Camper may have survived BEER mauling.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Someone mentioned early on that they thought this story didn't smell right, and I've been surprised by the lack of local coverage. There may be a little LESS going on here than first reported;

Feeney said she isn't certain how much time elapsed before the bear left, but Ternent doubts the incident lasted for hours as Feeney and Scollon described.

''They couldn't run for four hours, and you certainly couldn't lay there on the ground face down for 31/2 hours,'' Ternent said. ''There must have been a big chunk of time when the bear was gone but they hadn't gotten help yet.''

Feeney was treated for injuries at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Salisbury Township and released Sunday. Merluzzi said doctors told him the injury on Feeney's head was an abrasion, not a bite, and that the puncture wound on her leg could have been caused by a stick rather than the bear's teeth.

''I'm not saying it didn't [bite her],'' he said. ''I'm going by what the doctor told me.''

Merluzzi's examination of the scene revealed a large quantity of beer at the campsite and bear tracks that indicate the animal walked, not ran, from the area.

''I'm sure they believe what they said,'' Merluzzi said. ''However, exaggeration does get into this, and having the beejeebers scared out of them didn't help. You had adrenaline in the mix here. You had beer in the mix here. A minute probably seemed like two hours to them.''

If there was enough beer, perhaps the bear was attacked first... They don't call it liquid courage for nothing.

Hey, maybe we should bring BEER spray?

When I read the story, I didn't believe it until I read about the injuries, thinking it was evidence. Maybe not.

The idea of the two campers on one side of a large tree, and the bear on the other side taking swipes at them sounds like TV to me.

I hope rangers aren't seeking to kill a bear that has been falsly accused.

Perhaps this is why the rangers are labeling this an "encounter", not an attack. Maybe she was injured from a fall while running through the woods. If the story is true, it is impossible to not label it an attack.

I agree.
They may have seen a bear, ran, fell, got lost, fell again,found the camp, found the beer, repeat...

If Beer Spray is designed to keep beer away, I'll have NONE of it !

Chip said:
Someone mentioned early on that they thought this story didn't smell right, and I've been surprised by the lack of local coverage. There may be a little LESS going on here than first reported;

Feeney said she isn't certain how much time elapsed before the bear left, but Ternent doubts the incident lasted for hours as Feeney and Scollon described.

''They couldn't run for four hours, and you certainly couldn't lay there on the ground face down for 31/2 hours,'' Ternent said. ''There must have been a big chunk of time when the bear was gone but they hadn't gotten help yet.'' [. . .]

Do you have a source you can provide for the story you posted in red type, to start this thread?

G.

Thanks for the link. I think the kids are full of s*#t!

Also, they are angry for being called inexperienced, citing their survival as proof that they are experienced. Nevermind the food out in the open, illegal campsite, etc.!

Typically spoiled little brats!

Last edited:
I wouldn't call them stupid horney college kids.

Actually, they were fishing. Fishermen tend to exagerate, it's in their nature. In this case, it was a wandering bear that got away.

i thought this all sounded like a bunch of crap. when i read that they hid behind a tree while the bear was trying to get at them from the other side, all i could picture was an episode of the three stooges. and as far as beer maulings.... i think i've mauled more beers than beers have mauled me!i quess it's still safe to go into the woods!