Blue Mountain ???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikem'all

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about short hikes some where off the 28, Blue Mountain area? Taking the family to Old Forge water park and just maybe I can sneak a hike in. Not real sure about that area.
Thanks for now!

Blue Mountain is a nice hike - just under 4000'; Goodenow (near the VIC in Newcomb) also has a firetower and nice views, a little smaller and easier; Bald (Rondaxe) just off Rt 28 near Old Forge is short, easy and fun for the whole family; Black Bear is a little longer loop, also right off Route 28 near Inlet. Those are the hikes I've done around Old Forge - you might want to pick up a guidebook for the region for more options. Good luck. Karen

Blue is fairly short (memory from 10+ years) roughly 2.5 each way starts easy, than has a decent length section of constant moderate + (not steep but your climbing) climbing & then a summit with limited views until you get up the stairs on the firetower. Elevation gain to the 3700+ summit I forget but it's probably 1600 - 2200 feet.

Goodnow promises (I had planned on going there in July but did not have time) good views, a gain of just over 1,000 feet & 3.8 RT

On 28N a couple of weeks ago I did 3,385 Ft. Vanderwhacker. 5.4RT 1690 elevation gain to a firetower with great views of the High Peaks. clib maybe similar in style to Blue, good climbing in middle & not bad in beginning or end. I thought forest on top of Vanderwhacker was kind of neat but in 11 years I may just find that more interesting than I did in 1996. (I'm still a view junkie though)

If youb are with your family, take them to the museum and when you are done head back down the hiil and take your first right. There is a sign for minobrook resort. take this road to the parking area next to the resort and climg castle rock. only 600 feet climb and a couple of miles. great view for the whole family to enjoy. nice summit to have lunch on.

I'd actually suggest Black Bear, near Inlet. Bout the same lenth as Blue. Steep little sucker, w/ good views. There's a firetower on Bald (Rondax), but that hike is about 20 minutes up, 15 down.

Thanks guys, all the suggestions sound great. The kids will love the idea of getting a hike in while were down there.
Thanks again