Coleman Propane Stove Regulator Adaptor?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmaineac

Reaction score
It's maple syrup season and this is my first time trying it at home. I used to work at an outdoor education center where we had a commercial-grade evaporator, but now I have to make do with what I have at home.

My 2-Burner Coleman Stove (Model # 5466a) runs off of 1lb disposable propane cylinders, but these keep freezing up (or maybe it's the steel regulator arm?).

A solution that I'm considering is adapting/converting the stove to run off of 5 Gallon Propane Tanks that you would use for a BBQ grill.

The questions I have are:

1: Should I make it so my 5 Gal tank connects to the existing regulator on my stove (I'm guessing that the regulator arm would still freeze up). If this is the right answer due to pressure reasons - what size adaptor regulator do I need? These guys seem to have a huge variety of options: http://www.tejassmokers.com/lowpressureregulators.htm.

2: If I should just get a regulator that hooks directly up to the stove - what should I get for a regulator High or Low pressure - and what size/style brass fitting do I need? http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/brassfittings.htm

3: Should I just abandon this whole idea and boil off my single-burner Whisperlite?

Please try to answer questions 1 and 2 before derailing this thread to talk about how awesome your backpacking stove is and how it can run in any temps!

Thanks all!

Last edited:
If the problem is that the propane cylinder is getting too cold, then running off a big tank will solve the problem. If the regulator itself is freezing up (unlikely, I think), then it won't help.

I have a 2 burner Coleman white gas stove that I got the propane adapter for and the hose and adapter to connect it to a 20# tank. Used it to cook for the week power was out after Irene, then the same thing after Sandy, including big pasta pots... it worked great.

Thanks for the reply, Dana - I'm hoping that the 5LP/20# tank will solve the problem. What adaptor did you get? Did the stove have a small brass male port that you connected to? Thanks!

The propane adapter I got was a longish piece that replaces the gas generator tube that's normally attached to the liquid fuel tank, you wouldn't need that since your stove already uses propane. I bought the hose separately. The hose linked in the post above should do it for you.