Catskill HH completion 8-31-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
Peakbagr completes Catskill HH - 8-31-08

It was a pleasure to be a part of the largest hiking group I’ve ever been with (26) to accompany Alan (‘peakbagr’) and 4-legged hiker Bookah on a picture perfect day to celebrate their completion of the Catskill Highest Hundred mountains. The cast of characters included Alan & Boo, wife Barb, son Matt and s.o. Megan, daughter Gillian, Jay, Cindy (Snickers), George (doodles), Heather (halia) & Tom (flammeus) (from VFTT) and their two pooches, Kim (wyldeflower), Peter (mountainmeijin), David and Carol, Tom and Laurie, Tony (rockysummit) and daughter Nicole, Mark and Nancy, Ralph (hermit) and Maddy, Moonray and Rachael, Joanne (edelweiss) and Dick. Whew! I’m sure Alan may want to describe more of his overall 100 venture, so I’ll start off with this day’s hike only.

Alan had selected Stoppel Pt. to be his final (102nd) mountain, a trailed peak with nice views along the way. The Schutt Road parking lot was already half filled when we arrived. We later learned that it was OK to park along the side of the road – or at least people did so with impunity. After introductions and group photo, we invaded the North-South Lake Campground on foot to avoid the parking fee, and sauntered down to the Mary’s Glen trailhead. As we hiked people started to spread out, and some groups stopped to chat, which was to be the order of the day. Carol and David hiked the Rock Shelter trail and met up with the group at the first junction. There were lots of other groups of various nationalities on the trail as well.

One can’t help but pause at North Point for some picture taking, which offered fine views of the lakes and the Hudson valley. Kim arrived late, but caught up to us here. Moving on, we made our mostly level way to Stoppel Point and through one of the longer and more beautiful hemlock and balsam forests I’ve been through! What was predominately a rocky trail changed to soft pine needles under foot. At the summit we all waited for Alan to make his “grand entrance”. Mountainmeijin suddenly appeared, huffing and puffing from running to make the event. Finally, with cap, sunglasses, shorts, hiking boots, and a costume change into a white dress shirt and tie, Alan joined us, grinning from ear to ear. After singing “Happy Highest Hundred to You” we enjoyed champagne, brownies and confab. A post-lunch walk to the site of an airplane crash followed. Some of us took a detour along the way to tag the true summit, a short bushwhack off trail.

The group became a little smaller on the descent, as some left early, some took different route back along the escarpment trail to soak in the incredible views of the Hudson Valley. After discussion and vote, we decided to take the side trail to Lookout Rock/Sunset Rock, with David’s and Carol’s assurance that we wouldn’t have to backtrack. The views were fabulous. Avoiding the backtrack involved a short, tricky scramble down a 20-30 ft. chute, with a “leap of faith” for shorter people. A couple of spotters were placed to help out in these places. The effort brought us back to the main trail. Whether getting 20+ people through that crack saved us any time is questionable, but it was fun and saved the backtracking.

Carol, having returned the same path we ascended, picked up her car and met me at the picnic area lot, while others walked out. The game plan was to have her drive me to the Schutt Rd. lot to get my car and return to pick up the road walkers. We picked up Alan along the way, and met Nancy at the lot, who had descended with Carol. The gatekeeper allowed the three cars in at no charge, so we could pick up the hikers. A few decided to walk, and one (Kim) decided to run back (!) Though a few had to leave, a sizeable number convened at O’Neill’s in Tannersville for dinner and final celebration.

Congratulations, Alan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well written, Dick, as always!

Very nice pics, Joanne!

Congrats to Alan!

A nice day to be out with a great bunch of people!

Last edited:
Thanks for the report, Dick, and thank you for taking the beautiful photos, Joanne.

Tom and I were delighted to be part of such a wonderful moving party. We could hardly call it a hike, so much socializing and great conversations. Thank you, Alan, for including us.

You CHH finishers are an inspiring bunch... I think I'm developing list lust. :D

Congratulations, Alan and Bookah!

Great report, Dick and beautiful photos, Jo. A great social hike for sure. Sorry I could not be there. Looks like everyone had fun on the return hikes including the "Sunset chute shortcut" (try saying that fast several times - or perhaps better not).

On a side note. I am happy to see that the trail crew cleaned up the blowdown from that Blackhead Range view on Stoppel Point, restoring the view to its pre-ice storm splendor.

To make a short story longer, deciding to climb the Catskill 100 Highest began when Mark Schaefer published the list.
Mark began with the decades-old Walking News list of 98 peaks reaching 3,000’. He poured over Catskill quads to verify the accuracy and then searched the maps to find 2 more that would round the list out at an even 100. Mark discovered that peak #99, Hodge Pond Mt was 2,985’, and then 3 more at 2,980’ tied for position #100. Thus was born the 102 peaks comprising the Catskill 100.
When his list came out, I was hooked. Mark also linked the locations of all of the summits to an internet mapping site allowing folks to research access and determine if private property permissions were required. And he did the background work to provide alternative or local names for the peaks and offered the most logical names where no real names existed before.

