Catskills from New York City: Directions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I echo some of the other posters in that if you're going to pick just one peak to do, I would choose Wittenburg (RT about 8 miles) -- I find the views better and the hike more interesting. And often less crowded than Slide.

My husband and I have done W-C-S three times ... once one way and twice as a loop (from Woodland Valley). The loop is 15 miles and includes a section of road walking. Once we also added Giant Ledge which made the hike 16.5 miles. I prefer the loop because I think setting up the car shuttle is a pain.

Have fun!!

>>NY 17 West to exit 107. Go north on this county road which runs into NY 42 North and take it to its end at Grahamsville, NY. here make a left on NY 55 West. Make a right turn on County 47 to Claryville and just before Claryville make a left on the route to Frost Valley and the trailhead for Slide.<<

i usually only go to denning or peekamoose trailheads from the south. you do save about 15 minutes (and miles) going from the south to slide, but you also have to go through those dying towns that have to get money from someplace - - - - look out for the town cops that always seem to have a speed trap on that county route mentioned above - they have it set up that as you leave south fallsburg (heading home) and turn left on to that county route (at the new york city sign) the speed limit is posted at 55... then right away it drops down to 30 (for no apparent reason, it is still rural looking) so if you don't notice the first 30 mph sign they get you. that spot built them a nice new town hall & police headquarters.

Last edited:
Wittenburg is a great choice and excellent views but I have always liked Cornell. You get a great view of Slide and usually you have the summit to yourself. Only problem is you are looking at a good 9+ miles out and back. Once on Wittenburg, Cornell is not that much farther. It is well worth the extra miles. If you do the loop it is about 14.something miles. Can be done in a day but it is better to take that woods road just past Winnisook lake. It will take out half of the road walk and give you a more gradual climb up or down depening on which way you go.