boardwalk traction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
after falling down twice this wkend on slippery wooden boardwalks :eek: , my thoughts drifted back to boardwalk traction.

I was wondering what you all have seen for traction aids built into the boardwalks. Here's my list of what and where, please add to it! I saw one on a recent hike (around Mizpah Hut?) but can't quite remember where or what it was.

• criss-cross-grooves sawn into the boardwalks -- seen various places. Basically just a series of shallow chainsaw cuts at 45 degree angle to the planks. More common when the planks are made from locally-cut logs, vs. out of precut boards which are thinner. I know there's some at the 4th Connecticut Lake Trail (NH/Quebec border) since I helped work on them in September 2001.
  • chicken wire -- Quoddy Trails has done this at a couple of places on the coast in Washington County, Maine. Basically the planks are wrapped in chicken wire.

when i was on the AT in the south, they had heavy, diamond shaped opening wire like used as base for tile floors on many boardwalks--worked super--always wondering why i never see this in the northeast

j

Because in the NE we're all tied up in our shorts about using "natural" materials. They don't have that neurosis in the West, Europe, Nepal, etc. They're smart enough to use what works and lasts.

(/rant off/) :)

TCD

Up in the Mahoosucs near Goose Eye, on a large number of non-level puncheons they've actually nailed cross-strips against which to gain purchase.

I agree, this is a problem. I mean, nobody in their right mind steps on a wet root or log when hiking... but you are supposed to step on wet log bridges and not expect to slip? The criss crosses do make it a lot better and this retrofit could be done without replacing a single board.

When I see

a log or bridge that's been cross-cut, it's saying to me, this thing is slippery. Cross-cutting might help traction a little, but not much and not enough. It's a good warning, though.

teejay

Last edited:
This weekend on Webster Cliff I came across one (out of many but this one was uphill a bit) that actually had the heavy industrial staples in the two boards & they worked well. I'd think a staple gun wouldn't be that heavy to carry either.

Microspikes work great on boards, logs, and roots. I may start using them in summer.....