Castle Ravine/Castle Ridge 9.11.11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score

Castle Ravine/ Castle Ridge Loop

After venturing up Great Gulf last weekend I got to thinking about my other favorite trails and loops in the Whites and decided to take a trip back up one of my favorite loops--Castle Ravine & Castle Ridge. Also, after nearly simultaneously burning out two pairs of boots I was looking forward to this hike to test out one of my new pairs of kicks--La Sportiva Raptors.

A note on crossings: the Israel River was flowing a bit but the first crossing was easily rock-hopped. Almost all other crossings except for the last couple before the headwall involve wet boots (mostly shin- to knee-deep water). While the water level looked slightly elevated from what I recall seeing last summer, I suspect the wet crossings are mostly a result of stepping stones being pushed downstream. As for trail damage there were some sections that had fresh deposits over the trail where the river jumped the banks but there was only one bad section where the trail was completely eroded. You approach the river from the east bank and almost all signs of trail disappear (I was unsure if it crossed the river again or not but noticed a herd path 100 feet ahead along the same bank with a large chunk of trail missing). With a little tree hugging you can skirt the drop below and get back onto the trail.

There was also this neat feature at one of the crossings, I can't recall if this was here last summer or not. The trail came pretty close to getting blocked off...
DSCN1073.JPG

DSCN1075.JPG

Another view

There's also the last two crossings where the avalanche swept through almost 2 years ago, the first crossing is still a bit tedious:
DSCN1076.JPG

DSCN1086.JPG

View up to Castle Ridge from the ravine

I gave up some grand plan of expanding my loop to include Buttress/Six Husbands/Castle Ridge after I got a late start so instead I enjoyed a leisurely stroll along Gulfside to one of my favorite spots along the ridge--Monticello Lawn.

DSCN1103.JPG

Adams from Monticello Lawn

DSCN1106.JPG

Clay from Monticello Lawn

DSCN1116.JPG

Nice dark colors from Jefferson Loop

DSCN1124.JPG

Adams from Castle Ridge

DSCN1130.JPG

View into Castle Ravine from Castle Ridge

What a great leisurely hike for my last hike of this summer season--awesome loop. All the trails were in great shape. There were only two small stepover blowdowns on the Castle Ridge Trail and zero on the Castle Ravine Trail (plenty of evidence of recent blowdown removal though), so a huge thanks to the maintainers!

P.S. regarding my first trip out with La Sportiva Raptors, they're a damn comfy boot with excellent traction. The mesh provides no waterproofing but with light socks they dry out pretty quickly. Something to consider if you're like me and push the seasons with other boots before switching to winter boots...

Pat
pcushing21 at yahoo dot com

Thank you for the great pics and write-up. In my 41+ years in the White Mountains, I still think Jefferson is possibly the most spectacular hike of them all. :)

I think I gotta agree with you--I'm addicted to Presidentials and that's largely due to the notherns! Washington might have some great steep and challenging trails up it but it's got the zoo at the top. It's tough picking a favorite though...