Calamity Mountain??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not climbed calamity, but I have climbed cliff directly from flowed lands, which is really near by. Calamity is probably covered with blowdown, which is great if you like that sorta thing.

-percious

yeah, it's a nice thick climb through lots of blowdown.
but we went down towards Flowed Lands, and it was very open all the way. with some great views between Avalanche and Mt. Colden. very nice

Calamity slides?

I am curious if anyone has any info on the slides located off the Hanging Spear Falls trail side.

Thanks! :)

Well, actually ....

it was not the first time I had seen the topo, Alan. The first time I thought about climbing Calamity, I went to recon the slides. But it was a rainy, cold (potentially icy) day and I just decided to look at the slides. I saw a potential weakness, but never went back to investigate.

I ended up just bagging the peak from the other side. And was thrilled to climb a short peice of slide on that side also!

A mountain worthy of a revist! (imho)

So anyone actually climb those slides or waterfalls?! :D

My first thought was to climb it via the slides, but I chose a shorter days hike and snagged it from the other side. It was very nasty on the way up, but if you start off closer to the monument you can avoid most of the blowdown. But then again we could have just got lucky on the descent.

Yes I have climbed Calamity. Real thick, steep if I recall. Taking 3 hours to do 6/10 of a mile. Won't be going back there, EVER !!