Blue Ledges and Balm of Gilead July 10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MikeLib

Did both of these hikes on July 10.
First
Blue Ledges:
Was told this is a gorgeous hike to an interesting part of the Hudson River. I didn't find it too gorgeous, and the end point brought you to the shore of the river with tall steep cliffs opposite.
Trail: Very muddy in some spots but negotiable. Not too many bugs, just some mosquitos. I didn't use bug dope and I was fine.
Special Gear: None

Second
Balm of Gilead Mountain:
I have been wanting to get up this mountain because of the cool name for a while, but never wanted to drive 2 hours just to hike 1.8 RT. I figured I was pretty close why not give it a whirl. It was difficult finding the trailhead in the Garnet Lake Ski Lodge. If you are familiar with the Lodge, go to the Ski Shop and park by the tennis courts. Follow the road to the left of the courts until you see a trail. Stay to the right trail, away from the Hopper Mine and you will run into a sign that points to Balm of Gilead. The trail is in rough shape but very well marked so it was no problem finding my way. The summit is surprisingly beautiful. After spending so much time in the High Peaks it was nice to see something else for a change. The views are of 13th Lake and the Siamese Ponds Wildnerness Area.
No Special Gear
No Mud