Columbus Day Week Hiking in the rain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy V

Reaction score
My wife and I will be hiking in the high peaks area Columbus day week and as you can see from the forcast it looks like rain for a lot of the week. Will be doing mostly day hikes. Any suggestions as to where we could hike? We have done a lot of hikes up there in the Lake Placid/Keen Valley area. We were to do Noonmark and another as to be named hike but with this rain can anyone suggest something that is "rain friendly"? Sounds like a silly question doesn't it!:)
We will do Santonini to the camp if it is raining but we are looking for something that would be a good hike in the woods even though it is raining.
Really appreciate any help you can give us.

Thanks
Billy V

I always leave the Colvin (Blake), Nippletop, Dial Sawteeth area as great high peak hikes for rainy days. There is no major stream crossing yet plenty of waterfalls and the Gill brook to look at during the day. I put Blake in () because although I add it the trail over is pretty rooty, muddy at times. If you like a shorter hike Indian head falls in the same category. A very nice just enjoy a rainy day without being out to long hike is Indian head with a trip to the lower lake bridge and then going over to Rainbow falls.

I always leave the Colvin (Blake), Nippletop, Dial Sawteeth area as great high peak hikes for rainy days. There is no major stream crossing yet plenty of waterfalls and the Gill brook to look at during the day. I put Blake in () because although I add it the trail over is pretty rooty, muddy at times. If you like a shorter hike Indian head falls in the same category. A very nice just enjoy a rainy day without being out to long hike is Indian head with a trip to the lower lake bridge and then going over to Rainbow falls.

Cold River ,
Thanks for your help. We have done Colvin, Indian Head Falls in January several years ago, May try to do it on Tuesday. Monday we will do a little Hike called Balm of Gilhead on our way up to Lake PLacid, Tuesday If it is raining will do Indian Head and Wednesday if it is raining we will walk into Santonini Camp.That is about 10 miles round trip in the rain! Or if Wednesday is Dry enough we willl do Noonmark.
We appreciate your help and suggestions.;)
Billy V