them roaring up I-91 and the likes for sure...

Jay

I dont see any issues with bike weeks impact to your plans as long as you dont mind the sounds of bikes running on the roads far down below. Obviously you need to plan on avoiding the Lakes Region of NH and also plan on keeping an eye on speed when driving as NH law enforcement gets very intense during the period. If you can approach the whites from the west (I 91) or Rt 2 in the north, you shouldnt see any traffic issues. One place to avoid is the Kanc, it is a major motorcycle thoroughfare during the week and parking and driving could be slow.

It is leading into the busier part of the summer in the whites so backcountry sites might be a bit crowded, then again the mosquitoes will still be out in force so that might cut down the crowds a bit. As mentioned previously, Bike Week seems to be a excellent indicator of marginal weather for at least part of the week, it has gotten partially wash out for the last several years.

It sounds like you're talking about a 2-nite backpack, and if thats the case then you'll be fine. The trails aren't any more crowded that week than they usually are, but the roads, parking lots and roadside campgrounds are much busier, especially in good weather.

Personally, I try to stay away that week, but it depends on your level of tolerence for noise and traffic. It's worse on the major routes - 112, 302, 3, 16 - so if you're on trails that run off the Kanc or Franconia Notch, for instance, dont be surprised if you can still hear the bikes an hour or two into your hike, depending on the winds.

But if you're after a "mountain experience", it might be a good time to go a little further out - Grafton Notch, Evans Notch, Mahoosics, Cabot, Waumbek, Great North Woods, etc. That's what I do anyway.