Coyote Encounter on Day Hike ??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed it is true they can and will pack up. If it becomes painfuly clear to them that their survival means taking down full grown healthy animals like deer they will pack up and hunt as one. But they tend to be lonsome animals (or at the very least they stay with their mate and pups) under normal circumstances. As a matter of fact when they ARE birthing and nursing they become VERY aggressive about their trrotiry and will defend it to the death from other coyotes. But for the most part pack behavior tends to be on the rare side.
Brian

At about 3 a.m. in the dead dread cold of winter i saw a HUGE coyote cross Rt. 302 in the vicinity of Zealand road about three winters ago, at least 60 lbs... :eek:

Coyote or coy-dog, either way sounds like a scary experience. I live in an area where I hear coyotes nearly every night but I've never experienced anything close to the situation you describe. Although I've heard of coyote sightings in the Whites, I have never seen or heard one there. I don't know if the difference could be attributable to dog breeds. I've owned livestock guardian dogs (Great Pyrenees and Kuvaszok), both of which are bred to guard livestock against predators like coyotes.

Without having been there, I would second staying close to your dog, and putting on a dominant/aggressive display toward the coyote, while also keeping a close eye for flanking maneuvers in case others are present.

As for a coyote bitch in season - my last Pyr was an intact male. Our first few years living here we'd find a coyote bitch, presumably in season, lurking in our back yard for a couple of weeks every fall. Can't say whether her motive was to lure him to a pack, or merely to breed.

It's true they are not always solitary. Last fall I listened to a pack of coyotes hunting what I believe was a deer and fawn. I've also seen them acting as a pack to get to a sheep flock.

I had a large, and obviously healthy coyote run past me, midmorning, about 5' away, on the trail of a wounded deer someone else had shot.
Out running near my home another time. Large coyote ran right across the road near me, about 4pm.
They don't need to be sick to be out in daylight.

On the theme of wild dogs...

Has anyone ever had a fox act in a threatening manner toward them or their pet?

Last October we climbed Washington and after coming down the Jewell trail to the parking lot (it was dusk) we saw a pair of foxes. They were obviously looking for handouts and weren't too afraid to get close to humans. They would slowly take a step or two toward a person or group and when they clapped or shouted or stamped their feet, the fox would retreat a little but, wouldn't leave the lot. While nothing happened, I would have been nervous if we had had our dog with us.

Double Bow said:

Last October we climbed Washington and after coming down the Jewell trail to the parking lot (it was dusk) we saw a pair of foxes. They were obviously looking for handouts and weren't too afraid to get close to humans. They would slowly take a step or two toward a person or group and when they clapped or shouted or stamped their feet, the fox would retreat a little but, wouldn't leave the lot. While nothing happened, I would have been nervous if we had had our dog with us.
Ross - Tuco, Artex, Abster and me saw a single coyote in the same parking lot area on Saturday. He did not look rabid or anything, but he was certainly looking for handouts.

Double Bow said:

Yes, I think they were accustomed to receiving handouts. :(
This is common around the huts and the Base Station.....Oh look at the cute little foxes.....they look hungry.....

I seriously doubt that a coyote, a fox or even a pair of foxes would choose to tangle with an adult or a medium/large breed dog. (unless it was rabid, injured, or cornered)

Hmmm -- there's also a fox that hangs out looking for handouts at the Rocky Branch trailhead on Jerich Road. Looks well-fed. :(

I've also seen many, many healthy-looking coyotes during daylight hours.

JJHikes said:
Hmmm -- there's also a fox that hangs out looking for handouts at the Rocky Branch trailhead on Jerich Road. Looks well-fed.

Your kidding. I go there all the time and have never seen him.

Keith

Nope, not kidding. We were there 2 1/2 weeks ago (I think -- maybe it was 1 1/2 weeks? the weekends are blending together...), and he/she WOULD NOT LEAVE. There was another couple there (not feeding him -- yelling at him/her to go away as he was blocking the way to their vehicle). They reported that he had been there the weekend before, too.

It wasn't acting at all unhealthy, just very tame.

I saw a fox last winter at night at Zealand Hut. S/he was pretty close to me, but definitely timid. I was still so I could watch it. Very cute, looking for a hand-out. Got none from me.

Recently saw a coyote in the middle of the road at night on the Kanc, right before the hairpin turn. It was snacking on some road kill. We drove up very close to it and it DID NOT BUDGE. Guessing it was hungry. So we stopped the car about 10 feet away and waited for the coyote to grab the road kill and head off, which it did.

My cousin encountered a rabid fox while hiking in AZ. There was no mistaking that something was seriously wrong--I believe it charged them. He husband ended up killing it (with his hiking stick and his feet, I believe) and they hiked out the body so they could report it to fish and game.

Personally, I don't worry about any animals in the Whites (but take precautions when backpacking, of course). While I can certainly understand your unease with being followed, I doubt it will happen again.

Seeker said:
My cousin encountered a rabid fox while hiking in AZ. There was no mistaking that something was seriously wrong--I believe it charged them. He husband ended up killing it (with his hiking stick and his feet, I believe) and they hiked out the body so they could report it to fish and game.

WOW!!! Now that's a story!

Yeah. They were hiking with their young daughter--my cousin had her in a backpack, so her husband went into "protect my family" mode without even thinking. He was surprised at himself by how quickly and fatally he reacted to the sick fox.

Temp help...

Bought some Pepper Spray yesterday in a small clip-on that'll fit right on my belt for quick access, if needed. Maybe I'm just reassuring myself. The clerk said make sure I spray downwind or...good luck! :) Saw some bear repellent/spray but it looked HUGE, was $35 and sprayed 25 feet. Maybe overkill...Hope I never see another coyote in stalking mode when my dog is present..

Just an FYI if travelling through Massachusetts:

From http://www.mass.gov

"Pepper spray, Mace® and similar less-than-lethal chemical agents are restricted under Massachusetts law and a person must have a Firearms Identification Card to purchase, possess and carry such items."

..also added...

"Based on past events, it is unlikely that persons in Massachusetts should routinely carry pepper spray as a bear defense. Pepper spray should not be used in strong winds, rain, very cold weather, or in dense vegetation. Pepper spray should not be sprayed on the ground, tents, or vegetation as a deterrent. In field studies in Alaska, brown bears were strongly attracted to spray residue and rubbed and rolled in it."

Bob

Re. pepper spray for coyotes

On one of my neighborhood walks, we used to frequently run into an aggressive dog that was allowed to roam. This dog attacked my dog a couple of times. I spoke with a few trainers regarding the best way to dissuade an attacking dog. They recommended one of those cans of air that lets out a very loud horn sound. Each spoke against carrying pepper spray if the dog is attacking spraying pepper spray might cause it pain which could in turn cause it to become more aggressive. In addition, if the dog is close to your dog, the spray may affect your dog and/or you as well, thus preventing a hasty retreat. I don't know how well this would apply to coyotes. The horn worked nicely against the dog.

HikerBob said:
Just an FYI if traveling through Massachusetts:

From http://www.mass.gov

"Pepper spray, Mace® and similar less-than-lethal chemical agents are restricted under Massachusetts law and a person must have a Firearms Identification Card to purchase, possess and carry such items."

Bob

I trust N.H. is not as strict. Its probably more assurance for me than anything but I did not enjoy the coyote encounter. Here in Midwest, I'll carry/try it on day hikes prepping for the magnificent "whites"..

I vaguely remember hearing about either telephone or electric company employees carrying a spritzer with ammonia for aggresive dogs. Anyone have an idea of whether there would be permanent damage?

First of all, let me say that I love animals and would never do anything to hurt the little critters unless it was absolutely necessary.
NOTE: I have hunted in the past for the purpose of putting food on the table, but I no longer hunt.
So no little red squares...ok ;)

About 3 years ago my sister was attacked by one of our neighbors dogs. We soon learned that a one of their other three dogs had attacked another person. Shortly after this I purchased a can of MkIII 10% pepper spray. (police issue type)

One night a few months later I was taking out the garbage. When I turned away from the dumpster the dog that had bitten my sister was standing between me and the house. I attempted to walk aroud him along the road withdrawing my pepper spray from my pocket as I went. The growling dog was walking parallel to the road staying between me and the front door to the house.

I took my eyes off him for a moment to see where the mailbox was before I walked into it. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the dog rushing at me. I brought my left arm up defensively and raised the pepper spray squeezing the trigger as I was aiming. (there wasn't alot of time to aim) The dog turned almost instantly and ran back to his house.

A few months later,
I was again taking the garbage out(That's my job :D), I had just dropped the trash into the dumpster when the neighbors other aggressive dog, this one was much larger than the first one, about 100-120 lbs appeared around the corner of the dumster. He snapped at me then stood there growling, I calmly took out my pepper spray and gave him a little squirt from about 3 feet away. He yelped...turned, and ran away.

These two dogs still live next door to us, but neither of them have ventured onto our property since. They don't even come close.

I could have used some other means of defense but pepper spray is extremely effective and the chance of permanent damage is very remote, and the dogs get to bark another day. :D

By the way, the second dog I sprayed...the big one, is deaf. I don't know how well an air horn would work on him.

NOTE: Don't confuse pepper (OC) spray with mace or tear gas. Pepper spray is far more effective and takes effect much quicker than the other two. That's why it is carried by the majority of police officers in the US.

They do make sprays specifically for dogs, and for bears. The 10% OC spray works well on dogs, black bears, and best of all muggers and rapists.

Pepper spray is most effective when sprayed in the eyes and nostrils of the attacker.

Some more info
Even more info

Last edited: