boot suggestions appreciated -wide forefoot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
help---after trashing my little toes about 5 weeks ago on a long hike (never anything nearly this bad) and just now starting to recover (little activity, barefoot Tevas, no shoes or socks and feet off the bed for weeks), i'm looking for wider footwear

I'm 65, about 5'11" and 170 pounds, relatively serious hiker/runner. I measure an "honest 11 1/2-12 EE and have very high arches and a wide, "square" forefoot (meaning my little toe sits further "forward" toward the line of my other toes rather than "back" toward my heel-ideal for the brutal banging of the outside tip/side of my little toe). My boot problems are NOT length and banging the front of other 4 toes, but width at my pinkie.

I have worn various models of Scarpa SL 45BX (high leather boot, not very wide) for the last 12-13? years with no real problems, but after finally doing my due diligence realize it is not and probably never was the boot style for my foot. I run in New Balance and Asics size 12 neutral or neutral plus shoes (no stability or pronation protection wanted). May try to go from NBalance EE to 4E at this point.

My hiking is 3ish season (May-late Oct) and i do lots of bushwhacking in ME in addition to trailed and often longish rocky hikes--not sure :confused:, but still hoping to be in Nepal in October

I am looking for a comparable replacement for my Scarpas and will also try (in addition) a lighter weight, lower, fabric boot/shoe. I'm even willing to try low cuts as long as they have a shank and pretty rigid/protective sole. I suspect any candidates would have to be abnormally wide in the toe box by design and/or be a "wide" width which limits boot lines i can consider.

time/logistics probably precludes an answer of Limmers

happy to hear from you in the thread, PM or by e-mail ..and thanks as i really need some help

jim

I've found Danners and Montrails in extra wide or 4e. I did the "too long a shoe" compensation for the width for years and do not recommend it at all. New Balance web site breaks down various shoe lasts and associated shoes. I know they have a hiking boot there for wide forefeet. Stopping into Limmer is on my list when I need new boots. I am trying to use properly sized trail runners more now, also.

Jim -

I too have a wide foot, although perhaps not as wide as yours. Chip mentioned New Balance, and I'd like to add LL Beans Crestas. I have a pair of Crestas, and they fit well, although not quite as rugged a boot as I'd like for my tastes. On the plus side, they require very little break-in.

My first pair of "real" hiking boots were Raichle, the Palue SA model, and am now on my 3rd pair. Alas, Raichle in general are very difficult to find.

If you do search here, you'll find a link to a bootmaker in New Zealand. They make a custom boot, and the price is well within the parameters of a high-end boot, although about 1/2 of Limmers. IIRC, they're turn-around is short, although with shipping might not meet your October timeline. Maybe a pair of Crestas in the meantime? The Crestas come in 2 flavors - leather, and a leather/fabric combo.

Jim -

I too have a wide foot, although perhaps not as wide as yours. Chip mentioned New Balance, and I'd like to add LL Beans Crestas. I have a pair of Crestas, and they fit well, although not quite as rugged a boot as I'd like for my tastes. On the plus side, they require very little break-in.

Agree, though mine have held up quite well.

I used New Balance 4 E's and have similiar issues. I did pick up a pair of NB 1000 boots on clearance for fall/spring and early winter use two years ago. They are high boots, mostly leather with goretex liner and some insulation. It took awhile to get used to them as I usually use trail runners but they appear quite durable. New Balance is infamous for short rotation of their product line but usually a new model will appear with either the New Balance or Dunham logo.

New Balances tend to run small so a fitting is most likely needed.

Wideshoes.com sometimes has hiking boots.

Agree, though mine have held up quite well.

Mine have held up well also Stash. By not 'as rugged' I meant they are more flexible, have a softer toebox, etc than what I prefer in a boot. If someone leans towards trail runners, then the Cresta would probably be a good choice. But, if you want a stiff boot, with a steel shank, leather-lined, little tortional movement, etc, then the Cresta wouldn't be my first choice. I wear mine on long hikes with relatively good footing and am not disappointed.

I have the high end Keen leather boot. For the first time in ages I am not experiencing any toe pain or metatarsal pain. I have only used them for about two months so can't say how they will hold up. I do wish the tread were beefier.

