Carrigain And A Wildlife Encounter Of The Best Kind, 1/24/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
January 24, 2012: Carrigain

Trails: Sawyer River Road, Signal Ridge Trail

Summits: Carrigain

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

The really good things about the road walk on Sawyer River Road is we get to see the repair work that was done after TS Irene paid the area a visit, and it’s a mild warm-up/cool down for the day. We got started a little later than originally planned but knew there was plenty of time to complete the hike. We left the winter trailhead lot at the end of Sawyer River Road with warm and relatively dry conditions bare booting our way to the end of Signal Ridge Trail two miles away. Sawyer River Road is a very well used snowmobile trail and the walking was easy. There was no weekday snowmobile traffic and the walking was quiet.

We reached the trailhead for Signal Ridge Trail and found a trail that was broken out but covered in an inch or two of wet snow. After walking a couple hundred feet onto the trail we stopped and got out our snowshoes. The trail underneath is solid enough that we wouldn’t cause significant damage by bare booting, but there was enough fresh cover that we would leave a mess. We didn’t want to do that. After the quick snowshoe distraction we were again hiking. Since the trail was broken out we decided to hike it instead of taking the bushwhack to avoid the early crossings of Whiteface Brook. We had a wide and flat snowshoe track to follow and the new cover wasn’t an issue. At the crossings of Whiteface Brook we found what appeared to be solid ice bridges in place. The first one was fine; the second one did some cracking as I crossed. It held.

Beyond the crossings we found several slush pits. After experiencing the first one we realized they were best avoided like any similar mud pit. They were all easy to step around off-trail. We generally cruised at a moderate pace to the Signal Ridge – Carrigain Notch trails split. We stayed with Signal ridge trail and got past the next two crossings without any problems at all. After a couple more slush pits we were on the climb and our sloppy conditions were only a memory.

The climb to Signal Ridge seemed very slow. Back-to-back hike days can make the second day’s hike seem tougher than it really is. We slowly made our way of the seemingly endless ramp. At roughly 3000 feet the trail swings north, the grade moderates, and we gained roughly 700 feet in the next mile. Finally, there is a sharp left that starts the approach to Signal Ridge. The forecast for the day indicated we would probably be hit by a fair amount of wind on Signal Ridge. I kept asking Sue about wind noise. There was never anything significant. On the final approach to the open area on Signal Ridge the trail actually follows the ridge for a short distance in the spruce. I knew we would be able to decide if additional layers were needed before actually stepping into the open. We both went with hooded jackets and headgear.

The open part of Signal Ridge had some pretty good drifting in places. The snow cover was wet and somewhat consolidated. We had no real problem with the trail condition and the wind was coming from the west and also easy to deal with. In a short time we were back in the conifers leading to the Fire Warden’s Cabin site and on to the summit tower. The trail surface showed a significant content of ice that must have fallen from the trees. Evidently, there was a pretty good ice storm in the area recently.

We made our way to the final steep pitch and climbed to the tower. We reached the tower and didn’t climb any higher. The area was clouded in with no views. Also, a strong wind was coming across the area. We stayed at ground level, got our pictures, and started our exit walk.

The hike back out was nearly as uneventful as the hike in. We crossed Signal ridge without any real problems from the wind, continued the descent and were soon sheltered from the wind, and eventually hit the moderate grades on the lower Signal Ridge Trail and all of the slush pits hiding there. Soon we arrived to the crossings near the Signal Ridge – Carrigain Notch trails split. We cleared the crossings, stopped for quick refreshment, and continued our exit walk.

Within a quarter mile of the trails split we came upon some really fresh moose tracks in our tracks. Since we passed through the area within four to five hours earlier, that was the age of the moose tracks, or less. The moose postholed his way along the trail and stepped off to the right of the trail for a short distance, then stepped back onto the trail, and finally headed left. Since my hearing is very poor, Sue and I don’t normally talk while moving. If we need to discuss something we stop. Consequently, we’re pretty quiet as we hike along.

Sue was roughly ten yards ahead when I said “Stop, there it is”. Sue froze and started looking in the direction I was indicating. I called her back to where I was and she could see the moose. The moose was roughly thirty yards ahead and twenty yards to the left of the trail. We all just stood there looking at each other. The moose didn’t spook. Slowly Sue and I pulled out our cameras but the lighting was poor and the shot was too far for a flash. I’m sure Sue’s results were no better than mine. Sue wandered along the trail looking for a better photo opportunity. Eventually, the moose started to move away, it walked over a small rise, and was gone.

That’s a very nice wildlife distraction to finish off the day. When we arrived to the crossings of Whiteface Brook we noticed a significant amount of the ice bridge that cracked when we crossed earlier was missing. Carefully, we made our way across again and watched as another large section dropped into the stream. In roughly forty-five minutes after the wildlife distraction we were on Sawyer River Road headed to the winter lot. We reached the truck, packed, and headed for the Highland Center to change into some dry clothes for the trip home.

That was the end of a good mini vacation. Thanks for sharing your time-off with me Sue. Now, go back to work so I can get some rest.

Pictures will follow.

:)

Nice TR -- I wonder if that's the same moose that looked Sage up and down back in late October. We were hoping to see him again last week (we didn't).

Nice Report Earl, I hope you told the moose to get some snow shoes and that postholing is frowned apon:D

Nice Report Earl, I hope you told the moose to get some snow shoes and that postholing is frowned apon:D
These critters seem to really enjoy hiking trails - especially the ones that are tracked out and packed smooth.

:rolleyes:

What was the state of the road repairs?
The main highway still has a temporary bridge over Sawyer River, but it's open to normal traffic.

Sawyer River Road is fine. The washed out area has been graded and the snowmobile trail just has a small dip in this area. I wouldn't be surprised if it is left in this condition. The crews may fill and bring the grade back to the level it was pre-storm, but it doesn't seem needed to me.

:)