Bug prediction for Lake Placid area?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Wallace

Reaction score
Greetings. My girlfriend and I are hoping to spend 4 days climbing/kayaking in the Lake Placid area this coming weekend. In 2000 I was in the Lake Placid region around this time and bugs were not an issue. I'm beginning to worry that may not be the case this time around. Can anyone clarify/provide info about the bug situation in that area? Thanks.

You really can't predict how the bugs (blackflies) will be on any particular day and place. Two years ago, I spent 4 days in the Uphill Brook area (Colden/Mt. Marcy) and didn't see a single bug. Others hiked in the Sewards (Western High Peaks) and were eaten up. So just go prepared to see some bugs. I kayaked in Old Forge last weekend; there were annoying bugs at the parking lot, but not one in all the time we were paddling. I say go, and have fun. -ALG

Deer Flies? Yup!

I murdered my first deer fly of the season yesterday in Keene. I was a bit surprised, not to mention dismayed, that the nasty buggers have already made their appearance.

I was pond-hopping in the St Regis Area on Saturday and Sunday. The flies are out and I even spotted my first two mosquitoes of the season -- don't worry I took care of both those skeeters.:D

We had intermitten rain on Saturday which meant we had intermitten flies. It's three days later and my legs and wrists are still pox-marked and itchy. I'm staying clear of the Adirondacks for another month. If you go, pray for rain otherwise they'll eat you alive...

Before and up to Memorial day the black flies for the most part do not penetrate up above 2500' in the High Peaks. Places like Flowed Lands and Lake Colden are usually devoid of bugs. 1-2 weeks later it is a different story.