Carrigain via the Signal Ridge Trail 03/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjhbos

Reaction score
Met up with a big group of hikers at the Sawyer River Road parking lot at 8AM. It was a big group (by far the largest I had hiked with) and it included Brian, Bob, Gerri, Adrian, Mark, Sean, Stephanie, Daraine? I think that there were nine others but I can’t remember the last member of the group – sorry.

We planned to hike the Signal Ridge Trail to the summit of Mt. Carrigain. For Brian, it would be his 48th 4,000 footer in winter and it was a fun group along for the trip. For some of the group, including me, it would be my first time at the top of Carrigian, while for about half the group they had climbed this mountain many times.

The trail was very well packed down and pretty easy going, everyone bare booted the entire trail to the summit. As we approached the top we met a couple of other hikers that were heading down and mentioned that a clearing that we would be at in about 5 minutes, a quarter of a mile from the summit, was extra windy today and so we stopped and put on a couple of extra layers before pushing on.

I had heard that on a clear day Carrigain offered great views of the Whites and we were not disappointed with speculator views at the summit and so we stopped there for a lunch break. The group was very generous with sharing food and I sampled some homemade cookies that were delicious. Sean finished a whole jar of old picked eggs at the summit which made for an 'interesting' return journey.

Bob and Gerri are old pro's on these hikes and as well as being great company I was able to get some useful insights from Bob on some of the mountains that I have not climbed yet but will summit before the end of this year.

Most of us threw on crampons for the descent and we made good time back to the cars. Unfortunately, the adventure was not over yet as two of the three vehicles had sunk slightly into the snow at the parking lot but with lots of digging and pushing we were eventually able to get them free.

I needed to be back in Boston that night and so was not able to stay on to socialize with people afterwards.

I had the good fortune to meet very nice people in the group that I hope to connect with in the future for more hikes.

Thanks so much for a fun day,
-Steve

wow- sounds like much different conditions than the prezzies on sat. and that isn't all that far away - sounded like you guys had some fun.

I left twin mt yesterday am and as soon as I pulled out of franconia notch - it was like a different world with sun shining, etc.. on sat am I pulled into the notch and really didn't see then sun again until leaving it sunday!!

Brian's 48th winter on Carrigain

It was a great day Saturday and a fun group to hike with! We were ten in total and had many laughs and some amazing views along the way.
We were very glad to see Tom at the parking lot who we had hiked Isolation with last year on the last winter weekend of hiking (an epic hike). It was too bad that it took a year to meet up again. Our friend Stephanie joined us, who is always a lot of fun to have along. Trail.....

It was Brian's 48th winter, so it was special for us and a nice surprise to meet so many fun hikers for the day! Bob & Geri along with Sean & Steve, Tom & Mark, Steph, and Adrian all joined in for the fun.

The hike seemed to go by so fast with so many different people to talk with along the way. Before we knew it, we were at the tower and snapping lots of pictures. The food came out yum, yum. Homemade Baklava, hot cider, tea, chocolate, PB&J's and Sean's pickled eggs. Glad you were riding home with him Steve! We stayed at the summit for a while enjoying the views and chowing.

The hike down was a little icy, some of us went without the crampons and okay I took a couple falls (Bob, did I feel a push??). It was those trees that got Steph and I though, jumping out like that in front of us!!!
It was definitly one of our more fun days in the White's and I was able to teach a few on the correct pronounciation of the Kancamagus. ;)

Thanks for joining us at the Moat for celebration drinks and good food. We missed Sean & Steve who had to leave, but everyone else joined us for more laughs and stories. I know it was in the wrong direction for where you were heading.

Another perfect day in the White's with great new & old friends!

Darlene & Brian

My pictures are at:

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=momdar&P=&AID=3342448&Pres=Y

Hey Brian that was one super way to meet up again celebrating your # 48 Winter Peak!!!!!
Sjhbos, Sean & Adrian it was great to hike with you guys. S & S, too bad you didn't come for the extended part of the trip at the Moat.
Stephanie, I do hope you heal real soon..... Tree Dancer!
Was a great time eating the MARKLAVA.......... again. Thanks Mark. Sounds like you, Bob & Gerri went on for another nice one Sun.
Oh & Darlene we are thinking of hitting Mt. KANG A MANG US :confused: :) in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know when.
A nice close to the Winter season!