Coreys Road advisory

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teejay

Reaction score
The Beautiful Finger Lakes; Avatar: 4 Hrs. up, 4
On my last visit in to Coreys Road, many of the sites were occupied by semi-permanent looking structures that obviously weren't the typical tent camper's. I stopped at the first one, on the left, just over the bridge, and chatted with the very friendly, hospitable people there (three couples). It turns out they are hunters and DEC allows them to put up their hunting camps for an extended period, with a special permit.

Had a lot of good conversation with them, and, as they were leaving for the rest of the week, they generously offered to let me use their camp. I took them up on it and had a great night's sleep.

This may have been mentioned before, but just wanted to call to your attention that there are fewer available sites along the road.

I took a short walk with the three guys to the nearby lean-to, Stony Creek. It's just a few minute's walk from the horse assembly area near the gate. Nice site with a large tenting area nearby.

teejay

Thanks TJ. I'm starting to see that more and more in roadside camping areas, along the back roads in the Adirondacks.

On another note, heard anything about the road closure for winter? Might be too early to tell.

Corey closure

Please keep us informed regarding the closure of the road. I need to get the Sewards for the winter 46.

I plan on doing them the first weekend of winter hiking.

If you hear the road is close let us know.

This discussion is about 2 months early. Coreys Road closure varies quite a bit, but I wouldn't expect the gate to be open much after Dec. 21, if it makes it that long. Regardless, it's a long way from the bridge back to the summer trailhead, and I wouldn't want to have a car back there if it snows. Trust me - I know. :rolleyes: I still need Seward, Seymour, and 13 others for my "w", but I'll camp back there for a couple nights when I do those two winter peaks.

1st weekend in winter is definately on my agenda for the Sewards. Lets just keep our fingers crossed that is makes it that long. If not I guess I'll pull a slide and camp for the weekend.

Sewards

Well Peakbagger and Bob, if you don't mind I would like to join you for the first weekend in winter. I also need those peaks for the winter 46.

:)

When I was in there a couple of weeks ago There was a sign before the gate that said Snowplow turn around about a mile before the gate, If that that is the case you can tack another mile on your winter hike.

About that snowplow turnaround - I drove back there last winter and couldn't figure out where we are supposed to park. The turnaround is marked "no parking", and I didn't see any designated parking area for us poor hikers.

ALGonquin Bob said:
About that snowplow turnaround - I drove back there last winter and couldn't figure out where we are supposed to park. The turnaround is marked "no parking", and I didn't see any designated parking area for us poor hikers.

The designated parking is on the right side on the road immediately before the snowplow turnaround. There's a brown DEC sign nailed to a tree that says "Parking". They want you to parallel park on the shoulder. The sign indicates the road is officially lcosed from Dec 10-May 1.

And a number of the campsites were filled with hunting tents this weekend. There was alot of scouting going on too.