Carson & Grace?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenG

Reaction score
Hi, I'm kinda feelin' left out. Could someone please fill me in on the Carson & Grace story? I think Carson is South Dix and Grace is East Dix, but I'm not sure. Also, who are Carson and Grace, when did the bid to change the names start, who's pushing it, and why, what's the up to date news on the attempt to change the names? Just curious! KenG :confused:

Russel Carson and Grace Hudowalski. Go to the 46er web page

http://www.adk46r.org

Read Grace's obituary to find out about Grace (Our beloved Grace passes away). Russel Carson wrote, "Peaks and People of the Adirondacks, which was, in its time, was the first real book about the Adirondacks.

Then at the bottom of the 46er home page, click on the stuff about the Grace Committee to see what is going on.

Thanks, Pete. But for the uninitiated, how about telling us which of the Dixes is to be renamed for Grace Hudowalski, and which one for Russ Carson.

Point is twofold.

First, if you want Grace and Carson to become commonly used as geographic names, then people need to know exactly which features they are being applied to. And, second, when somebody asks a direct question, they ought to get a direct answer. The links were nice and provide a great deal of valuable background info, but they failed to answer the fundamental question as to which peak is which.

It might be helpful if, in correspondence here and elsewhere we referred to the peaks in question as Grace (formerly East Dix) and Carson (formerly south Dix) just for the sake of clarity. Else, we work toward defeat of our own purpose in having these names enter common usage and having the peaks renamed in honor of people who have made very significant contributions to our appreciation of them.

G.

Last edited:
>>It might be helpful if, in correspondence here and elsewhere we referred to the peaks in question as Grace (formerly East Dix) and Carson (formerly south Dix)<<

they are not "formerly" yet - they are still south dix & east dix today

Last edited:
Ken, et al -

East Dix may not yet be Grace Peak, and South Dix may not yet be Carson, but one key to getting the new names adopted is to bring them into common usage. It won't happen until folks know which is which. So I continue to advocate the references thus:

Grace Peak (formerly East Dix), and Carson (formerly South Dix)

to minmize confusion and bring about the desired name changes.

Simple thing, really.

G.

The Grace Peak committee asked for and was granted the request that the new names appear in the new edition of the High Peaks guidebook. Tony Goodwin was good enough to make the change, even as the edition is in its final stages. The names won't be substituted, but there will be a paragraph explaining what we're trying to do.
The committee also asked that new names(in brackets for example) also appear on new maps. The ADK is not planning another print run of their HP maps for a while, so this request will have to be re-visited in the future.

Last edited:
New Names for old mountains

I've been following this thread with curiosity- I have a question. Does anyone know why these particular mountains were choosen for the honoring of this two worthy individuals?

Thanks and Cheers :cool:

They don't have particular historic connections, simply their proximity to Dix Mtn which is nearby and in the same range.
Also, Grace Peak(formerly E. Dix) is visible from Grace Hudowalski's camp, Boulders, a mountain that she could see on every good weather day she was up at camp.

Other mtns in the Adirondacks have their own separae identities, or histories behind their namings. There would be no way we could suggest renaming Gothics, Nippletop, Phelps...you get the idea.

Peakbagr,
I'm curious again, was is Grace Hudowalski's camp, Boulder's, was it up the Bouquet river?

Re: New Names for old mountains

woodstrider said:
I've been following this thread with curiosity- I have a question. Does anyone know why these particular mountains were choosen for the honoring of this two worthy individuals?

Out of the 46, they are the only ones with,
I beleive the tern is, associative names. They don't really have names of their own, but their name is that of another nearby peak. All the other peaks are named after a person or feature or 'mood'.

Grace's cottage (boulders) is on Schroon Lake, and from the beach, one has an excellent view of much of the Dix Range.