Colorado 14ers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg YEAH!

Reaction score
I am headed to Colorado this July and am planning on hiking a couple of 14ers. My first peaks will either be Greys and Torreys or Bierstadt and Evans via Sawtooth, and then Longs Peak. Sawtooth and Longs both have Class 3 scrambles and I was wondering what, if anything, in the Whites (maybe the saddle between Pamola Peak and Baxter Peak via Knife Edge) could be compared to these scrambles. With the difference in definitions, I am just looking for what I can expect. I have seen pictures but those aren't worth a thousand words. Thanks.

Torrey and Grey's are the Cascade and Porter of the 14ers. Easy enough if you are acclimated to the elevation. The weather changes FAST out there,so be prepared for anything. Get a high clearance vehicle, it will be worth the extra bucks. HYDRATE!

Longer version

IMO Mt Sherman might be the easiest of the 14ers. When we were there, had to be 20-30 other hikers coming up, down or on the summit.
If you can drive to Kite Lake or part of the way, Lincoln, Democrat and Bross might share the honors as the easiest.

Last edited:
We also did Sherman, and while there is a long drive down a very rugged road, the trail head is over 12,000', so in that sense it is an easy peak. We also saw a lot of people that day, but many more on Torrey's and Grey's, which are close to Denver.

Speaking of Sherman, if you are serious about doing all the 14'ers, they have a '3000 foot rule', that would disqualify this trailhead. But a little reading on their board will convince you that they are quite divided on the matter.

Check http://14ers.com for details.

Last edited:
My first peaks will either be Greys and Torreys or Bierstadt and Evans via Sawtooth, and then Longs Peak. Sawtooth and Longs both have Class 3 scrambles and I was wondering what, if anything, in the Whites (maybe the saddle between Pamola Peak and Baxter Peak via Knife Edge) could be compared to these scrambles.
Greys and Torreys are a walkup but the high elevation or bad road may get you, and in July there may still be a cornice that you should go around unless you have snow gear. Longs is actually quite difficult with lots of elevation gain and the scrambling up high - think the worst parts of Katahdin knife edge or Huntington Ravine extended over a longer distance, thousands make it every year but a couple slip and die. Haven't done Sawtooth but it looks like a lot of scrambling, more like Mahoosuc Notch.

Backpacker magazine's definition of class may be helpful:

Class 1: Walking easily navigable trails
Class 2: Hiking cross-country across rough terrain, occasionally using hands for balance
Class 3: Scrambling steep terrain (roughly 35 degrees and higher), using hands for support
Class 4: Simple climbing (think ladder) with potentially significant exposure. A fall would result in serious injury or even death; many parties use a rope to belay the toughest sections.
Class 5: Technical rock climbing requiring a rope and safety hardware

So most of the Whites/New England is Class 1 and 2.

Grays/Torreys is a walkup, but if you're interested in a more exciting loop, you could ascend Torreys via Kelso Ridge (Class 3) and then take the classic route to Grays and down. The road to the trailhead is, indeed, pretty bad, but I made it up in my VW Golf a few years back.

Longs is a walkup as far as the Keyhole. If you don't like what you see after that point, probably wise to turn back. Would not want to be on the Homestretch in wet/icy conditions. Get a very early start for this one, both to beat any afternoon thunderstorms AND to assure a parking spot. Longs is very popular.

Other good 14ers to start with would be Quandary and/or any of the Sawatch Range. A couple of them are on the long side, but IIRC all are Class 1 and 2. Elevation aside, the highest peak, Mt. Elbert, is otherwise easy.

Have fun!

'Speaking of Sherman, if you are serious about doing all the 14'ers, they have a '3000 foot rule', that would disqualify this trailhead. But a little reading on their board will convince you that they are quite divided on the matter.'

Well aware of the rule and if so inclined people can park lower on the Kite road approach as well as for Sherman. With 7 full weeks of hiking in CO over various trips, there are so many 11k, 12k, 13k peaks in addition to the 14ers, I'll never spend the time on a cross country list. Besides, would never have the nerve for the Bells, Capitol, Little Bear-Blanca and a few others. Could have gone with a good friend recently when she finished the 14ers - but she is an accomplished rock and ice climber and didn't want to slow her up while short roping me over the abyss of her last route.

If you do the Sawtooth stay close to the ridgeline and stay focused on the easiest line as you climb, Longs is a long day, at the Keyhole make sure you can summit before storms roll in or you will be in for a rude awakening as the route is tricky if your a newbe on class 3. Same with the Sawtooth ridge. I would not do either if your not acclimated, you should a easier 14er to make sure your acclimated for those routes. You must be descending by noon on any 14er, for sure on Longs. By the way when you cross the Sawtooth you proboly will descend via the "Willows" and Gomers gully ( at least I would) have fun in the willows I got stuck in there before they are thick, but you can get through Id you stay close to the water running on your right. Start times as follows Longs 3.00am, Sawtooth 5.00am. Good peaks to acclimate on,according to quality imo as follows, Quandry, Yale, Huron, Greys and Torres. P.M. me if you need more info about anything, I spent 5 years there.

