Canada-US border wait time

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passport renewal

If your last passport was issued less than 15 years ago, you may renew it for $55 (and you were over 16 when it was issued, and your name hasn't changed, except by marriage or court order, and you have your old passport). So you have 5 years after a passport expires to renew it. If you have never had one or your last one is over 15 years old or you don't meet the other conditions, you have to go through a new application which costs $97. (Edit: The federal fee is $55, new or renewal, I think. The extra goes to the county or town clerk where you file in person, at least here in NY.) (Edit #2: I just Googled DS-82, the form for renewing by mail, and the fee is up to $67.)

You will also have to pay for photos (and birth certificate with raised seal for a new appplication). You might get lucky taking your own picture, but the State Department is very fussy about the size and other requirements. I've been told it's not worth the hassle. Go someplace where they have experience.

You can renew an expired passport by mail. I don't have the links but if you go to the US State Department and find Form DS-82, you can print it out to file by mail.

teejay

Last edited: