Slogging to Carrigain, Signal Ridge Trail, 7/7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
After reading and re-reading Rocket's trail conditions report for Carrigain over the weekend we decided to stick to our plan..have a back up plan..(Tremont) and check out the water crossings on the Signal Ridge trail to Carrigain.

The water was flowing steady under the bridge by the parking lot so we avoided the first crossing and whacked through alternating soaking hobblebush traps and a defined herd path. Checking out the first crossing from that vantage point we were satisfied with decision and headed up the trail. The signal Ridge Trail starts off easily enough through open hardwoods and an easy pitch..in some places it comes quite close to the brook which courses though a couple of small gorges with numerous drops..Very beautiful and noisy today..There were a few short muddy stretches and one long section of mud, slippery slanted puncheon bars, and mud..Over all though the trail in pretty good shape to the corner. The water crossings were wet and most rocks were covered..doable though..poles helped..not wanting a slip i waded across the wide one and goretex boots and gaters kept the feet pretty dry.

The next section of the trail a long fairly straight ascent over mostly slabby rock..nothing difficult, a ledgey scramble here and there..but no real good footing for awhile..really had to watch your step today. On good days an axceptional view of the face of Mt Lowell rewards this climb but today we were i n the clouds happy to see some greeenery.

Finally the footing smooths abit and several switchbacks bring you on to the "Ridge" of Signal Ridge.. I had some friends a couple of years ago who made this climb on a similar day to this..when they reached the little knob on the ridge they assumed they were at the summit and turned back..it wasn't until a few days later when i asked about views from the tower when they replied.."Tower... we didn't see any stinking tower..we shook our heads
knowing the views that we were missing and trudged along in the now blowing swirling fog..ducking down in to the brief col before the main peak the air warmed a bit and the wind died.. Passing the old cabin and the well we knew the end of the climb was near and after a short steady climb up a fine section of steps we reached the base of the tower.. here the wind whipped the fog by at a pretty good clip..we ducked into the trees for a brief lunch and headed back over hoping to get off the ridge by the anticpated 2:00 rain showers and potential thunderstorms.. Sure enough, we were about half way
down when the rains came..just a steady moderate drizzle..no thunder in site..
I think it was Forest Gump who said "wet is wet" and by the time we reached the main crossing before the desolation trail Jct we were resigned to wetness and headed right across the brook..hey..it helped to wash some of the mud off... be fore the final water crossing a few of us retraced steps on the bushwack and a few successfully took the crossing..We were a pretty soggy lot by the time we regrouped down at the parking lot.

Good day out with OTHH

a few misty pics
www.overthehillhikers.blogspot.com

Last edited:
I had some friends a couple of years ago who made this climb on a similar day to this..when they reached the little knob on the ridge they assumed they were at the summit and turned back

Yeah, that's always fun getting to the top of the ridge near the site of the well and thinking -- this feels like a summit -- and then seeing the real summit a half mile away. Nice views from that place, anyway.

(Bummer about the weather and the slog in the fog/drizzle. I thought about you folks while I was slaving over a computer doing work.)

Congrats on getting up Carrigain, especially in the wet and foggy conditions. Sometimes the not-so-ideal weather makes for better memories. At least, that's what I tell myself, lol.

Looking forward to your pictures.

Heck, wasn't Carrigan round 5??
Sorry I missed out on your hike, I had to work...bleck..would have been great to spend the day with you folks again, and besides, Terra needs the peak. :)

Nice job, Silverfox...I thought I passed you on my way to Conway yesterday afternoon and indeed, I did!

Sure enough, we were about half way
down when the rains came..just a steady moderate drizzle..no thunder in site. . . I think it was Forest Gump who said "wet is wet". . .
An "A+" Trip Report, Mark!
Liked your Forest Gump quote about “wet is wet”. Forest Gump also said the following which sort of describes our recent weather pattern:

“One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath.”

Slogging in the Misty Backwater

Great report fox. I am only a little sorry I was not along for the soggy fun. Really like the misty backwater pic.