In need of wide boots, recomendations please?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul ron

Reaction score
I have wide feet and a real problem finding boots that fit comfortably. Since boots are made so cheap these days it is hard to find quality that will last on the trails. I am looking for a rugged backpacking boot that will withstand off trail n backpacking the Catskill's rocks.

I had ASOLO TP535s for 2 seasons and the stitching at the rear leather piece that keeps the boot together rotted or wore out and opened up at the seams. I contacted ASOLO and they sent me a new pair of TP520GX which had the same problem in just one year, the same seam is opening up again, plus the boots smell like an old funky fish tank after hiking 6 hours in em. Maybe the Goretex is not breathing and getting moldy inside. My feet are generlly not sweaty but in these boots they are wet all the time n stink I tried to contact ASOLO but they aren't paying me much mind so I am hunting for a new company.

So I am looking for a comparable heavy boot in wide (EE) with a nice stiff sole and full grain leather, rather not have GTX. Any recomendations?

Last edited:
Have custom full grain leather boots made. They really are worth every penny you'll spend on them. Two names in the custom world come to mind, Charles Van Gorkum and Limmer.

If custom boots are not an option for you try visiting Limmer and let them fit you in a pair of "off the shelf" model boots. Call first to be sure they have your size range in stock.

I had ASOLO TP535s for 2 seasons
I was going to come in here and post "anything but Asolo," but I guess you already know that. :p

I love mine... But Italians appear to have really narrow feet.
I do not. Mine have thankfully stretched a bit without busting any seams.

Have custom full grain leather boots made. They really are worth every penny you'll spend on them. Two names in the custom world come to mind, Charles Van Gorkum and Limmer.

If custom boots are not an option for you try visiting Limmer and let them fit you in a pair of "off the shelf" model boots. Call first to be sure they have your size range in stock.

I have a pair of the stock Limmer Standards and I do not think they are very wide at all in the toe box. I would consider my feet to be rather narrow (I am around a C width) and I had to have the toe box stretched a bit in width to get a perfect fit.

The good thing about Limmers is that they can be easily stretched at the Limmer store or by any good cobbler. I am not sure of how wide they can be adjusted to though, that would be a questions for the guys at the Limmer shop. If anything, I would be worth the postage to send them your feet measurements and tracings and see what your options are and what their opinions are as they really know how to fit boots.

Another good off-the-shelf boot you might take a look at is Lowa. I had a pair of the Tibet GTX boots once and they were awesome and lasted for a number of years of daily use in Alaska in wet tundra and boreal forest conditions. Lowa has a number of non-Goretex models with all leather construction if you do not like it and they do offer wide-width sizing options as well. They might be worth a look.

Limmers and Lowas are the only boots I have ever worn that I was able to take straight from the box and start using with no blisters at all.

As for funky smelling boots, get yourself a PEET boot dryer. Their basic electric model runs about $40 and started using one back in my Army days. It really helps to reduce (in my case completely eliminate) odors well as extend the life of your footwear, especially with heavy all-leather boots which can take a long time to naturally dry out. You can put a completely saturated pair of hiking boots on the dryer in the evening and the boots will be bone dry in the morning. Plus your boots will be nice and warm to put on in the morning.

Last edited:
I have 4e feet. The Italians always were way too narrow for me. I now have a pair of Danners, Montrails and New Balance hiking/trail running shoes that all can be found in wide sizes. I am considering a pair of Limmers, but don't know if they're needed. My Koflachs are also wide enough. You can also have boots stretched/widened.

New Balance makes some hiking boots, I think they are called terrastryders. Campmor had them on sale a while back. I picked up a pair of 13 EEEE last year and they are very good boots so far. They have vibram type soles with high rands, goretex lining and extreme ankle support (I normally hike with trail runners if at all possible so getting used to theri ankle support takes a bit of getting used to )

New balances tend to be 1/2 size small for most folks so you need to try them on with appropriate socks.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4018562

Last edited:
Here's another vote for Limmer. The Standard comes in a wide version, too, so you may not have to go with the Custom. Yes, call ahead and make sure they have the size you think you need, but definitely visit the shop to make sure you get the right fit.

This summer, I spent almost two hours there, trying on three different sizes and also learning about the boots themselves. It's a very cool shop and Pete and Ken are eager to answer any and all questions.

I can second the recommendation for Lowa as a brand as well. I have a pair of their Civettas (mountaineering double boot), and I had a great pair of shoes from them for years. They have a very good reputation for comfort and durability among hardcore mountain boot users.

Limmers 9W

I have a pair of "off the shelf" Limmers in 9W that I can't wear. The toe box is wide enough but they never could tighten up the heel enough to prevent chafing. I don't know if custom would have been any better. They're available if the size works for anyone. And yes- I did work on breaking them in extensively on relatively flat terrain.

I've been very happy with Montrail and Vasque. They both work for me with minimal to no break-in required.

Harry

I have a pair of "off the shelf" Limmers in 9W that I can't wear. The toe box is wide enough but they never could tighten up the heel enough to prevent chafing. I don't know if custom would have been any better. They're available if the size works for anyone. And yes- I did work on breaking them in extensively on relatively flat terrain.

I've been very happy with Montrail and Vasque. They both work for me with minimal to no break-in required.

Harry

Sent you a PM.

Another cheaper option worth investigating is Alico boots from sierra trading post. They stock them frequently (currently out of stock but they seem to stock them every month or two)and offer wide sizing as well. These are constructed very similar to the Limmers (all-leather welted construction) and have several different models of varying stoutness. They can be had for around $140 at the low end which is an absolute steal when you get them and see the product you are getting for the money. Plus STP has a very good return policy if they do not fit or work out for any reason. If you read the reviews on STP, people rave about them.

My brother, who hikes a lot in Colorado, came to me asking the same question as the OP (wanted all-leather, heavy duty, non-GTX) and I recommended Limmers, Lowa, and Alico. He ended up trying a pair of the Alico Tahoe's as money was a factor and the Alico's were literally 1/3 the price of the Limmers. I think he got them for $110 shipped when they were on sale combined with an online coupon. He has been extremely happy with them and the construction/quality seems to be on par with the Limmer off-the-shelf models - ie very very good.

I'm sure that the Alicos are well-made and are good boots, but I doubt that the leather is as good as that of the Limmer Custom & Standard. As far as I know, it is the thickest used by any boot company, which is a large part of what makes them so durable. Also, the Custom & Standard have far fewer seams and much less stitching, which again, increase their durability.

Another cheaper option worth investigating is Alico boots from sierra trading post. They stock them frequently (currently out of stock but they seem to stock them every month or two)and offer wide sizing as well. These are constructed very similar to the Limmers (all-leather welted construction) and have several different models of varying stoutness. They can be had for around $140 at the low end which is an absolute steal when you get them and see the product you are getting for the money. Plus STP has a very good return policy if they do not fit or work out for any reason. If you read the reviews on STP, people rave about them.

My brother, who hikes a lot in Colorado, came to me asking the same question as the OP (wanted all-leather, heavy duty, non-GTX) and I recommended Limmers, Lowa, and Alico. He ended up trying a pair of the Alico Tahoe's as money was a factor and the Alico's were literally 1/3 the price of the Limmers. I think he got them for $110 shipped when they were on sale combined with an online coupon. He has been extremely happy with them and the construction/quality seems to be on par with the Limmer off-the-shelf models - ie very very good.

I bought a pair of Alico Summits from STP about a year ago, and have been very happy with them. They're full-grain leather, and leather lined as well. They ran a couple of sizes too large, so it took a couple of tries to get the right fit, but on sale and with an additional 20% off coupon I think I paid $110. And you're right - they sell out frequently, but wait a week or two and they'll have your size.

Whether the full-grain leather that Alico uses in its Italian plant is thicker/thinner than the leather Miendl uses in its German plant for the boots they make for Limmer - I don't know. You'd have to ask a cobbler (or a cow). What I do know is that they're both superb boots of nearly identical construction.

I'll be in NH in the early Spring, so Limmer here I come. Meantime I'll be on the look out of the Alincos as my carry over till then.

Thanks everyone.

ASOLO can keep their junk! I'm sending em back so they can put em on the mantle, another sucker they've robbed.

I bought a pair of Alico Summits from STP about a year ago, and have been very happy with them. They're full-grain leather, and leather lined as well. They ran a couple of sizes too large, so it took a couple of tries to get the right fit, but on sale and with an additional 20% off coupon I think I paid $110. And you're right - they sell out frequently, but wait a week or two and they'll have your size.

Whether the full-grain leather that Alico uses in its Italian plant is thicker/thinner than the leather Miendl uses in its German plant for the boots they make for Limmer - I don't know. You'd have to ask a cobbler (or a cow). What I do know is that they're both superb boots of nearly identical construction.

I've had a pair of Limmer Standards side-by-side to a pair of Alico Tahoes and the Limmers were a bit more heavy duty and had heavier leather to a slight degree. The Tahoe model is the lightest of the three models STP carries. The next heaviest it the Summits followed by the New Guides.

The Limmers were finished better and had a better attention to the small details, but for the money Alico's are hard to beat for the price. You get an insane amount of old-school quality and construction for a dirt cheap price. This is probably why STP sells out every time they get a shipment in. I am not saying I would give up my Limmers as the German lasts tend to fit me better than all others, but you are getting a VERY good product with Alico's that would likely last nearly as long as a pair of Limmers. For the price, you could buy two pairs and probably be set for life if you took care of them.

Last edited:
I've not had the trouble w/ Asolos mentioned here. The soles on mine wear quickly, but the seams have been ok.

The Men's Asolo boots come in wide, though the smaller wide sizes are impossible to find in the states. Apparently Asolo sells the small wides only in Europe.

I find that GTX boots don't breathe well, from any manufacturer. I wear Asolo. A friend of mine wears Lowa. I've found that the socks make a BIG difference on foot swampiness. I like the Darn Tough socks. Smartwool PhD seem comparable. Anything else is noticeably more swampy.

I'll have to check out Limmer. I'm wearing out my last pair Asolo 520s and will need new wide (E) boots soon.

I was looking at the ALICO Summits online at Siera Trading Post n they look amzingly tough.

How do the sizes run, are they true to size, narrow in the toe, wide is an EE?

I was looking at the ALICO Summits online at Siera Trading Post n they look amzingly tough.

How do the sizes run, are they true to size, narrow in the toe, wide is an EE?
I found them about 1.5 to 2 sizes too large. So, if you take an 11, order either a 9 or 9.5. The width seems OK. They are not narrow in the toe.

And, be ready to exchange them. If you're in a yank, order two pairs, in different sizes, on the notion that you'll be sending one back.

You should also read the reviews on STP - that will give you a good flavor for size and quality.

Edit - Be aware that if you put yourself on their email list, they frequently (like once a week or so) send an email with anywhere from 20% to 30% off. Frequently there are coupons on the 'net with a similar amount (Google "Sierra Trading Post coupon" - I just did and found a 20% off good thru 10/31/10 - "relevant".

Last edited: