Catskill Blues

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
Berries, that is!

Does anyone know if the berries are ready up on Ashokan High point? Or any other suggestions for blueberry picking? Huckleberry point? Gunks? Do they ripen from lower elevations up the mountain, or do they just respond to exposure (sunlight, temperature, etc)? The ones in my driveway are just starting to be pickable.

I'm thinking of hiking on July 4 or maybe later in the weekend. Any secret spots folks are willing to reveal (I'll trade loon photos!)? :D

I checked my field notes from prior years. It is probably one to two weeks early for any blueberries to be ripe on Ashokan High Point. That is true both on the 3080' summit and the 2800' eastern knob -- which can be reached via a somewhat faint herd path starting from the north side of the 3080' summit.

I often climb Ashokan High Point in late June and early July to see the mountain laurel in bloom. Unfortunately I have not been up this year. In early July just a few berries were approaching ripeness based on their size. But they have always been still very green.

I agree with Tom the low bush blueberries are ripe just about anywhere in the Shawangunks. They should also be ripe near Vernooy Kill Falls in the Catskills. I have also seen a few ripe blueberries at the 1700' Palenville Overlook in the Catskills in early July. But mid July has always been better, as it also is around North and South Lakes.

Last edited:
Yup, I would say the Gunks are ready, was in the Nature Conservancy Ice Caves, Shingle Gully, etc, last weekend and many ripe ones (lowbush), some were actually still green and some were somewhat tasteless but I would say now is a good time to go berry picking in the Gunks and southern catskills.

Jay

Mark Schaefer said:
They should also be ripe near Vernooy Kill Falls in the Catskills. I have also seen a few ripe blueberries at the 1700' Palenville Overlook in the Catskills in early July. But mid July has always been better, as it also is around North and South Lakes.

Ah-ha! Thanks. I have only hiked Vernooy Kill area under winter conditions with much snow and ice - didn't think of it for blues. That's totally great - nice and close to home (good for gas mileage).

I'll see you all on AHP later this month ;)