Thanks for all the responses. I read a trip report last night on the Sawtooth route (with video) and the guy said it was not smart of him to do it alone. More than likely I would be alone, unless some cares to join me. I have done quite a bit of hiking in RMNP and hiked the peaks of the Mummy Range. I will be staying in Estes Park with my in-laws and I can be at the Longs Trailhead in less than 20 minutes. Again, unless I find a partner I would probably tackle it alone, though will I ever truly be alone? I have no problems with Class 3 scrambling as I have done the Knife Edge on Kathadin and I also did a lot of off trail stuff in Glacier National Park when I lived out there.

My plans are fly in on Tuesday, hike Wednesday and Thursday around 12,000-13,000 feet, hit Greys and Torreys on Friday, hike Saturday and Sunday, Longs on Monday, rest on Tuesday, back to NH on Wednesday. My plans might change and do G/T on Thursday depending on how I feel on Wednesday. All weather dependent, of course.

Thanks again for the advice and if there is anything else let me know.

I guess this is more for others reading this thread who plan to come out, as you seem to have some experience with altitude... but for most, that many days of hiking in a row including some 14ers is a bit much to tackle, coming from sea level especially. Almost everyone gets kind of slow above 13K, even if you are acclimatized, and a rest day somewhere in between can help a lot.

Winter went late this year, but meltout is faster than usual (though it is snowing again today in RMNP). Mid-late July will probably be just fine, early July harder to say.

And as everyone says, get off the ridges before 1 PM and you'll have a good time.

Enjoy!

Yes, very early starts are a great idea so you're back down low when the fireworks begin in the afternoon. Those thunderheads in the distance look a long way off, but can be on you while you're still a long way above the tree line.

One thing that I always found to be of great help in acclimating is to sleep at the trailheads, which tend to be close to 10,000ft. This is a huge advantage as it allows your body to adjust while your sleeping ( or trying to sleep). One more thing I cant stress enough in regards to acclimating, drink as much water as you possibly can and bring some Advil for headaches which can be commen for new arrivals to elevation.

Before going soft and staying at vacation rentals, our altitude technique was to stay the first night at 5-7000'. First day or two - drive up and hike high at an easy pace, 10k or 11k.
Move the campsite 1k to 2k, hiking up high for progressively longer days at higher elevation, and move the campsite to higher elevation again. After about 5 days of hiking higher and sleeping higher we could hike more comfortably at 13-14k towards the end of the first week and then really hit the high elevation hikes the second week.
Lots of water, not much beer :( and good night's sleep all worked well.
Much harder to move your vacation rental without doing damage. :D

Before going soft and staying at vacation rentals, our altitude technique was to stay the first night at 5-7000'. First day or two - drive up and hike high at an easy pace, 10k or 11k.
Move the campsite 1k to 2k, hiking up high for progressively longer days at higher elevation, and move the campsite to higher elevation again. After about 5 days of hiking higher and sleeping higher we could hike more comfortably at 13-14k towards the end of the first week and then really hit the high elevation hikes the second week.
Lots of water, not much beer :( and good night's sleep all worked well.
Much harder to move your vacation rental without doing damage. :D
Lots of great info. We head out July 4th and will start our hike at Goldhill. We are going to stay close to the trailhead the first night and make it to Copper Mtn by early Sunday and get in and out with a resupply. It looks like we can really enjoy things and get acclimatized gradually as we are out there. We have been out hiking every weekend for the past 7 weeks and will try to do Washington the weekend before we leave as to do whatever we can to help ourselves in the adjustment period when we get there. Making sure we stay hydrated as well. This thread has been helpful thank ya'll

Grays and Torreys are a good place to start the 14er quest, since they are class 1 and *relatively* easy. To spice it up, you can take Kelso Ridge up to Torreys. (I think Gerry Roach puts it as class 3 with a few class 4 moves; I didn't think it got to class 4, but there is one hairy section for the acrophobes.)

Longs Peak is a long death march. Up to the Keyhole is easy, but beyond is a series of ledges and scrambles that require your attention at all times. Only do this in a really good weather window. Usually we started this hike at 2 or 3 am, hitting the Keyhole at sunrise or so.

