Concord/Assabet River Paddle

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
Steve-O and I had been trying to get out for an evening paddle for a few weeks, and we finally got our schedules aligned to head out last night. Fitz showed up a few minutes afte I did, and MichaelJ came by in full "Tour de Concord" cycle gear to say hello. Steve-O arrived shortly after, and we knew that KayakDan and his wife Linda needed little coaxing to get their sea kayaks wet. We had planned to meet at 6:00, and finally Fitz, Steve-O and I headed upstream at 6:30. Had we waited a few more minutes, we would have met Dan and Linda :eek: .

We paddled up with Fitz who is well acquainted with this section of water. It was a beautiful night, and as long as we stayed on the water, the skeeters had trouble finding us (rest stops were not a good idea!). We decided on the Assabet since it would be too low later in the season, and it was a beautiful paddle. I was a bit concerned about my shoulder acting up, but it seems that paddling is one thing that doesn't bother it. Fitz was paddling a beautiful wood laid canoe that he had restored (a Chesapeake?) and it was obvious that he's spent a few hours in a canoe. It's a peaceful sight to watch a skilled solo canoeist smoothly moving through the water. Steve-O and I kept the chatter going, which helped mask our not so smooth techniques :rolleyes: . We didn't see a lot of wildlife, but did get closer to a turkey vulture than I've ever been, probably 40 feet. Nice!

We paddled up just shy of Rt 2, and then turned, enjoying the current that moved us a lot faster than I expected. Having some extra time, we decided to head down toward the Minuteman Monument, and immediately ran into Dan and Linda. They had followed us up the Assabet, but not seeing us, had headed downstream. We paddled down to the head of the Great Swamp, and could glimpse the full moon through the trees. After about a mile, we decided to return. I certainly envied Dan and Linda's composite kayaks seemingly motoring upstream as I needed to keep a steady paddle to keep up. We got back around 9:00 and had a cold beer on shore before heading home. I know the skeeters appreciated the feast that we provided them!

Overall, we paddled about 7.5 miles in a warm windless evening. We were the only paddlers on the river, and only saw a few fishermen near the put-in. Can't think of a better way to spend a weekday evening. We're hoping to make this a monthly event, timing it near the full moon. A great way to melt away the rigors of the real world.

Sounds like a fun time, I should get my kayak out of the garage more. Let me know when the July trip might be.

Paddle

Gee, I just found this trip report.

Yah, it was a great time on the water. Although, if my wooden canoe nut friends find out I'm moonlighting with a bunch of Darksiders there could be issues!! I also started to wonder when the Buzzards started showing up in the trees watching us!! :eek:

My boat is a Chestnut Canoe Company, wood and canvas, 17 foot Prospector - Legendary working canoe of the North. They operated out of New Brunswick and competed with Old Town. These old canoes are great fun to restore and paddle. Someone said somewhere: "Nothing - absolutely nothing- paddles like wood and canvas". There's a photo of "Sweetness" attached.

f3ceb993.jpg

Cheers. I'll watch for word of the next gathering.

Fitz

Glad to hear you have been getting together for some paddling.
It would be fun to catch up with you down there it's a real pretty area.
My wife and I went out for the full moon paddle and it clouded over up here.
See we shoulda been with you folks....