BSP "group areas"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwind

Reaction score
Returning to BSP this summer with an larger groups then in years past. With the new regulations I'm a little confused in a few areas. I've never been with more then 13 people but 13 or more people is considered a group and must stay in a group area.

I didn't even know such places existed. Anyone know where these group sites are located?

On the road to Roaring Brook, Avalanche Field, Near Doubletop MT. Foster Field, a little further north Nesowadnehunk Field, way up north Trout Brook field. As the names indicate they are all essentially open field campng, I am not sure of the limits,#'s- being in Baxter all are near extraordinary hikes, long or short-enjoy. Good luck and have fun!

MikePS said:
On the road to Roaring Brook, Avalanche Field, Near Doubletop MT. Foster Field, a little further north Nesowadnehunk Field, way up north Trout Brook field. As the names indicate they are all essentially open field campng, I am not sure of the limits,#'s- being in Baxter all are near extraordinary hikes, long or short-enjoy. Good luck and have fun!

Thank - ya ;)

One thing that Post'r Boy taught me (ok, another thing). When using the group area, particularly Avalanche Field, set your tent up as far away from the road as possible. At 6:30 when everyone who has been waiting at the gate finally make it by Avalanche Field, it becomes a real dustbowl. Avalanche Field also has 2 leanto's and you must reserve a minimum of 6 spots.

I stayed at Foster Field near OJI last July. The only amenities we got were a pair of johns, two picnic tables, and a fire ring, but at $5 a head per night it's a deal. I think you can have up to 13 people at a given site. Foster Field has three sites. I've explored the BSP web site and been unable to find much info about them at all. It's like they don't really want people to know about them.

I've only done the group thing at Avalanche Field...the whole place holds 50, each site holds 12 or 13. My favorite site there is #1 - it's back from the road some, good parking, next to the water. A nice hike to Katahdin Lake begins over by site #4.

Nesowadnehunk Field

Nesowadnehunk Field is my personal fave.

It is in a beautiful setting, with spectacular views, a stream close by, acres of open grass, and covered picnic tables just in case of rain.

I've also seen a very large moose stroll through the campsite at dusk a few times.

If you are doing to Brothers-Coe-Fort loop, or Doubletop, it makes a really nice base of operations.

And I think it is pronounced "saua-de-honk!"

cb

ChrisB said:
Nesowadnehunk Field is my personal fave.

It is in a beautiful setting, with spectacular views, a stream close by, acres of open grass, and covered picnic tables just in case of rain.

I've also seen a very large moose stroll through the campsite at dusk a few times.

If you are doing to Brothers-Coe-Fort loop, or Doubletop, it makes a really nice base of operations.

And I think it is pronounced "saua-de-honk!"

cb

Honestly this sounds great to me but I'll be with a bunch of folks who have never been to BSP so as you might imagine they want to hike Katahdin. So up I go again...

If my memory serves me correct "Avalanche Field" is the closest. On a side note, I don't remember BSP reserving an average of 30% of campsite capcity to ME residents -- Not that I'm complaining :D