boot suggestions appreciated -wide forefoot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in case you're wondering :).......

I found it very difficult to find "wide" forefoot boots to try on. I started with your suggestions, used the annual boots summary in Backpacker and talked with anybody i thought might have ideas.

Relatively few companies manufacture a wide version of their of boots, most stores carry only a few lines and almost none carry any "wides", much less a decent selection of sizes. No way was i buying a boot without extensive "try-on" time. I went to all the places i could think of around the Bangor area (not a single boot to even try on??) and on a few road trips as far south as Kittery.

I tried on a number of boots (both fabric and leather) reputed to be "wide by design" (not wide sizes) in the toebox -some nice boots, but none even close to what i wanted/need. The only exception was the entire line of Keen, but even the more robust hikers ( Oregon PCT)weren't as rugged as i hoped for/needed.

I finally settled on a pair of LLBean Crestas (full leather, size 11 1/2 EE). Since i've now worn them on 3 modest hikes/whacks, my impressions....i DO like the boots and don't want to give the idea that i'm not happy with them

The run absolutely true to size, i AM and 11 1/2 EE. I found the breakin period to be 'nil-hiked the day after i bought them-no rubbing/blister issues at all.

So far they have done exactly what i wanted, give me the "width" room in the toe box that i've been missing-l can wiggle my toes at any time and injured little toes have been fine even on moderately steep downhills-no, i haven't really beaten myself on killer hikes as yet. I will need to play around with insoles/lacing to keep my heel/midfoot planted.

These boots are not my Scarpa SLs in terms of ruggedness/stability. They have thinner, less stiff leather (flex much more in all directions) and the Vibram lugs are not nearly as deep. They are decent on rocky trails and grip wet granite reasonably well, but you can feel the rocks. For rocky, uneven, "can't see your feet" bushwhacks they are "good enuff", but do torque around a bit and provide less stability than the Scarpas on slash piles and hidden rocks. I'm pretty sure fabric boots would never work for me under these conditions.

The Gortex liner seems to do it's job-was tested today. The insoles are flimsy/useless and need replaced by your choice of liners.

Happy with my choice, but may continue to search for a similar, slightly more rugged boot

going through same issues with running shore, but that's another story :p

-----------------
updated 7/24 for a bit more rigorous test today:

-hiked a steeper, rocky section of AT today (up and down)--the Crestas performed well in saving the little toes (width) department, but i do feel the rocks a tad more than i'd like -i can't decide whether the flex of the boot in the forefoot is a plus, a minus or a mixed blessing

-also did a "routine" steep bushwhack on rocky terrain, filled with blowdown and covered by vegetation (could see the feet much)-as i suspected, the Crestas are at their limit here----pretty much OK on the way up; coming down a bit of foot slippage (they are "wides"-maybe i can adjust) and too much flexing,torsional twist as you hit unseen objects

- i knew what they were and weren't when i bought them, but needed a boot to hike in now..a more perfect boot for me may come in the future

thanks to all of you
jim

Last edited:
Vasque boots come in wide. I have been satisfied with several different models over the years.

I'd highly recommend Vasque also. I just switched from La Sportiva to Vasque (Breeze GTX) this year, and I am much happier. Even found them in a 13 W (at EMS in Portsmouth). Such a difference, the old shoes took at least 30 trail miles to break in (including 2 days wearing them around the house before that) and I *still* got toe-bang right up until they died. They just never broke in or fit right, definitely for narrow feet. The wide size Vasque's didn't seem to need breaking in at all, I wore them to work once or twice (I have a desk job so that doesn't really count for much) and I haven't got a single blister, and I can walk through 3-4 inches of water and not feel it as well. Not knocking La Sportiva at all, it was a fine boot, it just didn't fit my foot.

I had never really considered LLBean as a choice for wide boots. They do seem to make a bit more casual gear. Not to confuse that with lesser-quality because it's usually good stuff, and it's hard to beat the return policy.

Last edited: