Bugless in Baxter 7/24 and 25

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
Since there have been many reports on Baxter lately I'll make this short.
Day 1 Coe - Brothers Loop
Camped at Nesowadnehunk, short drive to the Marston trailhead. On the trail by 7:45. Rained overnight and overcast in the AM so I went up the Coe Slide. Coe was mostly socked in with occasional glimpses down into the Klondike.Sun was in and out on South Brother. Better views of Barren and the Klondike. On to North Brother where the sky was clear and the top of Katahdin visible for the first time. Looked long and hard over at Fort but knew I didn't have enough left in the tank for it so like Amicus I will be back. Back to car by 3:30 at the start of a T-Storm.
Day 2 Doubletop
Started out at 6:50. Trail dry and the sky was a high overcast. This VFTT was incredible. Awesome grandstand view of Katahdin and the Brothers etc. Sat up there awhile just soaking it in. Started raining on the way down but nothing major. Sun was out by the time I reached the car. The first of many excursions to Baxter.

Gamehiker said:
Looked long and hard over at Fort but knew I didn't have enough left in the tank for it so like Amicus I will be back.... The first of many excursions to Baxter.

My first was last Oct., also camping at N'hunk (with a large group of friends and acquaintances who are long-time Baxterites). Discovering BSP belatedly, I'm playing catch-up - I too hope to do many more. Already have Round 3 in the works, for this Oct.

Let me know if you schedule a return to explore Fort. I'd welcome the company of someone who actually enjoys 'whacking. I got some good info, incidentally, from buckyball1, the generous fellow whose poles we found a year after a blowdown grabbed them, about the rest of the Fort herdpath (no harder than what we'd done, which wasn't very) and other BSP hikes he likes - he's lucky enough to live in the vicinity.

Glad to hear the bugs hadn't returned - they couldn't be over, surely? Sounds like you too had peaks to yourself. Of the six we did, we had company only on Baxter.