I started hiking with Dick and Joanne Hihn who were interested in climbing the Catskill 3500 peaks so I had another quest. Go back over the 35ers by getting my friends over the 3500 summits, do them with my Lab, Bookah, and have a pretty good idea that I’d hook them on bushwhacking and doing the Cat100 list….Mission accomplished.

Over breakfast with my long suffering spouse the morning of Stoppel Point, I didn’t even try to convince her that this would be the last ‘list’. She knows better from 3 decades of experience. I always start out believing myself, but inevitably, I get caught up in the heat of a list…well, anyone who knows me knows how to finish that sentence. She’d already heard discussions regarding the VT100 and finishing the NEHH.

The Catskill 100s have much to offer. The list takes you to places in the Catskill mountains that you’ll never know could be so beautiful. Many of these mountains are truly wild. Or they have wild sides. Others have abandoned orchards, stone fences and grown over pastures reaching up high. We happened across chest high ferns, birch and cherry glades, ferocious acres and acres of berry prickers guarding many of the summits. With the exception of the peaks with old woods roads, many of these mountains have no herd paths or any signs of man’s passing.

More importantly are the friends made along the way. Dick and Jo for most of the 100. Mark Schaefer for his advice, knowledge and assistance to all of us.
And thanks Ralph, Tom, Laurie, Jay, Rachel, Moonray, Rob, Carlo, for being good friends and hiking companions. Also Cindy, George, Tony and Ronnie. And I sure don’t want to miss Mudhook Jim, for all his sage advice, encyclopedic knowledge, and fun on the hikes we’ve done together. Sure hope we get to enjoy your Grid finish this Fall.

Who could know so many would show up to share Stoppel Point? Thank you
Dick and Jo, Dave & Carol, Maddy and Ralph, Tom & Heather, Moonray and Rachel, Tony & Nicole, Tom & Laurie, Mark & Nancy, Jay, Cindy, George, Kim, Peter. Sure hope I didn’t forget anyone in my haste.
And thanks for my entire family further brightening a great day.

I won't even try to explain the fun I've had watching Bookah develop as a hiking companion. From a puppy that had to be helped down waist high rocks and ledges to her finding our way thru tall cliff bands. She tore thru the 100 summits in a little over 2 years. Dogs lives' are so short and the memories of her on the 3500ers and the Cat100 will stay with me forever. As well as her fondness for porcupines, mice and chipmunks.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my desire to get Bookah out on all of these, riding in the car with her on your laps or the food begging along the trails and at lunch.
Hope to see you all soon in the woods.

Photos: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=avk6ugum.9haz2336&x=0&y=uyqxe5&localeid=en_US

Last edited:
Peakbagr said:
I won't even try to explain the fun I've had watching Bookah develop as a hiking companion. From a puppy that had to be helped down waist high rocks and ledges to her finding our way thru tall cliff bands. She tore thru the 100 summits in a little over 2 years. Dogs lives' are so short and the memories of her on the 3500ers and the Cat100 will stay with me forever. As well as her fondness for porcupines, mice and chipmunks.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my desire to get Bookah out on all of these, riding in the car with her on your laps or the food begging along the trails and at lunch.
Hope to see you all soon in the woods.

Photos: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=avk6ugum.9haz2336&x=0&y=uyqxe5&localeid=en_US

Congrats again, Alan, and thank you for more wonderful photos. Tom will get a huge kick out of the stop action leaps - they are so cool.

I have my moments when I see the extra white on Iske's muzzle - in the past year it has spread to her eyebrows - and I know I won't have her with me forever. I cherish the memories as they unfold. Thank you so much for affording Tom and I (and all of us) a chance to share something so special and delightful with all your family - human and canine. We are grateful to have been part of it.

H

Its I that was privileged and grateful for everyone who gave up part of the holiday weekend to join the celebration.
Stoppel was perfect for the finale. As someone might have said, more of a walking visit with all of my guests. I spent time with everyone, or at least tried to. Probably the slowest hike and maybe one of the slowest and I loved visiting with everyone.
My family knew some of the participants in person, like Jo, Dick and Jay. Our guest bedroom is known as 'Jay's room'. And Barb has known Mark and and Nancy for years. My spouse also knows Moonray and Rachel and has heard many Ralph stories. Now they've met the others and are looking forward to another outing with the new friends.

It was nice to have you, Tom and the pooches join us as well. See you the next time in the woods.

Congratulations, not on having finished the list, but on having done so many fine hikes.

Speaking of the "next list", I heard about some guy who was working up a 50 ADK slide list. :D