Cannon Mt. via KRT 2/22

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Last night before turning off the computer I saw a post on NETC by Biscuiitman stating that he had broken out the trail from the trailhead to the top and I thought great as that was where I was headed. Unfortunately, I found that the trail was covered by five inches of fresh powder either from new snow or drifting or perhaps both.

The light powder was not difficult to walk in but made traction difficult on the steep pitches of which there are many on this trail. I found the glades particularly tedious due to the powder which definitely slowed down progress. Skiers also had obliterated the trail in the glades making it difficult to follow in places. Up on the ridge of the false summit there were no signs of previous passage as the drifts were quite high. The corridor was there, and by staying in the middle you could get through pretty well.

Heading up the final pitch to the summit turned out to be fairly difficult as the entire slope was drifted over. At one point I gave up trying to follow the trail as the drifts and the steep pitch were very difficult. We angled off to the right and picked up the ski slope and headed up to the top. Coming down we broke out the Rim trail from the summit which was knee deep. On the way down we pretty well followed the trail and busted through the drifts. I believe it's fairly passable now. If you follow our tracks going up that final pitch the fork to the left is shorter and more nearly correct in following the actual trail.

Under present conditions snowshoes are definitely recommended preferably MSRs or similar for added traction.

The trail is clear of obstacles with just a minor duck under at about 2500'.

Aside from meeting some skiers at the top we saw only one other person all day, a skier coming down through the glades.

The VFTT were outstanding today. The temps in the upper 20s with just a very slight breeze at the top.

Summer or winter this was probably the stiffest workout I've ever had on this trail but is was all in all an enjoyable hike.

Photo of Ed'n Lauky on the top.

http://s219.beta.photobucket.com/user/Boondeck/media/IMG_4191_zpsc2754c03.jpg.html

Mileage: 2
Elevation gain: 2200

[email protected]

Last edited: