cougars returning to northern NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NEWJEEP,
Excellent article and recommendations for what to do if attacked or confronted by a lion. I am absolutely convinced that they are here in the Northeast. There have been too many "reliable" sitings by knowledgeable people. There is an enormous difference between a bobcat, a lion and a golden retriever.
There is an excellent book out if you are interested "The Beast in the Garden".
You'll want to stay up at night reading it and you will gain much knowledge about people living in denial, lions and behaviors.

Maddy said:
NEWJEEP,
Excellent article and recommendations for what to do if attacked or confronted by a lion. I am absolutely convinced that they are here in the Northeast. There have been too many "reliable" sitings by knowledgeable people. There is an enormous difference between a bobcat, a lion and a golden retriever.
There is an excellent book out if you are interested "The Beast in the Garden".
You'll want to stay up at night reading it and you will gain much knowledge about people living in denial, lions and behaviors.
Maddy that is a good one, the only time I might mistake a Loin if I saw one for a big Golden would be if I did not have my glasses on ., being near sighted. . It is also hard ard to mistake a loin 's paw print for any thing but what it is unless the print is a few days old. .
They are very stealthy . I hike out west a lot and I have seen paw prints not far from where i was either camped or even just sitting .I did see one at a good distance , I tried to get closer to take what would have beren a incredible photo the cougar lept up and vanished as soon as it saw me move towards it . They are also very wary creatures.
From what I understand the hiker or jogger in a way imitates their favorite prey deer. They do prefer to attack from behind and go for the prey's throat to kill it quickly as they almost always hunt alone and are sometimes smaller than their prey. A wildlife biologist has told me they will take a black bear on rare occasion ! Thats one tough cat!

yesterday I was bushwacking on the backside of Pikes Peak and I was following a game path, that was covered in Cougar tracks, I was amazed at the size of the print and to be honest, they felt fresh and I was a little concerned. I changed my direction as to not infringe upon the cougar's terretory. :eek: