Boott Spur, Alpine Garden, Huntington Ravine, June 12th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Boott Spur, Alpine Garden, Huntington Ravine, June 14th

Another nice day above tree-line. Made sure the sunblock was in the pack this time! Boott Spur Trail is in great shape, no blowdowns.

Swallowtail and bluebead lillies...

june1208-7.jpg

Be careful of the baby toads on the trails!

june1208-6.jpg

view of Tuckerman Ravine from Harvard Rock...

june1208-3.jpg

alpine bilberry at Harvard Rock

june1208060.jpg

alpine bilberry...

june1208-5.jpg

results of a winter avalanche, which I think was reported by Dave Metsky in a previous TR...

june1208-4.jpg

I hiked down the Boott Spur Link Trail to treeline and back up for the views of Tuckerman Ravine. The trail has the best views of the ravine, IMO.

june1208092.jpg

As I hiked around the top of the ravine and over to Lion Head I was surprised that the diapensia and rosebay had already gone by. I heard there was a frost a few days ago, and I could see dead blossoms on the ground.

a view down into the ravine from Lion Head...

june1208-1.jpg

Over in the Alpine Garden, there are plenty of mountain avens...

june1208.jpg

and plenty of alpine azaleas...

june1208-2.jpg

Then I hiked down Huntington Ravine, which is always exciting. I admit to enjoying a little boot skiing on a large patch of snow toward the bottom. There is a lot of damage to trees there as well from another avalanche.

Hope noone was planning to hike the Alpine Garden next weekend for the diapensia and rosebay, but the bluebells and goldenrod are beautiful in July!

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Wonderful!

We hiked Glen Boulder yesterday with the idea of going to Lakes an back, then down Lion Head after a trip to the Garden. Well, great aspirations were cut short when it was 85 degrees at the summit of Boott Spur. We had to get Emma down fast, she was really laboring in the heat. We climbed down Boott Spur and Boott Spur Link. Jude hates the moonrocks, I love them, oh well. Was a little disappointed to see most of the flowers gone, but managed a few shots.

KDT

forestgnome said:
Hope noone was planning to hike the Alpine Garden next weekend for the diapensia and rosebay, but the bluebells and goldenrod are beautiful in July!

happy trails :)
Thanks for the trip report Forestgnome! I was going to bring the family back up there next weekend if the weather cooperates, but considering the lack of blooms, I may wait for the opening in July. In your experience, or anyone else's for that matter, when is the best time for the Bluebells and Goldenrod?

Smitty

Nice shots. Have to do the Alpine Garden one day.. and Huntingtons. :D