Carrigan via Signal Ridge 9/30/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
Marty, Ray and I hiked yesterday to Mount Carrigan on the Signal Ridge Trail. Starting at quarter to nine, we hiked into the terrific foliage. Leaves were turning into a crispy yellow and settling into the rocky steps, making it into one of those calendar perfect memories.
My companions spoke well of certain spots of the epic 48 hike for Marty last year. They entertained me about the spills and the sweaty push to the summit, in unforgivable conditions that would deter a touristy hiker. I was smitten as we climbed into an avenue of birches with flaming like torches of leaves lifted up to the banner of heaven, ah what a pretty sight! The rich colors interspersed with the hardwoods as we climbed always touches me at this time of year, perhaps because it’s unusual in spring, summer, and winter.
Signal Ridge welcomed us with the magnificent views that Norman Beals would be obliged to paint. Aside from the haze we could see Mount Washington, Chocorua, and Osceola in distance. Before us in hand grabbing closeness was Stairs Mountain and Vose Spur and the Captain I could only hope to climb those someday with the good company I was in.
The tower that loomed ahead came to us as we summited. We snapped a few pictures and met several men celebrating their 48, congrats! The winds seemed to have been brought by me that we felt it was appropriate to climb down.
The five miles back felt like a continuous slide for me. My legs have been out of climbing condition than usual, they were weak and fatigued. Regardless of the little aches and pains, it was a delight to hike. The three of us were rewarded with rich views and towards the end, a little sustenance and a cup of coffee around three p.m. Great day gents! Ray and Marty, always a pleasure to share the trails with you!

Pics:
560909090wiSkXc

Clarke - It was indeed great to hike with you again. Congrats on tagging mighty Mt. Carrigain. What a day, huh? The weather just doesn't get better than that! Nice job on the photos and report.

Look forward to hiking with you again in the not-too-distant-future when Ray goes for Old Speck for his NE #67 :D :cool:

Regards,
Marty

Hey Clarke,

As always it was great to hike with both you and Marty. Nice TR and very nice pictures, too.

Best,
Ray

You had a much nicer view hike then I did, thats for sure. I need to get up there again on a clear day, though I did get some stunning shots of Mt Lowell from Signal Ridge. But from the summit, views were clouded over. Just another reason to go again. :-D Glad you had a great hike!

grouseking