Cascade via the Cascade

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
It’s hard to believe that this route is rarely used anymore, and the standard route is pounded by thousands every year. Compared to the standard route it’s less than ½ the distance, but still takes about as long. Picture taking mostly; that’s what slowed us down.

We started this hike from the usual spot, at what’s referred to as a roadside park. This spot is located between the two Cascade Lake on a nice grassy knoll complete with picnic tables, a boat launch and one well established porta-potty. There is a small wooden bridge over the outlet that connects the two lakes, that’s our route.

Once across the bridge we followed a well used herd path which brought us steadily uphill. The path forked not long into the hike, we quickly realized that the split was an invite to which ever side of the brook we chose to hike along.

Note-If the waters low, it doesn’t really matter. But if the water is high, you need to remember that the brook needs to be on your right in order to easily get above the waterfall.

We followed the left fork which quickly brought us up on a high embankment well above the brook. There were very slippery sections on this side of the brook, with small ledges we needed walk beside. Eventually the brook came up to us, or did we eventually get down to the brook?? No matter how you see it, the path leads right to the base of the waterfall, which in my opinion-is quite a sight. After a half dozen pictures of a practically dry waterfall, from a late summer drought, we sought out the continuation of the path. The path, now much more indistinct leads very-very steeply up the left side bank along the waterfall. This section I can see as being very dangerous in slippery situations, or winter conditions.

The path starts by following an old runoff before heading straight up a layered rock ledge, switchbacking is the only proper and safe way we could find up it-it’s literally using all fours. The herd path ends on the top ledge of the waterfall, complete with a tiny pool to cool off in. The views from here are magnificent, looking down on Cascade Lake and over the highway to Pitchoff’s cliffs and Balanced Boulders.

From this point it was a matter of returning to the woods for an easier hike. We were very happy to see open woods as we zigzagged around the trees, while keeping the brook within earshot away. In a short amount of time and some serious elevation over steep terrain we found our way back to the brook. Again we were very happy with our findings; low water and easy rock hopping. It wasn’t long before we were going full speed up the brook.

After around 0.5 miles we were at a split, left was the brook and right was this kind of mini-slide. We took the slide approach of course. It’s not as direct of an approach, but by far the best. The base of the slide is a wide bare section of slab rock with coating of moss, perfect for traction, because it was pretty wet on spots. We followed this gift to its end, all the while thinking, “This is so much better than the trail”.

At the end of the slide we continued up the brook for a really short distance, which we found really wasn’t necessary. The woods are so inviting at this point. Leaving the brook on the left hand side exited us into some of the most amazing and rare birch glades in the eastern High Peaks Region.

We followed these birch glades for over ¼ mile before they finally stopped short of the summit by a mere 0.1 miles. From here it was a little dense growth pines but no real thicket, it wouldn’t have been so bad if the trees weren’t so wet from continually being in the midst of liquid sunshine. The final few feet was us climbing up the open rock directly under the summit. Kind of expected the usual “Where’d you come from?” question and odd look. But, nothing-we were just a couple regular guys wrapped up in “Gore-Tex”, just like everyone else.

Nice report Spence. I started to climb this trail a few eyars ago on my mway home from a trip. Trying to do it in Teva's is not a smart thing to do. I needed to turn around.

One of my very favorite short 'whacks. Scenic, beautiful open woods...ferns and birches. The starting point for the trip was the site for an old hotel that burned long ago.
Before there was any thought of the current hiking trail up Cascade Mt, this was the standard route for the tourists of that generation.
Just a spectacularly nice hike. The top of Cascade from this direction is collared by some balsam. By picking your spot where you cross this band, you can have either a 2 minute or 15 minute section of thick stuff before you hit the summit cone.
To any that go here, pls try and stay off the vegatation and on the rock when you hit the alpine zone.
Thanks for sharing a great trip.
To view the trip in its entirety, look up the gully you see from Rte 73 where the summit rocks of Cascade are visible. Thats it.

Last edited:
Nice report Spence. Funny that just yesterday HighonLife and I were discussing this route and then I came home to read your report. I love that trip.

Bri,

Pictures 5 thru 8 really give a sense of the route. The fog gaves a haunted look to the images, but with the nice foliage, a sunny day is spectacular coming thru there in the Autumn.

Nice 'uns.

Alan

Sounds good. It should be more solid now too. I wonder if Spencer climbed the waterfall or circumvented it. We plan to go via the waterfall :eek:so I am assuming we will need ice climbing gear - any feedback?

I just did it a few weeks ago. It's a bear!!!
Here's my report.

Cascade is now broken out!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you thought I meant the trail? Heck no. Corenne and I decided to put the skis aside and get her, her first winter High Peak, But I can't do things the normal way as many of you know so we decided to break out the waterfall route.

I had never done this in the winter, but it's ONLY 0.8 miles from between the Cascade Lakes, we can do anything for that distance.

We followed a broken route to the top of the second waterfall and out microspikes worked alright but full crampons would have made it a little less white knuckle like. It is extremely steep getting to the top of the two waterfalls and very hazardous, don't take this route lightly.

We then had to put on our snowshoes for the remaining 0.65 miles or so (straight line distance). The snow at this point was about 8-10 inches, but very wet and each lift of the snowshoe brought up a couple pounds of wet snow. As we got closer to the summit the snow obviously got deeper and tendency to get stuck with the spruce traps remained true. It was like hiking with Brian, damn lightweights! Walk over the spruce traps and leave them for me. I wanted to be a nice guy and give her the gift of a broken trail but I had to have Corenne take up my slack and she was awesome.

The snow near the top was, how do I say this and not curse? Unforgiving. We pushed through snow wall after snow wall. Some of theses walls were 6-8 feet high. We had to beat them down with your poles to make holes to crawl through. Oh, and wet, 35 degreees today, everything was dripping and the snow as heavy as I have ever seen it.

Don't get me wrong this was only about 2 tenths of a mile before the summit rocks. The summit was in the clouds so I could not see the top and the best course of attack, everything looked so much different in the winter. We pushed to far left. Left is the wide band of spruces and right is the narrow band. We hit the worst spot dead on.

Anyhow we hit the top after 4 hours, about an average 0.25 miles per hour from the car. It's broken out now, but still needs a little work. I recommend if this route as intriqued you in the past try it. It's steep, and tough but the reward of no crowds and solitude is definatly worth the effort afforded.

Exactly, it's pretty straight forward. We wanted to stay in the stream but it wasn't frozen enough. If the ice is solid it would be even easier. Do not try the right side of the waterfall as a warning, it's too steep and dangerous for summer much less winter.