Camp sites near Flat Mtn Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzy

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are planning are "annual" (actually it's just the 2nd year in a row) weekend after Labor Day overnight excursion in the Whites. I'm trying to set up the second day of the hike with a trip up to Mt Whiteface. I plan on setting up camp in the vicinity of Flat Mtn Pond in the AM of Day 2 and "slackpacking" to Whiteface & back on the McCrillis Tr. I know there is a shleter there at the south end of the pond, but does anyone know of alternative campsites near the pond, especially on the northern end (closer to Whiteface). I have never been to Flat Mtn Pond before and would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

Thanks,
Lizzy

I camped up in the area last July at a very nice little campsite that might suit your purposes. After crossing the river and passing the McCrillis trail, continue on up the trail another half hour or so. Keep a lookout to your left - toward the river - as you go up the trail and you should have no trouble spotting the site. It's an obvious cleared site, with a fire ring. If you come to a 2nd stream crossing, you've gone too far. Turn around and go about 5 minutes back down the trail. It was another 30 minutes walk to get to the Pond from the site, in case that helps locate it for you.

you're describing the approach from Wonalancet(east), right ? I'll be coming up Flat Mtn Pond Trail from the south (Jose's Bridge), so the campiste you describe would be between Flat Mtn Pond and the jct w/ McCrillis Tr, right ?

There's also a rough spot about midway along the northern shore of the pond; you'd probably see it from the trail on the way from Wonalancet. (Not sure what it looks like coming from the other end.) I stopped there for lunch a year ago. There's an OK view of the pond, and it's maybe far enough off the trail that you wouldn't be too disturbed by folks passing through. I haven't had a chance to check the backcountry camping regs re: this spot -- you might want to do that first just to be safe.

sardog1 said:
I haven't had a chance to check the backcountry camping regs re: this spot -- you might want to do that first just to be safe.

If we're thinking of the same spot, it's Wilderness. The marker is just after the left turn along the pond leaving the junction with the shelter. I saw that spot when we were up there a few years ago scouting for a legal campsite after finding shelter-hogs had taken up residence.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the original question. And won't publicly admit to where my tent ended up on that trip. ;)

north end sites

there is no problem with finding a site at the far end of the pond. when you cross the inlet brook at the end there is a pretty good site (2) about 50 yds down on your right. If they are taken, go back to the brook crossing and stay straight, do not go over the brook. there is a few more up by the old beaver ponds.