Camel's Hump - Mansfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Planning on the 2 for Labor Day weekend as part of our 4x4 program.

Anyone have info on latest trail snowpack / bugs / HOTELS / etc??

Last edited:
Labor day or Memorial day? Labor day you should have no snow issues. memorial day be advised the trails up there are closed until Memorial day (I am not sure if they mean up to and including, or through the whole weekend.) Either way, from Ascutney on saturday I could still see a tiny bit of snow up around there.

Brian

Long Trail closed

I am convinced that the Green Mountain Club does not know when they want their beloved trail to be open. On Wednesday, May 23, 2007, I took this photo of the Journey's End trailhead which has the trail closed until the end of the month. Link: http://image50.webshots.com/550/4/9/47/2692409470063208931HnlNuz_fs.jpg Then left click on photo to zoom in on date on sign.

and then further along at Hazen Notch this photo was taken on Friday, May 25. Memorial Day last year took place on Monday. May 28. So I am convinced that anytime towards the end of May is satisfactory as there is no date carved in stone. Link: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2364684090063208931PAjxLz

and based on what the Green Mountain Club stated, you would have thought the trail opened on Saturday, May 26, 2007. So the way I see it there is no formal opening day, but I would not go much before the Memorial Day weekend.

Last edited:
Camels Hump

As noted the trails are "closed" until Memorial Day, but, in terms of real-world conditions, the Camel's Hump trails (as of yesterday) are barebootable, with 2-3 feet of snow in the shady spots but nothing you can't handle with decent footwear. Mansfield likely similar, especially on the more open trails such as Sunset Ridge. On Memorial Day weekend at either mountain you might take stabilicers or microspikes, but probably won't use them. Enjoy!
John

I believe the closure is not soo much b/c the trails are snowy/treacherous, but more so b/c the muddy conditions will make the trails more susceptible to erosion with medium to heavy foot traffic. With all the snow in the mountains this spring, the conditions should be pretty muddy for the next several weeks as there is still some snow up there.

Thanks. Sat will be fine.

And it is Memorial Day. I've had a Class 5 tooth ache for a week, and the burbon swirls must have affected my typing. Visited the dentist yesterday, and despite a drill & fill - no difference. Hope this does not imply root canal!!

Any suggestions on a place to stay???? Sugartree at Sugarbush was nice, but somewhat far from the current target.

fyi - the 4X4 is a reference to the deal with my wife: 4 thousand footers by day, and a 4 Star hotel by nite. Perhaps I should not admit to this as the rest of you may subsequently be under pressure.

rup said:
fyi - the 4X4 is a reference to the deal with my wife: 4 thousand footers by day, and a 4 Star hotel by nite. Perhaps I should not admit to this as the rest of you may subsequently be under pressure.
We're also subscribers to the 4x4 program, it's the only way I can get the whole family on the trail with me. We don't need 4 star per se, but it has to be a nice place with a pool and activities nearby suitable for the kids, ages 6 and 2. It's a good compromise.

Thanks. We don't hit the 4**** either, but it sounds good. There can't be too many of those in VT.

If the trail(s) open on next Sat, will any snow be packed?? Probably not. We will not enjoy post holing.

4*

Check out Top Notch Resort in Stowe. That place is nice. the pool area has a hot tub with a waterfall.

In the Mad River area I stayed at Weathertop Mountain Inn in March. They don't have pool. The do have a hot tub. The food is outstanding Michael and Linda keep a clean Inn.

4 x 5!

For a 4000 ft X 5 star experience you should check out the Trapp family Lodge. Edson Hill Manor and the more deluxe options at the Golden Eagle are also very nice. The owners of the Golden eagle are very active hikers and can help with trail selection. Good Luck

Mansfield and Camels Hump

As of yesterday, the Mansfield Sunset Ridge and Laura Cowles trails were just about 100% snow free and quite dry. I think there's quite a bit of snow and slop on some of the western trails including the LT and Hell Brook from 108, so the aforementioned are probably better choices for next weekend. I was doing trail maintenance, but the GMC summit caretaker yesterday seemed OK with hikers being there. Have a good trip!
John

Thanks for above.

Snoshoo - You mentioned that the trails are virtually clear of snow, but the Stowe website indicates 6' at the summit. Is the ridge trail, then, still loaded with snow?

I have a trail map for the Sugarbush - Camel Hump's area that I found at Campmor/EMS. Any suggestions for Mt Mansfield map? web or paper? Topozone is now a pay site. The Underhill St Park site has a rough one that is probably good enuff.

Thinking about the doing the MtMan loop using the Hasselton Tr and the LT to save driving to the west side.

Also is there a preference for doing the circuit over CH and MtMan to the N, or to the S??

Mansfield clarification

I believe the stake is in a snow-catching hollow between the nose and forehead, not quite a "snow cave", but you get the idea. Hardly any snow on the exposed ridge from the top of toll road to summit. Probably still some snow on Hazelton, suggest calling Green Mt Club; the woman who maintains it works there. Camels Hump should be fine from any direction except north.
John