Black Dome Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&A

Reaction score
Hi, we're new to this board, and from DC (not known for its majestic, mountainous vistas), but have a question that someone might be able to field. We're planning a trip to the Black Dome range (Fri-Sun) but, with the six inches of snow for Thursday in the area, are not sure where we should begin our hike. Unfortunately, there's no 4WD on my Honda Accord so I'm wondering what the roads and trailheads will be like Friday afternoon. We're looking at either beginning from CR78 and taking the Escarpment Tr. up, Barnum Rd directly to the range trail, or CR56 to the range trail. Also, how is the ascent that begins at Barnum? It looks a bit rigorous, especially after a 6 hour drive up from Maryland. Thanks all

If there's only 6 inches of new snow on Thursday, I don't think you'll have any problems reaching any of those trailheads on Friday. Around here, Syracuse, and I'll imagine in the Catskills, too, that's not enough snow to even slow things down. Sorry, though, I can't help you with the trails themselves, as I'm a relatively new Catskill hiker.

teejay

Two of our fellow VFTTers have a post on the Trip Reports forum from their Blackhead Range traverse last Saturday. They went over and back from Barnum Rd. Starting from Barnum Rd., the walk up to Thomas Cole is a long, gradual ascent taking about 2 hours. Then it's a quick, easy stroll over to Black Dome, where you'll find one of the Catskills best lookouts. The col between BD and Blackhead (known as Lockwood Gap) is much deeper than the gap between TC and BD, and this will probably be the most challenging part. You may need crampons, particularly for the ascent of Blackhead.

The most "efficient" route may be the one starting from the end of Big Hollow Rd.(CR 56) - go up Blackhead, back down, then over BD to TC, and back out the way you came. This is what myself and several others did a few weeks ago. We barebooted, but that was before the snow on 1/22. We'll see what Thursday brings.

As for starting on CR 78 and taking the Colgate Lake Trail to the Escarpment, I've never done that route. It would definitely add a lot of mileage, and it's probably the least used route to these peaks, and would likely contain the most unbroken snow cover. I wouldn't recommend this for a winter day-hike.
If you're doing this as a backpack and want a longer route, it may be the way to go.

Matt

Howdy, I'm one of the two VFTTrs that Matt mentions. First, it is the Blackhead Range not the Black Dome range, even though Black Dome is the highest of the three peaks.

The most popular and common route is from Big Hollow Road (aka CR56), as far as the roads, I think the storm is supposed to go by tonight into tomorrow morning so by Friday, I think you folks would be fine for most of the roads. To get to Big Hollow, you can either get off at Exit 20 and go up Rt 32 to 32A to Palenville and then to Rt 23A west to Rt 23C in Tannersville to CR40 (maplecrest Road). That road will take you past Barnum and shortly after to Big Hollow Road. Right by Barnum is a nice hill that you should be careful on, the turn for Barnum is on this switchback. The other way is to go to exit 21 on the NYS Thruway to Rt 23 towards Cairo, go through the DEC land by the end of the escarpment trail and take some roads south to Big Hollow. That is probably the easier way to get to Big Hollow if conditions are bad. Rt 23 being a state highway, they're for sure to be plowed and you wont have to go over the hill at Barnum on Rt 40 if you're going to Big Hollow.

Enuf with the driving, shouldn't be a problem going over the hill actually, but just a warning.

As far as trails go, the climb to Thomas Cole from Barnum is fairly gradual, if you find out report "A Day on the Blackhead Range", you'll see that Dr Wu and I did a daytrip out to BH and back from about 7:15am to 5pm with plenty of stops to enjoy the views, and time to switch from crampons to snowshoes.

The climb to BH or BD from the end of BH road will be steeper and shorter. Seems like you're planning on camping? I presume at the Batavia Kill leanto? You would certainly be able to hike the three peaks on the Saturday after staying at the leanto Friday night.. Then staying there on Saturday night and taking a short hike out on Sunday? If you have any plans on sunday, you could possibly do a loop to Acra Point/Burnt knob and then take the trail back down to Big Hollow.. Would leave you enough time to get back to DC.

Jay

Thanks, Jay! That's plenty of great information all of which I will consider carefully. I have studied your trip report and I'm certain it'll be helpful when setting out. Sorry for misquoting the name of the range, the source of confusion is likely my NY Trail conference map of the Catskills which names the trail from Barnum ascending TC and BD the Black Dome Range Trail. We'll probably take the route starting at Barnum Rd or from CR56 and hit Windham on Sunday as a day-hike before we leave for home. Again, thanks everyone for the excellent help.

That would be a long hike out and back, It is about 9 miles from the summit of Blackhead to WHP, from the BK leanto, perhaps 8 miles(?), on the way back you could take the BD trail down to Big Hollow but seems like a long day in winter. The section between the trail to BK to WHP is not that popular as most people who do WHP would do it from either Rt 23 or Peck Rd and the people who do BD and BH don't need to go north on the Escarpment trail. I would advise to be prepared to break trail or spot a car on Peck Rd or if just one car, be prepared to bail out at Acra Pt/Burnt knob rather than go out to WHP. Checking the online guide, it would be 7 miles just to go out and back from Acra Point to WHP.

Jay

Hmm, we'll probably just hike out to the range and back from the Big Hollow trailhead and then drive the car over to the trailhead at Peck Rd (I believe) and go out to Windham High Peak from there and return (approx 7 mi round trip I believe).

teejay said:
If there's only 6 inches of new snow on Thursday, I don't think you'll have any problems reaching any of those trailheads on Friday. Around here, Syracuse, and I'll imagine in the Catskills, too, that's not enough snow to even slow things down. Sorry, though, I can't help you with the trails themselves, as I'm a relatively new Catskill hiker.

teejay

The snow never materialized today. It was all rain. There is still a possability of an inch or two tonight, but the rain probably melted more snow than that. It may be icy on the trail, but the roads should be fine.