cotton kills? What to wear backpacking in the summer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbjette

Reaction score
What do you wear while hiking/backpacking in the spring/summer?
I hear/read that i should avoid cotton, please give me some examples of outfits that are suitable for backpacking in warm weather, and where I can purcase these items.

underwear/socks/shirt/shorts/pants/outer layer.

Thanks,

Kevin

Cotton does not kill. Wet cotton in below freezing temperatures kills.

A summer day in the 80's? I'm wearing a cotton T-shirt. It may get clammy, but every little breeze that floats by hits that wet shirt and I swear your skin temperature drops about 30 degrees. At night I have a cotton shirt (if it's warm and dry) and a polypro shirt to change into.

Socks. I wear the same socks year round, wool/polypro blend. My boots have been broken in wearing a certain sock combo, and I always wear the same.

Shorts...doesn't really matter to me, but they generally are polyester.

Any of these items can be purchased at any hiking related store...EMS, REI, MountainGear, Campmor, etc.

Last edited:
I wear cotton, it works as a natural air conditioner. Socks are polypro in the summer. I've tried micro-fleece and synthetics in summer but they're uncomfortable for me.

Try Coolmax

I always wear a Coolmax running shirt in the summer. Warmer when soaked, dries quicker, washes out in a nearby stream quickly, etc. Often when I get to my camp after a hot sweaty day, I'll rinse the shirt, put on my camp shirt, and by night time the Coolmax will be dry. Even if it isn't dry overnight (as when it's raining or very humid) and is still damp in the morning, I can put it on damp when I start hiking and it will be dry and warm in 20-30 minutes. Couldn't do that with cotton.

Compared to Coolmax, I find cotton very clamy when sweaty or when rained on . If you are a runner you would likely wear coolmax. Try it hiking too.

Pb

Since I'm already a cyclist, I'll wear plain colored cycling jerseys in the summer with sometimes a coolmax liner shirt underneath. The rear pocket is handy too when fastpacking or when not using a backpack.

Jay

I cannot recall how many cotton shirts I have worn out over the years wearing them backpacking in the summer. In fact, I believe the whole cotton kills mantra only recently started in the early 90's or so.

I have found that cotton-poly blend shirts work great for summer - the best of both worlds - more comfort, less smell than polypro and still dries a bit quicker than cotton. The cotton/poly t-shirts are pretty easy to come by as well.

For shorts, I usually wear just a cheap pair of nylon Columbia brand workout shorts (I think they are called river shorts).

Many old timers wear blue work pants that are cotton poly blend (like a garage mechanic would wear). They are cheap, dry quickly and are pretty comfortable as well.

I am re-editing this, I should be more clear - I've worn cotton for quite a while now in June, July, August or September - the periods when it can be sweltering hot. Of course, I keep my eye on the weather for the day - -If it is going to be changeable or wet, or I am in the High Peaks, I'll wear my polypro and whatnot. For backpacking trips, I now longer wear cotton, as it is just too heavy to carry around, and as mentioned, it is hard to dry.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Last edited:
I like to wear poly-pro shirts in the summer. I used to wear cotton, but it saturates too quickly, and dries too slowly, which means you have to carry extra weight. Polypro shirts are much lighter as well, which means less on your back.

I wear a bathing suit with the mesh cut out for bottoms. I got rid of undies a couple of years ago, and cannot go back (at least for hiking). Another alternative is silk underwear, but not as good. Great thing about wearing your bathing suit hiking is that you can jump in a stream at a moments notice, and it dries quickly.

As for the stink... well that's what streams are for.

Polypro shirts, silk boxers and bathing suits are inexpensive Wallmart Items. Walmart sells Starter brand shirts that are less than $10.

Oh, and I wear light hiking merino wool socks.

Gosh I love summer hiking! :)

-percious

I don't personally know of anybody who's been killed by cotton, but I don't think it has to be as cold as below-freezing to get into trouble with wet cotton clothing.

Out of personal preference, in all seasons, I go with any one of a number of synthetics that do a good job of wicking and quick-drying. I just don't like the somewhat clammy feel of cotton in even slightly damp weather - like a humid summer day. I carry spares, so if the aroma doesn't either dry or wash out in a stream, I can wear fresh stuff so I won't hear the birds gagging.

For socks, also in all seasons, I use polypro liners and thick wool. It's a combination that's worked for me for a couple of decades.

Oh yeah - I sweat a lot. Sorry.

Coolmax

Let me second Coolmax. If you are someone that sweats alot, then cotton is not all that practical during the summer. The coolmax dries so so so much quicker and doesnt seem to weigh near as much when its wet.

dug said:
Cotton does not kill. Wet cotton in below freezing temperatures kills.
I'm not sure the temps need be below freezing. Certainly hypothermia is very possible wearing wear cotton in the wind with temps in the fifties. Perhaps even more possible, as people are aware of the dangers of hypothermia when it is very cold, but could perhaps be caught unaware on a day that starts out sunny at the trailhead, but turns rainy and windy above treeline.

Genrally, though, I agree with you. In cold weather it's more likely to be deadly rather than merely uncomfortable.

Maybe the difference is one of degree (pun intended).

Frosty

Summer Clothing

The best thing about summer clothing is that there's less of it.! Here's some of what I've found works best for me:
socks: I always wear liners; winter or summer. In the summer I go for a Cool-max type that's light & keeps my feet dry & cool (also helps with chaffing/ blisters) Then over that I wear a good pr of light weight hiking socks.
Tops: I go for polyester/driclime type materials. Same stuff biking gear is made of so you can dual purpose here. It's much better at wicking moisture away from your body & dries faster; besides being light weight. Cotton just gets too damp and stays that way. I'd have to honestly advise staying away from 100% cotton on top.
Bottoms: Here I think you can wear pretty much anything - except for jeans of course. Early season I'll wear zip off pants & once it's warm out all day, I'll switch to shorts. Some of the good quality hiking/sport clothing is more water resistant which is nice but pretty much what you are comfortable in - for bottoms anyway - will probably work.
Misc: I always carry extra clothing whether to pare up or down. It just never hurts to be prepared & I'd rather have it & not use it; then not have it and be miserable. This includes:
1. Jacket:
a. (if rain is a possibility) a packable waterproof jacket
b. or a windstopper or other type of windbreaker jacket
2. warmer top
3. hat
4. packable waterproof pants
Underwear: Saved this for last because we could open a whole new thread on who does/does not go commando! :D

Pretty good advice....

So far....

Many good points about cotton so far. Myself, I sweat alot, so I prefer non-cotton top and shorts, mostly because it dries quicker and wet cotton is just plain heavy, nasty and takes forever to dry.

Not so much that it will kill you, but in summer, you will often be pretty darn uncomfortable on a breezy, cloudy summit if your in wet stuff (of any material), so I ALWAYS bring extra clothes and fleece pullover, for just such occasions. I can always switch back (or not) once I start moving again.

Oh yeah, non-cotton undies are an absoulute must if your a heavy sweater. I have no idea how I even hiked before I started using then 2 years ago. socks too.

Papa (among others) makes a good point. I tend to use alot of my summer running gear for hiking (tops anyway). Regular shorts or polypro pants down south.

Coolmax or similar

I agree with Papa Bear and others. Cotton is very comfortable until you start sweating. Coolmax and other moisture wicking materials are great for keeping you drier and more comfortable no matter what the season. I have socks, underwear, t-shirts and shorts that are synthetics and they perform well. A good hat or bandana will help keep the sun off you head and neck as well. I like to dip mine in a cool stream occasionally.

I hike in cotton all the time. Underwear, shorts, t-shirts. I don't hike in jeans, not because I don't believe in it. But because I find the uncomfortable.

Maybe Bushwacker could join in with some funny stories about jeans.

Actually cotton can kill in temps well above freezing. According to the US Army Quartermaster Corps study, wet cotton wicks away body heat about 240% quicker(not positive about the percentage) than bare skin. In very cold temps, wet cotton is deadly but folks in the know expect it and are usually careful.
Its the cool, damp temps in the high 30's to 50's, when its wet, humid, breezy or a combination that you must also look out for. I feel this is where hikers need to be most alert.
For Summer, Spring and early Autumn, I will often wear shorts if its not too cold, breezy or damp. Carry zip on pants and extra synthetic clothing. Many hikers find bare legs warmer than wet cotton and since the legs generate so much of their own heat thru exercise, they are the slowest muscles.
In all but very cold and wet conditions, I wear 100% synthetic shorts or long pants.

shorts...

A lot of people already gave ideas for tops.

I wear nylon soccer shorts for summer (warm months) hiking. The ones that I would never wear out of the woods because of how short they are.

I like them because they keep my nether-region nice and cool! It's almost like hiking naked! To be honest on some steps where you have to step up high (or low) your package sometimes falls out. It's not intential, but just beware! And yes this means I hike with out undies!

I always have spare pars for blow outs and I also carry warmer clothing. Polypro shorts and tight hiking pants (poly) to go under shorts if temps drop.

I once hiked in a light-wieght kilt (or skirt). This guy that I worked with at the AMC said to try it out. I loved it with the breeze to cool the guys, but it made me uncomortable around other, always having to answer questions about "why?".

I never wear cotton any more unless it's for the evening meal at the Loj. Yeah, it's more comfortable if it stays dry. What are the chances you might sweat on a hike?

A soaking wet cotton shirt will cool you off in warm weather no better than the same amount of sweat in a synthetic shirt. Evaporation directly off the skin is more effective - that's why we sweat, after all.

The thing I hated most about cotton is that it never dried out in the woods once wet. My poly shirts, shorts, etc. are usually dry by the time I finish setting up camp.

Yeah, synthetic stinks more, but shop around. Some fabrics will perform better in the olfactory dept. than others.

Hind Hydrator t-shirt
EMS nylon convertible pants
Smartwool running socks
Long sleeved polypropylene shirt

I keep a clean set of clothes (all cotton) in the car. There's nothing like putting on some clean cotton after a sponge bath in the Garden parking lot. Very rewarding...

Rick said:
In fact, I believe the whole cotton kills mantra only recently started in the early 90's or so.
Peter Fish has been saying that since at least the '70s :)

Many old timers wear blue work pants that are cotton poly blend (like a garage mechanic would wear). They are cheap, dry quickly and are pretty comfortable as well.
I remember the first time I saw an "old timer" wearing a "garage mechanic" shirt and pants, back when everybody else wore T-shirts and jeans. I learned his name was Daniel Doan.

I used to wear shirts and pants that were too ratty to wear to work, i.e. dress shirts and chinos, which made rangers and others think I was a neophyte. Now I tend to wear acrylic shirts because they provide more thickness against pack straps and dry more quickly.