Camping near Stratton - This Weekend!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chabela

Reaction score
Hello!

We are doing a 3-day hike this weekend in northern Maine on the AT (Crocker, sugarloaf, etc), and were planning to tent tonight somewhere near Stratton, actually at Cathedral Pines Campground. But it is full. Didn't think about that possibility :mad:

Somebody knows a place around there where we could but our little tent ? Basic camping.. In the worst case, we could go on the Bigelow side, at the Stratton Brook tentsite... :(

Thanks !

While probably not legal, when we hiked Sugarloaf, starting where the AT crosses Caribou Pond Rd, we saw asome folks camped out down by the river. From the road head East on the AT - in mayb .2 miles you come to the river - folks were along there.

In addition to the spot Bob & Geri mentioned on the CVR, I've also seen people use old logging yards for camping along that same road. Also have seen some impromptu camping along the road leading to the trailhead for the Bigelows. I also don't know whether these are legal/permissible spots either.

Other spots you might check are along the Timm Pond Road. This is north of Stratton, heading towards Eustis. A few miles up there's a Texaco station, and just beyond that on the left is Timm Pond Road, IIRC. I've slept in the "Hotel Toyota" on a couple of occasions in an old gravel pit about 10 miles in on the right hand side of the road.

MFS authorized campsite

Approx 5 miles north of Eustis is a Maine Forest Service campsite It's just off Rt 27 at Alder Stream.
You can pick up a fire permit at the Maine Forest Service in Eustis. It's self serve if no one is around. They have a large map that shows the location of all the authorized campsites in the area.

Last edited: