Catskills campgrounds in winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennsy

Reaction score
NE Pennsylvania, Avatar: Index Rock on Katahd
I'm planning on making several Catskills 3500 footer hikes this winter, some by backpacking and others by car/base camping. It looks like all the DEC campgrounds are closed in winter months, so I'm looking for campgrounds to base out of. Any suggestions?

On RT 42 (I think) just south of the peekamoose trailhead (I know) are a set of DEC car campsites. Free and no services available. I do not know if they are open in the winter but it's worth checking in on.

i stayed at a dec site maybe 5-10 minutes west on rt 28 from where you turn off to woodland valley, first right past cemetary (look for the brown dec sign)
i saw one drive up site for handicapped, one for non, the rest were walk ins.
like warren said free and no services available.

There are port-o-potties at the free sites west of the Peekamoose trailhead, however, it is a good possibility that the DEC might take them away in winter. Funkyfred and I camped there Oct 1st-2nd and there were there.

It's a nice spot and should be generally quieter in the winter, outside the primary hunting season. Can be a hangout spot for drinkers.

Jay

Thanks for the great ideas, especially the FREE ones. Free is good. :)
Hey Warren - Are you aka WarrenNyc? If so, we did a few Catskill winter hikes together a few years ago, notably the memorable Panther-Giant Ledge hike where your (if it was indeed you) water bladder leaked inside your pack.

Here's another one-I believe it's okay to camp near Notch Lake on 214. This is south of 23A, north of 28, in Stony Clove, between Plateau and Hunter Mountains. It's where the Devil's Path crosses the road, and there's a parking area right there. The actual Devils' Tombstone DEC campsite down the road is closed, but I think it's still okay to car camp at this other spot. I saw some folks here with a tent one morning in October on my way to SW Hunter.

BTW, if you're looking for Catskills hiking partners, post your plans, and look for mine and those of other folks. Good luck

Matt

I've seen a DEC sign there saying "No Camping" at the parking lot post but perhaps it's OK in the winter now that the DT is closed?

Jay

Has anyone who has been hiking in the Catskills this winter driven by the free camping sites on Peekamoose road? Are the porta potties there in the winter? I am looking for a camping spot. The campground In Phoenicia that is open all year round charges $28/night. Thats a bit pricey for camping.

I recall seeing on one of the signs for the Rt 42 grounds that they were seasonal (In fact I think thats when you drove me there). I would guess that porta potties are removed and the parking to be unplowed but I would check with the DEC.

Ryder Hollow (off Bellayre), Diamond Notch (off Hunter), Fox Hollow (off Panther) all offer minutes to the road lean tos. There are other.

catskills campgrounds

Phonecia Blackbear Campground charged me $12 for a tent site. I like it so I can walk into town for a beer and pizza. Or a coffee. But Ryder Hollow (1/4 mi.) and Diamond Notch (3/4 mi.) are close and work out well for skiing.