The Sawteeth scramble between Bierstadt and Evans is wonderful, but not straightforward or easy. Roach's book was helpful, but the routefinding was still a bit tricky. (I also did it early in the summer when there was still significant snow.) From Bierstadt, stay on the right/south side of the ridge, and there is a keyhole/gap/notch in the ridge that you pass through the to the left/north side. You'll be greeted by a long drop down the north side, but there is a series of ledges and ramps that takes you safely to Evans.
I believe it is Spaulding peak (unofficial 13er/Centennial peak) that is worth checking out between Evans and the trailhead, before you drop into the infamous Bierstadt Willows (or, the Dead Marshes). Unless you're nine feet tall, the willows kinda suck. I think staying as right as possible helps, more toward the evergreens, but I've never made it through unscathed.

Thanks for all the responses. I read a trip report last night on the Sawtooth route (with video) and the guy said it was not smart of him to do it alone. More than likely I would be alone, unless some cares to join me. I have done quite a bit of hiking in RMNP and hiked the peaks of the Mummy Range. I will be staying in Estes Park with my in-laws and I can be at the Longs Trailhead in less than 20 minutes. Again, unless I find a partner I would probably tackle it alone, though will I ever truly be alone? I have no problems with Class 3 scrambling as I have done the Knife Edge on Kathadin and I also did a lot of off trail stuff in Glacier National Park when I lived out there.

My plans are fly in on Tuesday, hike Wednesday and Thursday around 12,000-13,000 feet, hit Greys and Torreys on Friday, hike Saturday and Sunday, Longs on Monday, rest on Tuesday, back to NH on Wednesday. My plans might change and do G/T on Thursday depending on how I feel on Wednesday. All weather dependent, of course.

Thanks again for the advice and if there is anything else let me know.

My opinion is that the Knife edge is not class 3 and is way easier then Longs and way way easier then the Sawtooth. FYI there is good camping at the trailhead for GT, I sleep in my truck but there is plenty of room for small tents. Just make sure you hang or canister your food.

I am sure Longs and the Sawtooth are more difficult than the Knife Edge. I was only talking about that one section coming off of Pamola. Other than that the Knife Edge doesn't have much too it. I think I am going to stick with Greys and Torreys for one day and then Longs the other day.

I will be staying with my family in Estes Park so I will get up early and drive to Greys Trailhead. It is only 2.5 hours, which isn't much. I also plan on hiking Tuesday when I get into Estes Park. Lily Mountain is a nice peak that tops out at 9800 ft. I haven't had any problems with altitude any time I have been out there so I am hoping that stays true. Wednesday I am going to hike Hallet Peak (12,700 ft) and hopefully that will give me a good barometer for Greys and Torreys. I know they are 2000 ft higher. In between Greys and Longs I will do some family hiking to Emerald Lake and possibly The Loch and Sky Pond.

Again I was just looking for a good example of the scrambling I can expect on Longs. If any experienced, stressing experienced, hikers want to make the trip out and join me feel free. My in-laws own a nice rental place in Estes Park that sleeps six.

Greg you might find the time that Google Maps indicates for the last few miles to T/G is vastly understated. While it is listed as a County Highway, it is more like a backcountry road.

I am sure Longs and the Sawtooth are more difficult than the Knife Edge. I was only talking about that one section coming off of Pamola. Other than that the Knife Edge doesn't have much too it. I think I am going to stick with Greys and Torreys for one day and then Longs the other day.

I will be staying with my family in Estes Park so I will get up early and drive to Greys Trailhead. It is only 2.5 hours, which isn't much. I also plan on hiking Tuesday when I get into Estes Park. Lily Mountain is a nice peak that tops out at 9800 ft. I haven't had any problems with altitude any time I have been out there so I am hoping that stays true. Wednesday I am going to hike Hallet Peak (12,700 ft) and hopefully that will give me a good barometer for Greys and Torreys. I know they are 2000 ft higher. In between Greys and Longs I will do some family hiking to Emerald Lake and possibly The Loch and Sky Pond.

Again I was just looking for a good example of the scrambling I can expect on Longs. If any experienced, stressing experienced, hikers want to make the trip out and join me feel free. My in-laws own a nice rental place in Estes Park that sleeps six.

Sounds like a great plan. I think the chimney at the Pamola end of the KE is class 3 and the rest is exposed class 2. But arguments about this are as common out West as arguments about dogs on trails back East. :) :)

A good example of Longs would be the Hunnington ravine trail, I would rate that easy 3, because you do need to climb with your hands and use handholds. I do not think Longs is hard, a little exposed on the Narrows but the climbing is very straightforward. Now if your above the Keyhole and a storm comes in, it could be quite necky, but the route is very well marked with red bulls eyes and you would be hard pressed to lose your way. To me the biggest issue on Longs above the Keyhole is people, if your trying to beat a storm and there is alot of gripped and over their head hikers in your way, that could be an issue. Leave early. If I was with you, I would suggest we summit by 9.am, 10am at the latest.

Last edited: