Coyote Encounter on Day Hike ??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coyotes in the ADK's

About a month ago, Chili Willie and I saw a coyote, dead, on the side of the Northway, Rt 87, just north of mile marker 74, northbound.

I also remember a story in one of the local Albany papers a year or so ago about a local hunter who was attacked by coyotes and bitten. Seems he was turkey hunting, using a turkey call, and they apparently thought he was a turkey. I think he shot one of them but the other got away. I can't remember how badly he was chewed up, but I am pretty sure he went to the hospital for treatment.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
NOTE: Don't confuse pepper (OC) spray with mace or tear gas. Pepper spray is far more effective and takes effect much quicker than the other two.

Absolutely true. I have been in tear gas (CS gas) with people that it didn't effect. I have never met anyone that pepper spray (OC) didn't effect.

I will say though, that I saw a grizzly sniff the air one time when he was sprayed with OC and I swear he acted like he was thinking, umm, extra flavoring. :D

Keith

I had a similar experience to Dugan. A dog that lives 4 blocks up from me approached my dog when we were out on a walk. She had to go about 85 lbs, whild my dog was about 40 at the time. My boy was on the leash, she wasn't. They sniffed noses, started to do the circle greeting, and something made her snap. She lunged at my dog, who was just a puppy, mind you, and tried to take him down. It took me 1/2 a second to react and bury my boot tip in her ribcage, I grew up playing soccer. She backed down, yelping and gasping for air while the kids who were supposed to be watching her started yelling, "Daisy! Daisy!" Haven't had any trouble with her since then. They keep her inside or on a leash. Yeah.

My cousin encountered a rabid fox while hiking in AZ. There was no mistaking that something was seriously wrong--I believe it charged them. He husband ended up killing it (with his hiking stick and his feet, I believe) and they hiked out the body so they could report it to fish and game.

Its a good idea never to pick-up , or touch any dead or dying animal you encounter. Its dead or dying for a reason you probaly don't want to become a part of. If attacked and you kill the animal by all means bring it back for testing. Try not to damage the brain and spinal area. My 80+year old father was attacked several years ago by a bobcat while walking ,which was shot and tested positive for rabies. He underwent the treatments, but went downhill rapidly and died a couple of years later. ( He went from walking 3 miles a day and practicing law, to being bed ridden and almost senile)Another friend picked up a dead fox in the road, which tested possitive and ended up taking the shots, as well as his girlfriend who came into contact with the animal. I was bitten by a bat , which I was able to kill, and have tested, negative, and avoided the shots. that summer I destroyed 7-8 racoons on my property, the first tested rabid, after that the health department told me to stop bringing them in. Since , I've heard of everthing from cows to otters being infected. No need to be scared, just careful.

Dads Day Gift for Coyotes

For Father's Day, my wife and kid's gave me a can of pepper spray. Maybe they do care for my safety a little bit (or is it the dog?). Coyotes beware unless I misfire into my own face :D

NH "wolf" coyotes

This thread is an interesting coincidence for me. I had only ever seen coyotes in Yellowstone--until yesterday morning. For the last several years, I've heard coyotes on the hill behind where I live in Franconia NH but never actually seen one. Yesterday morning I looked out into my field, suddenly high with grass after all the rain, and saw what I thought was a large fox. The pointy ears suggested fox at least. There was also a turkey in the field so I assumed the fox was after the turkey. But as the "fox" moved into the open, it became clear that it was a coyote. Too big and wrong color for a fox. This was about 9 a.m. The coyote slowly moved across the field and disappeared into the brush. No interest in the turkey. A little digging around turned up this info from F&G on the growing population of this NH newcomer and its relationship to gray wolves of Quebec:

"New Hampshire's Wily Coyote
You may wake up to the sound of coyotes howling in the weeks to come, because February is the peak of the coyote-mating season. Come April, 4 to 8 pups will be born in a den concealed in a brushy slope or under a log pile. The male coyote hunts for the female, bringing her food, which she regurgitates to feed her young. About 70 percent of the pups will die before their first birthday.
The eastern coyote is a relative newcomer to New Hampshire. The first coyote was seen in Holderness in 1944. During the 1970s and 80s, coyotes spread throughout the state. Today, they are entrenched statewide in every available habitat from rural to urban.
Studies by Dr. Robert Wayne of the University of California on tissue samples of New England coyotes found a great deal of wolf blood related to the gray wolf of Quebec. This is why our coyotes, weighing 48-60 pounds, are nearly twice the size of the western species. Coyotes come in an array of colors, from creamy to rust-colored to tawny gray. Their erect, pointed ears and bushy, drooping tails distinguish them from dogs.
Coyotes are opportunists and eat all sorts of things, depending on the time of year. In the summer, they eat fruits and berries, insects and small mammals like rabbits, squirrels and mice. They'll also eat dead animals and prey on deer slowed by deep snow.
New Hampshire trappers have harvested an average of 379 coyotes each year over the past decade. The coyote is the only furbearer species that has a year-round open season for hunting and trapping in the state, but this hasn't reduced New Hampshire's coyote population. No wonder this crafty canid is called "wily coyote!" --Eric Orff, Wildife Biologist; and Dr. Judy Silverberg, Wildlife Educator"