Make sure the toe seam in your socks is not a factor. (I have had my toes bloodied by the seam...)

I use a polyester liner sock which unfortunately has a fairly prominent toe seam. I wear the socks inside-out and rotate the forefoot part of the sock to move the seam end away from my little toe. (This moves the other end of the seam to the side of and maybe a bit under my big toe.)

Or perhaps I should look for liner socks with a better seam.

Also, why don't they put the seams on the outside rather than on the inside???

Doug

Last edited:
Lots of good suggestions

Recently on a whim I purchased Golite Footwear Men's Rock Lite Greige and was very pleasantly surprised how they fit out of the box. My feet are also wide and sometimes hard to fit boots.

duck feet

I have duck feet- large size, narrow heel, wide forefoot/toes- and found for my last two pair of boots that the higher end full-leather Merrells (used to be called Wilderness) were the only ones that fit me. Only thing is that was a few years ago and I think Merrell has gone through some changes. I recently got some Asolo full leathers and they fit pretty well but still could be roomier in the toes. (No Merrells available at the REI out here). I have found that US makers tend to have wider toeboxes than European makers in general.

If I still lived in NE I would go to Limmer, but I ran out of time before I moved.

Bear Paws happy in Keens

I have the high end Keen leather boot. For the first time in ages I am not experiencing any toe pain or metatarsal pain. I have only used them for about two months so can't say how they will hold up. I do wish the tread were beefier.

I recently purchased mid-range Keen synthetic boots, and have had a similar experience. Finally! HAPPY TOES! I inserted the orthodic from my old toe-crunching Asolos for extra instep support.

I would describe my feet as being like bear paws - relatively short, narrow in the heel, and wide in front. (I usually end up having to buy a size too big to get boots or shoes that are close to wide enough in the toe. The Keens I just bought are a half size larger than my foot length would suggest; but work fine, esp. with the orthodic.)

thanks to all so far (even if no shoutout below :))-

-i have been (finally, after 4 1/2 weeks of craziness) to good sports med podiatrist and a sports/running PT guy i love in last 2 days--they are optimistic (and so am i) --they marveled at not having had cases of pinkys beaten like i had mine, but said i was actually doing fine and recovery may be sooner than expected-said i had actually (understandably) reached point of being too careful and could "push" just a bit and also tolerate small ,temporary setbacks w/o getting crazed

-while i might like a Scarpa SL "comparable", for near future i will settle for any boot that feels good to hike in, can handle some rocks and will do the job for a year--sacrificing durability, and beefiness, etc------in near? future, my first attempts to hike will be very short and in one of my older Scarpa pairs with holes cut out of sides for pinkies--just like my first attempt to walk in running shoes (tomorrow and then run will be in older shoes with cutouts--i am beyond carrying heavy pack weight and do at most arduous day hikes

Kevin/Stash--will check Crestas, my grown daughters wear them-actually be in NZealand (i hope ) in Nov to baby sit granddaughter for geo prof daughter following her on 2 week field trip with her students

Chip/PB-a NBalance factory/store is near me in Skowhegan and i will check stuff out--buy tons there at tent sales

erugs-perhaps?? for now, even if not too durable

DP--excellent thought, but considered and not my issue--it's side/side tip banging of pinky by boot especially on fast "downs"--the Scarpa SL toe box is actually narrowish--silly me, i probably beat the toes to some extent on every hike and may be part of breakdown this time

thanks to all others and keep talking to me--have started visiting stores in Bangor/bar harbor/etc area and it seems as if a wide boot is going to be rather hard to find even to try on w/o special order

jim

I would describe my feet as being like bear paws - relatively short, narrow in the heel, and wide in front.

Nice description to which I can relate, but wouldn't have thought of! :p

PS A friend was once asked her size for a graduation ceremony robe. She said she was 5' 5" of Friar Tuck build. (That doesn't describe me - I'm taller.)

Jim,
please let us know what you decide to buy. I am in the same boat as you. The best hiking boots that I ever owned were the original LL Bean Mountain Treads, size wide. They were unfortunately "upgraded" in 2007. The "new and improved" Treads are much heavier and their wide sizes are too narrow for me. :(

Good luck!

Marty

Limmers. Not the Custom, but either the Standard, Midweight, or Lightweight, all of which come in a wide fit, I believe. (If you do a lot of bushwhacking, I'd think that you'd probably want on of the first two.) Give Karl a call (603-694-2668), he'll be able to answer questions and tell you how to find the best fit. Karl runs the mail order Limmer Boot Inc., Peter heads Peter Limmer & Sons. a.k.a. Limmer Custom Boot.

Ken, Peter's coworker says that the production Standard uses the best shank made (better than what is used in the Custom). One piece leather upper, a good shank, and a good sole is the way to go.

For the past year and a half I've been wearing Zamberlan Vios GTs. I've got well over 100 peaks on them and am not disappointed. Not alot of break in time needed. Took them over Welch Dickey for a break in hike and that was it. My feet never get wet and for a leather boot they are not that heavy. Plenty stiff enough for rough terrain, and not bad on gentler trails.

i'm currently searching for a new pair of boots myself as i found out that montrail no longer manufactures true hiking "boots" (have worn many pairs of torres over the years). have recently tried a pair of kayland contact revs. i like the boot, but they are almost to wide in the forefoot for me (and i like some good forefoot space). they seem like well made boots and i know they have received good reviews so they might be worth a shot.
good luck.

bryan

Light and wide

My feet are shaped like kayak paddles: narrow heel but soon widens and flares to toes almost straight across. Length by Brannock device is 9.5. For hiking I wear a size 10 wide Hi-tec model 4802. Leather, "waterproof," steel shank, very light weight, and very grippy carbon rubber sole that lasts about one year of hiking and trail work before the tread fails inspection, then I downgrade it for work and file the inside of the heels down so the boot is again level from side to side... These boots are sold at Super Shoes formerly Dexter's. List $75, but watch their flyers in newspapers for sales. That is when I buy 2 pair @ $55.

Creag nan drochaid

Here is the place in NZ someone was talking about:

http://www.bootznz.com/ The "Tramper" model is $170 USD and the "McKenzie" is $235". Last I inquired, semi-custom sizing was included in the price (ie they will make the boot to your exact foot length/width and not just the closest stock size). Shipping would probably run you $40 or so to the US.

Here is another place down here that makes boots as well:
http://www.lastrite.co.nz/

That said, I still roam the hills and mountains of Aotearoa in a pair of Limmer Standards.

Another option is to get sized up for a pair of Whites or Nicks:

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30298

I have worn both brands of firefighting boots when wildland firefighting in Alaska. Very well made and very comfortable since you can order just about any width and length.

I wear a pair of these that I used firefighting if the conditions are very wet as they dry out better than the Limmers. Wet feet are often just a part of tramping in NZ and I have found that a simple leather boot with no ankle padding works pretty well in very wet conditions over something that has padding it which just acts like a sponge. Gore-tex?? Don't even bother if you do any sort of serious tramping in NZ. Your feet are going to get wet regardless.

http://www.nicksboots.com/specialorder.asp?myItem=64T+8+inch+Alaska+Tundra&myImage=64TALASK200.jpg&myTxt=%3CBR%3ENicks+Alaska+Tundra+is+%3Ci%3Ebuilt+to+order%3C%2Fi%3E+and+is+shown+in+Chocolate+Full+Rough+Out+with+an+8+inch+top+and+built+on+Toe+No+3.++Stock+sizes+only.%0D%0A%0D%0ASimilar+in+construction+to+our+Forester%2C+the+Alaska+Tundra+was+developed+for+smoke+jumpers+working+in+rugged+Alaska.++Featuring+a+special+Vibram+lug+flat+sole+construction+for+better+flotation+on+soft+ground.++The+Alaska+Tundra+is+ideal+for+marshier+conditions.++Rough+out+leather+provides+extra+protection+from+sharp+rocks+and+branches.++Completely+rebuildable+for+years+of+extended+service.

Both White's and Nicks will also custom make boots to your foot measurements if a stock size/width will not fit you or you have unusual shaped feet. Either way you have to send in foot measurements and tracings the first time you order to get your true sizing.

You can also take about any model and customize it exactly like you want. For example you could take a pair of the Nicks Tundra's I mentioned and change the sole to honey vibram and reduce the height to 5-6" to make a nice pair of hikers that will probably last well over a decade or more as you can resole them several times.

Last edited: