Camping and Swimming Around Waterville Valley or Franconia Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
I am planning to take my 12-year old son up to the Whites this weekend. We want to camp out overnight and do something easy on Saturday. I was thinking of perhaps finding a nice short hike to a swimming hole with a campground or campsite nearby for some car camping. Does anyone have any good suggestions for something in the Waterville Valley area or Franconia Notch? I was thinking about 13 Falls, but that is a bit of a hike in just for a quick swim. Something similar to Diana's Baths (Moat Mt. region) would be nice. Thanks!

I don't know about water levels but there are some nice swimming spots along the hike that runs up from the Basin to Kinsman Cascades, you have to hike up towards the Kinsman Cascades about a 1/4 mile and you should be able to spot a few. Have fun !!!

sli74

A great spot to camp is along tripoli road. The ranger told me there was over 400 campsites along the raod and on the weekends a two day pass costs $16 bucks. From tripoli road it is a fairly short drive to any day hike int he white mountains. I'm pretty sure no one collects money during the week.

Reactions: yam
ALSO

some really nice water falls and swimming holes are located off of the Valley Way Trail on the Falls Way. Park at appalachia parking area.

Hike to swimming holes...

there are some pretty decent swimming holes scattered across the white mountains, but I can't think of too many that involve "short nice hikes". The best I can think of is Franconia Falls, a 6.4 mile easy round trip hike. It's best to check with the rangers at the Lincoln Woods trailhead to make sure that the water levels aren't still too high. Also, you'll need to secure a day permit from them (free).

Other swimming holes that don't really require hiking, but are tons of fun:
Lower Ammonoosuc Falls - HUGE pool, warms up fairly nicely
Swiftwater Falls in Bath - my favorite swimming hole in the whites so far; waterfall and covered bridge in vicinity; big warm pool, can be very crowded though
Emerald Pool off NH 16 just south of the Mt. Washington Auto Road

Also, some people swim in Lonesome Lake in Franconia Notch, but it didn't seem like the most attractive place to swim I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of people enjoying themselves there, and the hike up and around the lake is great if you haven't been.

Mark said:
I was thinking of perhaps finding a nice short hike to a swimming hole with a campground or campsite nearby for some car camping. Does anyone have any good suggestions for something in the Waterville Valley area...

A very easy hike to a swimming hole with a small cascade is Smarts Brook, right off Rt. 49 just past the turn for Sandwich Notch Rd. It's an easy mile to a nice small pool (about 5' deep, maybe 20' wide). The water is always chilly! If you investigate further up the brook, there is a small slide pool, and little cascade with another smaller swimming hole. You could do the loop (Smarts Brook to YellowJacket to Pine Flat, directions at the trailhead) for a short dayhike with lots of spots to stop at. None are very deep -- but it's refreshing!

For car camping nearby, try the Campton Campground (WMNF).

If you haven't left yet PM me this evening for further endless details if you're interested. I used to live there and maintain the Smarts Brook loop.

P.S. Askus' recommendation is a great hike, but East Pond has MAJOR leeches. HUGE! Then again, so does just about every pond in the area. Greeley Ponds are easy and beautiful, too, but also have leeches. Quick dips recommended unless you don't have a problem with bloodsuckers!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I bruised my lower back and ended up not going, but saved all of the destinations for a future trip. Smarts Brook looks like a nice spot. I found this link to some swimming holes in the Whites.