Bob Dylan, Mt. Greylock, etc...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
This weekend's trip started out on Thursday night with a Bob Dylan concert that required several miles of "hiking" to the venue and several hours of "high steppin" to good music! I know this is a trip report, not a concert review but... Dylan was spectacular. He started out sounding like a frog dying an incredibly painful death but by song three (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)his voice was good and strong. Blew us away with an encore of It Ain't me Babe and Like a Rolling Stone! Went from the concert to a wonderful camp my Dad has near the Long Trail in SW Vermont. Met JayH at the Pine Cobble trailhead in Williamstown and hiked up the Pine Cobble Trail. The trail is moderately steep and it was warm but Jay got a payoff on the summit of Pine Cobble, a brand new set of stainless utensils! Onward to the MASS/VT state line and the beginning of the Long Trail. Below the Seth Warner leanto we made a bushwack over to the camp. Walked in just moments before having to pull out our headlamps. Had a very late dinner but in pretty swanky digs (especially when compared to our accommodations last weekend up in the Whites!). A good nights sleep and then off to Greylock the next morning. We hiked South on the AT from Pattison road. It was quite hot and I had trouble finding a rythym. I seriously considered roping Jay to pull me up! Up to Mt. Williams with a pretty but hazy view, brief stop for the necessities (food and pee...) and for Jay to check out the summit register then onward. Ran into some AT thru-hikers that we would see again the next morning. No views from Mt. Fitch so no stop. Then the last push up Greylock. Not too many people up top, I guess the heat kept folks away. We climbed up in the tower (what a beautiful building!) but views were again limited by the haze. There was a nice breeze on the summmit so we found a shady spot for lunch. Then went into the lodge where Jay got his mandatory ice-cream :)

Continued South on the At to the Hopper Trail. Took a short deviation to the March Cataract Falls (anyone know how they got that name???) where it was much cooler, although not a lot of water in the falls. Jay managed a brief cooling off shower and then we continued on. The Hopper Trail is a very moderate descent but was negatively impacting my already damaged toe :( . As a result, we ended the hike out at Hopper road. A short hike back into the camp where hot showers and a steak dinner awaited us. (Well, steak for Jay, tofu pups for me :) )

Another good nights sleep, a totally awesome vegan breakfast and then the hike back down to Jay's car at the Pine Cobble Trailhead. At the MASS/VT border we ran into some thru-hikers, including the woman we had seen below Mt. Williams the day before. She recognized us and we chatted for awhile. She left PENN on May 16. Two other hikers there had started in Georgia on March 6. They told us their friend (coming up the trail behind them) had done Rainier. So when we saw him on the trail, we stopped and picked his brain. His greatest pieces of advice? Sunscreen and cameras. We've got that covered!

Thanks Jay for a great weekend!

Bob Dylan? Tofu dogs? You hippie freak! :D
Seriously, it's sounds like you had a great time, and I'm sorry I missed it. Jay invited me but I already had Saturday plans w/ a friend. I'm glad you had the run-in w/ the Rainer guy too.

Matt

Dylan at Wahconah Park! Who woulda thunk it? If someone had told me that BD would be performing at a 100 yr. old baseball park, I would have laughed. Maybe there's hope for the City of Pittsfield! Now if they can only keep a baseball team there.

T, sounds like you had a great time. I've lived in Berk. Cty. all of my life, and I have yet to climb Pine Cobbles. The views are sweet, so I've heard, but I understand the access to it crosses a new housing developement. The guide book I have pre-dates this. The trailhead you mentioned, is that a newer one, and where is it? Thanks.

Last edited:
I am treasuring the little (pretty much new) set of stainless steal fork,spoon, knife combo like it was my prized possession... My Precious!!!! :D

Actually, I have to see if I still have it, I think I stuck it in my OR bag but have to check.

Thanks TMax for a fun weekend. Couldn't of been any much warmer, could it? The hike out to the car on sunday was fairly miserable, the heat was getting to me and I had visions of kayaking in some nice cold lake. Wondering why I am hiking in the heat rather than on the water. I drove through a nice sized storm just south of Albany on the way home too.

Greylock is a neat peak, the monument doesn't seem to be a true obelisk and it looks like a giant Pawn piece on a chessboard. But the views were decent, it was so hazy it was hard to see anything other than No Adams, Willamstown, and the immediate surroundings.

Ran into a bunch of cyclists who biked up and other groups of backpackers. Including a group we donned as "the Red Shirts" who were all wearing...you guessed it... red shirts. They seemed to be going down towards the Sperry Rd campsites and we passed them just before it. Thought they were going to chase us up March Cataract falls but they didn't. The trail that was a mile to there certainly wasn't anywhere close to a mile though. That was strange. The falls were good, and I welcomed the refreshing bath and dip.

Walking down Hopper Road, we could look up and see the trail that goes up Mt Prospect through the haze.

I have some pictures that I haven't downloaded yet...stay tuned..

Jay

masshysteria said:
The trailhead you mentioned, is that a newer one, and where is it? Thanks.

To get to the trailhead for the Pine Cobble trail, from the north end of Cole Avenue (bridge is still under construction) drive east about 1/4 mile and turn left up a paved road. About 100 yards up the road, there is a small lot on the left for a few cars. The trail starts right across the road from the lot.

Thanks JFB, I was going to post directions from where I got there but since I'm not local, was hoping that Tmax would chime in...

It is about 2.1 miles from there to the AT and then about 1.3 miles north on the AT to get to the VT/MA border and also the start of the LT.

The Pine Cobble trail itself is very nice, a nice easy stroll up to the Mtn, nice view from the summit of Pine Cobble which is just off the main trail. That is where I found my shiny new stainless steel silverware.. My precious!!!!

Jay

One fork to rule them all.

masshysteria said:
I have yet to climb Pine Cobbles. The views are sweet, so I've heard, but I understand the access to it crosses a new housing developement.

Hey mass,
The trail was re-routed when the development was built and now skirts around it. You practically walk through one house's back yard, but otherwise you stay in the woods. It's absolutely worth the walk up to Pine Cobble Summit for the views.

Hippie Freak? ABSOLUTELY

mcorsar said:
Bob Dylan? Tofu dogs? You hippie freak! :D
Seriously, it's sounds like you had a great time, and I'm sorry I missed it. Jay invited me but I already had Saturday plans w/ a friend.
Matt

Hey Matt,

Hippie Freak is a good thing to be...right? Just don't let that secret out! ;) Already thinking about inviting a group up to stay this winter when we can do a serious ascent of Greylock! You'll be in the loop.