Bondcliff or Passaconoway...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
I am heading up to NH this weekend and bringing my wife for a somewhat rare overnight for her (she is not a huge fan of camping).

Right now, we have a spot reserved at Franconia Brook Campground as I figured the 3 mile walk in would be a nice easy trek in on Friday afternoon. On Saturday, I had planned to take us up to Bondcliff, but as the trip gets closer I am getting increasingly nervous that it might be a little much. In years past, she has climbed Moosilaukee, Washington, Cannon, Eisenhower, Pierce as days hikes and gone up to Galehead hut and summited Galehead and then the next day over to Bond and West Bond then Zealand and down to the Zealand Hut. This year she has done Tecumseh only.

My first question would be is how tough is the hike? I realize a good chunk of it would be relatively flat, but the map shows some lengthy inclines going up Bondcliff etc. How tough a dayhike would this be for someone who has the above hiking experience?

My other option would be to just cancel the reservation there and just grab a spot at a campground. If we did this, I would be looking at doing Passaconaway that day and maybe Whiteface (though that might prove a lil to much for her).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Dundare

If you camp for two nights you can greatly allevaite saome of your concerns. Hike in on Friday and get and early start on Saturday towards Bondliff. Even the Bondcliff Trail is nicely graded. There is one tricky spot just below the summit. It is basically some steps that are natural on a large boulder. I went down them like stairs - I do not think anyone would have much trouble with them, just take your time. Hiking back to your camp would be pretty easy and then you can hike out on Sunday. I would do it if the weather is good. I think doing it this way is easier than Washington, less steep than Cannon. Your Bondcliff day may compare with doing Ike and Pierce in a day or doing the Moose.
Have fun and be safe!

Bondcliff!!!

Take your time and enjoy a hike to Bondcliff, especially if you're camping at Franconia Brook. It may be longer than the route to Mt Passaconaway, but it's not really harder, IMHO. The flat miles warm me up, and the Bondcliff area is stunning.

Mt passaconaway is beautiful too, and I might opt for that if the weather is wet, but if it's a fair day, I'd go out to Bondcliff. :)

The Bondcliff Trail itself shouldn’t be a problem but how does she feel about water crossings? Just after the campsite, there is a lengthy one crossing the East Branch on large rocks. Some people just hop on across while others could find it a bit intimidating, especially in a wind. There is a bridge up river, which would add a mile and a half to the trip to Bondcliff.

It is my opinion that one is as easy or hard a day hike as the other. You are hair-splitting.
Do the one that you crave- and let your wife hike the hike without second quessing her.
Your anxiety will be plain to her and will not be helpful.

I say- focus on the experience of the joy of her company and the camping out part so that you will have a willing partner for future trips.

She is always willing to go day hiking - she has done 15 of the 48, Welch-Dickey, North and South Doublehead, Greeley Ponds, Monadnock, endless trips to the Blue Hills etc etc.

Its always the overnights that I want to make right when she goes - cause I know they arent her favorite and she generally only sleeps out on the ground cause she knows I enjoy camping...

The Climb up Bondcliff is one of the more gradual constant climbs, I only recall feeling winded a couple of times & we kept up a pretty good pace.

How to woo a women

Yeah, I hear you Dundare- from what I've heard from my married male friends and from what I've heard from talking with other women- we are not the sex that, generally, likes to rough it too much. I myself, of course, am an exception ;) :p - along with many many other women on this website, but....

I think alot of men make the mistake of not sufficently putting themselves in their partners hiking boots. You want your wife to enjoy the camping out part more- woo her! For instance- bring a surprise that is about her. Don't imagine that she will find carrying a heavier backpack in her (heretofor) day hiking boots to be enjoyable. Do more of the camp chores- like washing up after dinner, without asking. Don't grouse if she doesn't know how to set up the tent. Do it yourself-and show her. But watch out for patronization and condensation- we really hate this and will smell it a mile off. Highlite the postive aspects and agree that the mosquitoes are really bad, the ground hard and pit toilets do stink- with out qualification :D

I can't give you advice on Bondcliffe as I havn't crossed that one off the list yet. I have heard it's one of the most rewarding views of the Whites. But I personally get bored with the railroad grades of Wilderness trail.

As for Passaconnaway, I loved that hike. I looped Whiteface and Passaconnaway together. If you like granite ledges (and it's dry) I would recommend doing Whiteface first via blueberry ledges. There are some beautiful views of the lakes region from the top. However, I've never been good at judging whether othes would find the hike easy or challenging.

Bondcliff is definatly a great choice. Most of the hike is on the flat and the effort to get up there is well worth the views from the top :cool:

I was there saturday and I went around the tricky spot on bondcliff to the LEFT. It was an easy go round. if i had my sierra saw with me it would be more obvious :)