Couchsachraga, Santanoni, Panther...Another Hiker Humbled

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
JayH, mcorsar and I met Friday evening at the Harris Lake Campground on a very crowded site. Between our 3 tents, 3 cars, and 1 screenhouse it seemed more like the parking lot at a Dead show and we had to be careful not to fall on top of anything! Mcorsar played some cool tunes :cool: while a camper somewhere in the park practiced "London Bridge" on some woodwind instrument! We went to bed early for an early start. Up before dawn, quick bagels and at the Upper Works parking area by 6:00. There was a surprisingly large number of hikers there, mostly folks hiking with the Albany chapter of ADK. The walk up the Santanoni Club road was quick and easy. Then the Bradley Pond Trail started out nice with soft, easy terrain but quickly turned muddy. Lots of log-root-rock hopping to try to avoid the muck. But even at the worst of it, you always had a reasonable option to step on that would keep you from sinking too far. The turn for the herd path just before Bradley Pond Lean-to was clearly marked by a cairn on top of a large boulder. The path up through and alongside Panther Brook entailed a lot of rock hopping but nothing too bad. We were making good time and I started to question all the nightmare stories I'd heard about this hike. I thought "what's all the fuss about? This is no problem." Well, as the mountains have a way of doing, I was soon to be humbled.

At Times Square, we ran into a very friendly hiker who chatted with us about our recent Rainier trip (How'd he know about that? Did you fill him in Matt??) and he told us that he had just done Granite and Gannett!! He was waiting for his girlfriend to catch up who was just about to complete on Panther. We then shoved off for Couchsachraga- joking about having to descend to a summit! The brush was thick and scratched the heck out of exposed skin but the path was otherwise in great shape. Even the swamp below the summit, while wide, deep, and smelly, was crossable without too much difficulty. The ADK was on their way down as we ascended. Good thing, there isn't room on top for that many folks! A short break on the summit while mcorsar identified the peaks around us and off we went. About halfway back to Times Square there's a section of the path that opens up with a fantastic view of the Seward Range. We stopped there for a well-deserved lunch. On the trek back to Times Square I started to get "what all the fuss was about" as we fought the brush and continued climbing. At Times Square some of the ADK group who only needed Couchie, were waiting for the rest of the group to return from Santanoni. After a brief moment of envy, on I went. JayH and mcorsar quickly passed me by and put distance between us as I started to get chewed up by the hike. Lots of interesting and fun scrambles led to false summits and at the bottom of one of those I ran into a guy who said "Hey Terri, good job, hang in there, you're almost there!" JayH and mcorsar had sent me encouragement via a descending hiker (who we would later meet coming back up Santa :confused: He had managed to get turned around somehow...was he ticked!!). It was just what I needed and I blasted (OK, maybe not blasted but at least I wasn't crawling :) ) up to the summit. We tagged the top and then retreated to the false summit just before the true one to enjoy an amzing view :D . We were all impressed. But the clock was ticking so off we went to Times Square AGAIN. We decided it wasn't making the summits that was tough on this hike, but the multiple climbs to Times Square!!

Back at TS, a small group of hikers who were also humbled by the hike, were getting some R&R. The walk up Panther was was quick with a great scramble up some slabby stuff. We took a short break and then started the slog out. At Panther Brook I filtered some water, having consumed the 3 liters I started out with, and mcorsar cleaned up a liter for himself. JayH didn't need any stating "I didn't even work up a sweat today." Is he human :confused: :D The Bradley Pond trail seemed even drier on the way out. Maybe the ADK group soaked it up in their boots? Once down, the priorities were ice-cream and showers, in that order.

All in all, a long day and fairly demanding (but very interesting) hike. I think the trail conditions were excellent compared to all the stories I've heard and trip reports I've read. Thanks Jay and Matt for another great hike!

Excellent TR, Terri. I have no idea how that Canadian guy knew about your Rainer trip-you two met him first since I was bringing up the rear at that point after stopping for water on Panther Brook. Returning to TS was definitely the toughest part of this hike for me-man I love that place! ;)
Anyhow, great hiking and hangin' w/ you both! Did you ask about availability at Lake Harris next weekend? Not that I'm thinking about heading back up again, mind you... ;)

Matt

P.S. Jay is definitely not human-he does occasionally take some pretty good pictures though...

One of the "ADK hikers"

Hey what a great day for a walk in the woods. I was one of the ADKers who you guys ran into again and again on Saturday. I thought I recognized Matt from his Avatar but he looked so much younger in person than the picture that I thought it was coincidence. It was my first hike with the ADK and was I surprised to find out there were 13 people signed up. Despite my skepticism about the size of the group the hike turned out great. The folks were all solid hikers and quite friendly and personable. We certainly lucked out on the conditions. I think the dry weather really tamed this hike quite a bit and made the trip out and back to Couch bareable. Even the swamp wasn't too swampie. A number of us were very focused on making all three peaks, as was our trip leader. Those who weren't were content to hang out at times square and direct traffic and soak up some rays. Next time I run in to you on the trail I'll be sure to do the secret VFTT sign (whatever that is). Nice trail report.

Mike

P.S. - Did that road seem twice as long on the way out as on the way in to anyone else?

Hey skidoc22,

Which hiker were you? Certainly gives us yet another reason to settle on that special VFTT sign...

Forget the road getting longer, I was convinced Times Square kept moving further away and further UP!

Congrats buffalogal on your 46! What a way to complete...

I'm the guy in the picture

Well I guess it was time to change that old avatar anyway. I was getting sick of the cairn on the previous one. That's what I looked like on that fine August afternoon complete with trail dirt, Camelbak, etc. Often seen hiking with my 10 yo son, but he wasn't up for this one after Redfield and Allen on Monday and Tuesday. So as Ahhnold said, "I'll be back!"

I can only guess the dude from Montreal (I wonder if he knows HarryK- on a related note, does anybody from "montreal" doesn't know Harry?) knew that at least one of us climbed Rainier was my sticker on my car. He must of saw that, saw us with the car and then ran into us at the little junction before Times Square.

None of us have their rainier patch on our packs but I have a sticker on my car.

I had to assemble a futon last night so I didn't get a chance to upload my pictures but perhaps tonight?

Jay

P.S. to Skidoc22:

"Alligator Egg! :D

Jay

Last edited:
I agree with Buffalogal and TMax, like the range and the group shots.

I just wished I remembered to bring the couch to Couchsachraga... darn!

Jay